Moving from the UK to Nova Scotia

kalel2000

Time Out
Oct 3, 2012
A perfect example as to why you should ask people who lived in Nova Scotia, rather than someone who doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

I could toss out all kinds of ignorant generalizations about Alberta, BC, etc. too, but I won't and I'd rather let those who live there speak for themselves.

Sure there's all kinds of jobs out west.... but then the living costs cancel out any benefit and you're then stuck in a densly populated area in which you were originally trying to escape from..... one of the reasons why I didn't bother moving out west in the first place.

Besides, how does one actually go about creating more jobs and more opportunities somewhere when you're constantly told not to go there, but rather, work somewhere else? Gee, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that nothing will ever improve if you continually avoid that place and tell people to never go there.

Useless people indeed..... you arsepuckers out west sure don't have a problem with people in Atlantic Canada flying out west to work the crap-jobs in the oil sands nobody else there wants to do.

Considering how many people from Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland & NB take the time to leave their families, fly out west and work the crap jobs, then fly all the way back across the country to be with their families again for a couple of weeks before doing it all over again..... it sounds to me that they work a hell of a lot harder for what little they get then say.... You do.
I have a dream to go live in Nova Scotia because of the weather and because there are plenty of beaches. Does Nova Scotia has a market for software develop. I was actually planing to start a business that involved software development there and wanted to include graphic design. Do you think that I can think of the lack of graphic design jobs implies that there are opportunities to create graphic design.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I have a dream to go live in Nova Scotia because of the weather and because there are plenty of beaches. Does Nova Scotia has a market for software develop. I was actually planing to start a business that involved software development there and wanted to include graphic design. Do you think that I can think of the lack of graphic design jobs implies that there are opportunities to create graphic design.

Well again, to be honest, you need to really look hard. Jobs are there, but not many. Still, I ended up finding work a number of times when needed, and I lived fine off the pay. I'm making double what i was earning in Halifax here in Melborune Aus, but the living costs basically place me in the same standard of living i had back in Halifax, so it's complicated.

If you are looking for Graphic Design work in Nova Scotia, focus on the Halifax Regional Municipality, Pictou County area, or maybe even Sydney in Cape Breton for larger pools of opportunity.

But that's not to say you won't find the perfect job outside of those areas in smaller towns.

Animation & Film is greatly limited, but around... The main Graphic Design jobs you will find are in the sign & print industries. A big company in Pictou County is the "Pictou Advocate".... In The Halifax area, there's a lot of small businesses and not too many dominating ones.

Two sign companies i have worked for in Halifax/Dartmouth were "United Sign" and "Mattatall Signs"

Mattatall Signs - Home

United Sign, The Full Service Sign Company - Interior and Exterior Signs, Halifax, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, www.unitedsign.ca

There is also another big sign company called "Scotia Signs"
http://www.scotia-signs.ca/

Scotia Signs does stuff for one of the major grocery chains, Atlantic Superstore, while the company I worked for, Mattatall Signs, do work for Sobeys, the other main grocery chain in NS... United Sign does stuff for Coca Cola, while Mattatall does stuff for Pepsi, Subway, etc.

There is also DayNite Signs

Home Page

Hope these help get you started.

As for software declvelopment, that's out of my league nor have I searched myself, but I'm sure there's.a decent selection of opportunities...

And just because there may not be many businesses out there, that doesn't mean you cna't make a successful new one, if you know how to market yourself.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Hey kalel-whatever number you're going to try using next time!

There was a reason your previous account (kalel1200) was banned. You made a post with a spam-link at the bottom of it. We don't like spam here, so please do not return with any more accounts! You had a chance to be a member here, and you blew that chance. Good-bye!

GroundWater

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2008
Gibbons
Alberta all the way, I have worked with expats from the UK and they were all employed before they even arrived.