Movie thread... any good suggestions on ones to see?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

Is that a furby?? Noo!! It's Gizmo!
BrightlightBrightlight

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Just watched Coffee and Cigarettes last night - it is really good, an odd little series of vignettes centered around... well, you guessed it, coffee and cigarettes.

More to the point is what I'm about to see - this Tuesday, Fahrenheit 911 comes out on video and so does Day After Tomorrow. Whooooeeee! I was assuming they'd be smart enough to get Fahrenheit 911 out before the election, and by god they did.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Coffee and Cigarettes

Someone referred me to that movie once, I have no idea what it's about exactly :eek: Mainly because my main diet for the day equals French cigarettes (Gauloises) and coffee (espresso/nescafé instant/perked)... then the coffee gets a little harder in the evening :)

What's is about exactly? Can you rate it inbetween 1 and 10 Haggis? I might rent it or download it if I get some good ratings to go by :)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I'd give it about a 7, it was enjoyable but strange. Whereas I liked it a good deal, I can't really put a finger on the reason why. Anybody looking for any sort of action will be sorely disappointed in this movie, for virtually the whole time is spent at tables over coffee and cigarettes.

The format is a series of simple, quirky vignettes in which you get quick, unhelpful-but-interesting glimpses into the strangeness and, conversely, tediousness, of human relationships. It is rather like sitting in a smoky cafe somewhere listening in on the conversations at other tables. The setting seems apt, for much of banal life gets discussed over coffee and cigarettes consumed in seedy little coffee shops of the kind found everywhere, where those frustrating little conversations take place, the kind that don't really go anywhere and leave you unsatisfied.

It is strangely mesmerizing, never boring (at least not to me) and the time passes quickly. On the other hand, you're left with the feeling that there should have been more... or that maybe there was more, and that you simply missed the point. I think watching it a second time would reveal far more.

eastcoastrob

Nominee Member
Sep 23, 2004
Saint John, New Brunswick
Memento is one of my favs. Although the DVD made me wanna shoot myself. You have to go through this psychological test to get at the special feature or even to watch the movie and depending on the path you take it gives you different stuff (deleted scenes, photo gallery, etc).

Another good flick is "waydowntown". It's pretty screwed up. May even be Canadaian. I enjoyed it.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well I hate to admit this but ...the other night a friend came over and we went for a little bike ride and than we had a hoot...and we rented a movie called mouse hunt...my god I was rolling on the floor...it was so funny...is it just me or did anybody else see that movie and laugh....and I have now seen big fish 6 times...and I am gonna see it again 8)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Haven't seen Mouse Hunt but it reminded me of one of my very most favourite movies, The Mouse That Roared, with Peter Sellers. Terrific movie, hilarious, still totally apt for today.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
You should see it haggis, its very sweet and funny, and to see christoper walken playing comedy is worth it.

Nathan Lane, Lee Evans, Christopher Walken, Vicki Lewis, Maury Chaykin, Eric Christmas, Michael Jeter, William Hickey

Upon the death of their father, down-on-their-luck brothers Ernie and Lars Smuntz are surprised to learn that their inheritance is a crumbling, old mansion that both assume is worthless. But they couldn't be more wrong. In fact, the dilapidated homestead is an architectural masterpiece and worth millions. But just as the hapless Smuntzes are all set to cash in, they discover there's one very small problem keeping them from life on Easy Street-the house is occupied by a tenacious mouse, who has no intention of vacating the premises. Two grown men versus one teensy, weensy mouse. It's no contest...for the mouse.

From ferocious feline to deranged exterminator...the only thing Ernie and Lars might catch in their "better mousetrap" is themselves. The brothers are about to learn that "Are you a man or a mouse?" is a trick question as they engage in a battle of wills with the wily little rodent that may just bring down the house

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Hey, Pea, I might just have to check it out! I like Christopher Walken, he's great, isn't he. I was under the mistaken idea that Mouse Hunt was a cartoon, now that I know it isn't I will definitely rent it.

Hmm, this is supposed to be in the other thread but I forgot to put it: I miss our American posters too, very much! I'd like to know whether they have just wandered off or whether they felt unwelcome.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
You mean like American Voice and Wulf-Krigan? I kinda miss seeing them around too. I don't know why they would feel unwelcome.. Sure there was a fight, but I can't see why they can't get past that.

Prometheus is on and off but he's always busy I think.

Why not message them and ask them why they left? Try using the email feature in a user profile. IE: American Voice, http://www.canadiancontent.net/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=256 click the email button.

Everyone is welcome here, dunno why they would feel that way.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I have to agree with you, Andem. This is a welcoming and friendly forum, one of the best. Besides, it is a Canadian forum, and as such must have the occasional (ha ha) rant about All Things American, especially given that it is election time.

I won't be private messaging American Voice, though. There are a hundred reasons why he might leave, all of them valid to him. If he wants to return, he will.

Your last statement says it all, Andem. More than any other forum I've known, this is one where you can honestly say, 'everybody is welcome here'.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
peapod said:
http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2004-07-29/flicks_review.html

Yes, I knew they had done a remake of the Manchurian Candidate (a terrific movie, the original), but maybe because it is first thing in the morning on what is, for all practical purposes, a 'Monday' morning, I am still brain-dead and don't get the connection to this thread. Am I missing something? Is the author of the review American Voice, by chance? Is that his real name, Curt Holman?

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Not at all, I just thought I had missed the point... after all, I am the one, not you, who initially broke the subject of this thread! I didn't mean any attack, for heaven's sake, I just honestly thought you might have been pointing out the whereabouts of American Voice.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
peapod said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: just checking to see if you were awake or not :p

Well, I'm not, and have no immediate plans of getting awake. :cool:

I actually read the stupid review twice, trying to recognize signs that it might have been written by the missing American Voice. Tch! Funny the way he just disappeared like that.

As for the movie, the first was so good I can't imagine why anybody would do a remake, but often I find myself pleasantly surprised about such remakes, so I'll be sure to check it out.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
:p :p :p I had you going there :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for giving me my first laugh of the day 8) it was like poking a sleeping tiger :p

Yes, the remake might we very good.