Movie thread... any good suggestions on ones to see?

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
At Blockbusters it is listed under new releases, the 7-day variety... if you have a Blockbusters in your town. Oh wait. That's right. There's a Blockbusters in EVERY town, along with a chicken in every pot.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
I saw "Welcome to Mooseport" the other night. (rental). It was suprisingly more entertaining than I was suspecting. Ray Romano plays the bumbling local really well (not that that's surprising from his role on Everybody loves Raymond), but Gene Hackman's comedic talent was surprising.

AND it was a good date movie. There's even a happy little love story in it. If you're looking for some light fun fluff, check this one out.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I haven't seen Shrek. I hate, absolutely hate, all animated shows. The only thing worse is a movie with real animals that have lips that are computer-generated to look as though they are talking. Oh, I really hate those. Blech.

Eurotrip was cheesy, can't emphasis the cheesy factor enough, but was fun, silly and eminently watchable.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Actually, I don't know why I hate them. I have been, on occasion, unpopular in my family for this reason, but I can't seem to help it, I get bored in two seconds flat, trying to watch them. One minor exception, I can watch Charlie Brown's Christmas now. Never used to like it but it now has a certain retro value that appeals.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I found Big Fish to be an excellent movie...although watching in the theatre was kind of strange. My friend and I were killing ourselves laughing, in fact my friend was laughing so hard she started snorting...a no no at the theatre. Strange thing was no one else in the theatre seemed to think it was funny....it was like being in the twilight zone

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
I just saw "The Terminal", with Tom Hanks, the other night at the theatre. It's quite good. And funny. My husband called it a good "date movie". Tom Hanks, as usual, is stellar, and I was impressed with Catherine Zeta-Jones subdued character, quite different than other characters she has played.

Check this one out if you're looking for a movie this weekend.

Lisa

Electoral Member
May 22, 2004
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Owkeej, I finallu got the chance to see Shrek 2. It was out for the first time in the Netherlands yesterday.

Really funny! Especially the donkey and Puss in Boots.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I watched I, Robot just now. NOT RECOMMENDED! The plot is boring and action only really starts 2/3 through the movie. If you can call it plot, that is.

Will Smith.... BAD!

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I agree with Andem, I Robot is boring. Very boring. Just came back from the move theater and I still feel bored.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Never even heard of i, Robot. My least recommended movie. AI. Aritificial Intelligence. That movie started off with so much potential and then it totally went off the rails. It was so terrible, that we couldn't believe it could actually be that terrible, and kept waiting for it to get better. It didn't. Don't see it.

See instead "The Cooler" on video with William H Macy. It's a nice entertaining, non big budget movie. I liked it.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I would suggest, though, Don't tell mom the babysitters dead! There's a DVD version available now and it's just such a great movie. Released by MTV in 1991, this movie has me in laughter for an hour and a half! Christina Applegate was great... just hilarious :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101757/
(don't trust the IMDB ratings!!!!!!)

LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
Well last week I seen "King Arthur" It wasn't to bad...It was missing something I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe my expectations were to high for it...

Now that I robot, i was ponderign on seeing, just cuz will smith can be a good laugh. BUT COME ON!!! GET OUTTA THE SAVE THE EARTH MOVIES BUDDY! I think the robots look a little strange...so I might just wait till it comes out on DVD and save me a few bucks.

I do wish to see The Terminal though and The Notebook prehaps next week :)

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
Haggis McBagpipe said:
I loved 'Lost in Translation', thought it was one of the better movies I've ever seen.

Really?

I tried hard to find something to like about it, but couldn't. I remember sitting through the movie and waiting for something to happen and then the movie ended.

Could you tell me why you think it was good, I obviously have missed something. :)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
It isn't a matter of missing anything, you simply have different tastes. I liked the movie because it was an honest story about the relationship between two people who feel alienated from the circumstances in their lives; she, because she is in an unhappy marriage, he, because he is living the rather empty and tawdry life of a celebrity. They meet, they become friends, but the predictable Hollywood story does not follow, and that is something I liked.

It is a simple little movie about two ordinary people. It lacks the predictability of typical Hollywood movies, and it seemed a more realistic ending.

I thought it was one of the finest jobs of acting Bill Murray has done.

I felt that the movie had the slow unfolding drama typically seen in foreign movies, without resorting to the Hollywood formula of two people meet - they like each other - something happens to make them not like each other - it gets fixed - they get together and live happily ever after.

And there is one scene in that movie that was, to me, utterly brilliant: when Murray whispers into the woman's ear, but you don't know what he says. That just blew me away, it was very powerful.

Basically, I think the movie is good for people who like the style of foreign movies, slow without a lot of action. I happen to prefer foreign movies to American movies, so it suited me well.

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
It is a simple little movie about two ordinary people. It lacks the predictability of typical Hollywood movies, and it seemed a more realistic ending.
With this, I absolutely agree. I also thought both of them were credible, so yes, acting was good.

But I guess I do expect a little more going on, a little more of a story. And I found it a bit annoying that the cultural differences between Japan and States were a little exaggerated, or maybe the movie just focused on them too much, so I got that vibe of superiority you often get from american tourists abroad.

Anyway, Haggis, thank you for your reply.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Thread back from the dead! :lol:

Ok, so I wanted to recommend a movie I watched last night called "Taking Lives". It's a movie with Angelina and bunch of guys which apparantly takes place in Montréal but I noticed most of the footage was shot in Québec City (including the first cop I saw right when it said "MONTREAL, CANADA" had a "ville de quebec" badge on his jacket)... another fishy thing I noticed is that all of the supposed Montreal cops all had French (france) accents.. both when they spoke in English and French.

Sorry for ranting.. it was a pretty good movie. The ending is a little disturbing.. Actually the whole movie is. But check it out for yourself at http://imdb.com/title/tt0364045/ :)

Cheers!