Movie thread... any good suggestions on ones to see?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Any suggestions for new movies or recent movies to check out? I havent really watched a movie in a while and curious if anyone has any suggestions. I've seen a few from 2002, 2003.. latest movie I watched was that one with Matt Damon in the desert. HOW BORING!

"Das Tunnel" was EXCELLENT, one I also recently watched. It's in German, I didn't see any english version. There is probably a DVD with subtitles though. It's about families which plan and become successful at tunneling under the Berlin Wall and then escaping from the DDR.

The new tomb raider wasnt that great.. Still havnt watched the WHOLE thing, but I will one of these days. I got bored during the middle.

Hmm, I can't think of others right now. When I do I'll post them.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Oh! And "The Skulls 2". I don't suggest anybody watch this just because the first one was good. Second one... ugh, boring. It's so hard to find new good movies!

grimy

Apr 11, 2004
We watched House of Sand and Fog last night, starring Ben Kingsley Jennifer Connelly. Very intense, very good with great acting.

Highly recommend it.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
My wife and I have been going retro.

She was a big fan of Redford in the 70's (can you guess our age) but I never saw these... I was in to smokin' and listening to Yes.

'will be there May 7th at the ACC - and to Krisha Das at the Yonge/Carleton Yoga centre at the end of this month...

Back to Redford, Three Days of the Condor. THE best spy movie ever made -- the dark world of intelligence exposed.

The theme was years ahead of its' time and reflects today's geo-politics - I have the clip for anyone interested.

Then last night we watched All the Presidents Men - Redford and Hoffman. Watergate is repeated by 9/11. Fascinating.

Other than that we tend to enjoy period or european movies - still an art form.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Ok.. Here's a pretty good movie that I've seen:

Adrenaline. It's a strange story, a Dutch-British coproduction so it's not from Hollywood.

This movie is about a smart, successful lawyer who is involved with a girl, whos father is also a successful lawyer. He owes his success to her father. Anyways, he plays favourites for this man over his daughter. The daughter gets involved with a group of adrenaline junkies and... watch the movie to hear more.. It's better than it sounds :D

CozyBeaver

May 24, 2004
Port Alberni, BC
Troy: 10/10 :: Very good movie, not too hollywoodized.
Shrek 2: 9/10 :: Very funny, good underlaying message. Awsome animation.

Look out for Alexander, the movie made by Oliver stone. its going to kick ass.

Older Movies:

Equalibrium: it had a limited release, but has fast become a cult favorite. This movie is very well made and is one of my favorites. Its about a eutopian society that tries to stop mans inhumanity towards man by stopping all emotions by using a drug. Anyone who feels is commiting a crime of sence offence and is punished by death. The movie has a very strong story line, rich in plot and dialogue to top it off with very intense action scenes. Rent it, i bet you you'll love it!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I can't wait to see Shrek II. I've heard about it and I'm dying to see it! I really gotta find the time to get out and see it sometime.

Cyberm4n

Electoral Member
Jun 6, 2002
Toronto

it has brad pitt in it. how can it not be hollywoodized?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Bah! All high budget films are hollywoodized. Including Troy.. Ofcourse it's not about a bunch of kids in California getting drunk at high school prom then having sex afterwards. Troy is definately on my "to see" list because, well, I love movies!

I think I'm flooding this thread, so I will stop where I am ;p

Cyberm4n

Electoral Member
Jun 6, 2002
Toronto
ok, i was told Troy was boring and over-rated! i'm not gonna waste my time with it, i trust my friends. bleh!?

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Shrek 2 is utterly amazing.. CG has some a very very long way. The utter scale of this movie and the preciseness in that it was made will blow you away. I'd give it a 9.5/10.. And lets note that I've never given a CG movie anything higher than 7/10.

Final Fantasy I gave 6.5/10.. Shrek 1 was 7/10... Shrek 2 is amazing.. you gotta go see it.

Lisa

Electoral Member
May 22, 2004
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Cyberm4n said:

it has brad pitt in it. how can it not be hollywoodized?

Indeed, Brad Pitt means Hollywood movie. i have seen Troy and i have to say that it was the typical Hollywood movie. It was entertaining but not quite the same as the history of Helen. All the love stories around Paris and Helen are just too romanticised, typically Hollywood. Besides Helen is blonde?! I am a proud blonde girl, but hey you have to admit that Helen was not blonde! Just typically Hollywood to move the beauty ideal of the Ancient world to the beauty ideal of Hollywood.

And if you wanna watch a good movie? Let's see, Love Actually is a very good movie and The Butterfly Effect with Ashton Kutcher. Normally i don't like him but it was a very good movie!

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
Two good foreign movies:

Whale Rider (New Zealand)

Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain (France)

Amélie is slightly a chick-flick though. :wink:

cookies

Jun 1, 2004
www.cellphones.ca
To be very honest...

Troy = Disappointment... Maybe it's just me...

The Day After Tomorrow = Waste of money... If you loved Deep Impact go watch it...

Shrek 2 = Just hilarious!

Gloomy Sunday = Sad but true. It's good.