Mormonism: Cult or Religion?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

what is christian ?..... to me, just like a Jew ,Conservative , a liberal ,Muslim or Jehovah witness it is only a label ,a word which can be used for different purposes depending on your needs and the nature of your self image .

what is christian ?..... to me, just like a Jew ,Conservative , a liberal ,Muslim or Jehovah witness it is only a label ,a word which can be used for different purposes depending on your needs and the nature of your self image .

What is blue, but a label?

Semantic nihilism won't get you very far.

The piece in the OP seems intent on defining Christianity in such a way as to exclude Mormons, presumably because of some negative predisposition. I take a rational stance that a real definition of Christianity that does not encompass Judaism and Islam is possible and clearly encompasses Mormonism.

Moreover, by the definition I proposed. I am not a Christian. But by the definition of what it means to be Catholic according to the Catholic church, I am a Catholic.

But I am an atheist. A non-Christian, Catholic, atheist.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Moreover, by the definition I proposed. I am not a Christian. But by the definition of what it means to be Catholic according to the Catholic church, I am a Catholic.

But I am an atheist. A non-Christian, Catholic, atheist.

Sounds like you are a multiple personality. :p

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
All religions are cults that impede free thinking and freedom of self. IMHO
They are as good as Border Collies at keeping large herds of sheeple under control. Sometimes a necessary thing, like communism or democracy.

The problem with your statement is that there are varying degrees with which people adhere to the dogmatic aspects of religion. Not everybody who is religious is strict in their application of the teachings. There is nothing inherently wrong with religious teachings, it is those who treat them dogmatically tend to be rigid in their thinking. Most religious people are usually too busy taking care of their lives to give it too much thought. Those who spend most of their lives thinking about their religion tend to be fundamentalist and those are the dangerous ones.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
i know, the photographic negative of Xian teaching.

Alley needs serious deprogramming. You have any holy water and exorcism manuals?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
MUCSIBOV XAP

Some backwards Latin may help.

PS
I think Niflmir self-description applies to a large swath of Canadians.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Or just confused.
Oh, I don't think he is confused. Those who have given him those labels are the ones who are confused.

I like to confuse. I tell people I am either a spiritual anarchist or a born again pagan. Not too many people can come up with an intelligent response.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
defining something as a cult or religion allows the small minded to decide from which angle to attack.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Oh, I don't think he is confused. Those who have given him those labels are the ones who are confused.

Yeah, I didn't put that much thought into it. Just seemed like a semi-appropriate response to the multiple personality quip. Think of it as 'smart-ass lite'. :)

I like to confuse. I tell people I am either a spiritual anarchist or a born again pagan. Not too many people can come up with an intelligent response.

Either way you're a rebel. :)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yeah, I didn't put that much thought into it. Just seemed like a semi-appropriate response to the multiple personality quip. Think of it as 'smart-ass lite'. :)

Either way you're a rebel. :)
Been one all my life - rebel without a pause.