Missing boy safe at home

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If I had added "corner" to that location, would that have been easier for you to narrow it down?

Gerry, I've travelled Hwy. 3 and 22 from B.C. to Black Diamond, more times than you can shake a stick at and camped many times at the campground at Bellevue by the little chapel.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Gerry, I've travelled Hwy. 3 and 22 from B.C. to Black Diamond, more times than you can shake a stick at and camped many times at the campground at Bellevue by the little chapel.
I used to live at Burmis,across from where that little chapel used to be.You must know Corb Lund then and Ian and Sylvia.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I used to live at Burmis,across from where that little chapel used to be.You must know Corb Lund then and Ian and Sylvia.

Of course I'm quite familiar with Ian Tyson and know he has a ranch up near Longview and I love his songs. Quite often while camping overnight at Bellevue I'd take my morning walk up through the old mining town of Hillcrest. Beats reading a history book.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Of course I'm quite familiar with Ian Tyson and know he has a ranch up near Longview and I love his songs. Quite often while camping overnight at Bellevue I'd take my morning walk up through the old mining town of Hillcrest. Beats reading a history book.
That would be down to hillcrest.I live in frank,the part that didnt get buried in the big slide.

That would be down to hillcrest.I live in frank,the part that didnt get buried in the big slide.
Maybe you mean the ghost town Lille?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Maybe you mean the ghost town Lille?

Pretty sure it's Hillcrest on the south side of the Highway opposite Bellevue. There's a cemetary and a store, it's been a few years since I was there. The campground by the chapel is only about 2 miles east of Frank.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I see on another forum that the conspiracy nuts are emerging from the wood work. Too bad there are so many screwed up lives that have to get pleasure from this kind of sh*t. Today is a miracle and people ought to let it go at that and just be happy for the boy, his family and his community.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I agree its wonderful news however there is something nagging me here. They put out
a message to the accused, and he did what they expected he might do. Now follow the
bouncing ball for a moment.
First of all we heard how the Amber Alert was mishandled, we heard they were searching
far and wide, in BC, Alberta, and Washington State. They speculated he could be hiding
in deep woods or back roads or far from Sparwood.
Well it turns out the suspect was hiding under their nose and heard the radio plea to
return the boy. It may be they knew he was close by, in that case why the hell didn't they
set up a trap at the family home, just in case the child was returned there in the wee hours
of the morning? That is what happened and now they have to start a second expensive
search for the suspect and God knows how it will end. It could have ended last night with
the return of the child and the surrender of the suspect/
In any event I hope the child is able to get past this without serious damage and that they
get the suspect off the street without bloodshed

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I agree its wonderful news however there is something nagging me here. They put out
a message to the accused, and he did what they expected he might do. Now follow the
bouncing ball for a moment.
First of all we heard how the Amber Alert was mishandled, we heard they were searching
far and wide, in BC, Alberta, and Washington State. They speculated he could be hiding
in deep woods or back roads or far from Sparwood.
Well it turns out the suspect was hiding under their nose and heard the radio plea to
return the boy. It may be they knew he was close by, in that case why the hell didn't they
set up a trap at the family home, just in case the child was returned there in the wee hours
of the morning? That is what happened and now they have to start a second expensive
search for the suspect and God knows how it will end. It could have ended last night with
the return of the child and the surrender of the suspect/
In any event I hope the child is able to get past this without serious damage and that they
get the suspect off the street without bloodshed

I'm pretty sure the perpetrator is going to surface eventually and they should probably relax the search for him and put more energy into home security and hazard proofing their kids. They are talking now like the identity of the suspect is a foregone conclusion..................that may be a misnomer, but then again they are probably not divulging everything. Eventually his car is going to need gas!

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Pretty sure it's Hillcrest on the south side of the Highway opposite Bellevue. There's a cemetary and a store, it's been a few years since I was there. The campground by the chapel is only about 2 miles east of Frank.

Hillcrest is south of Bellevue,the cemetary also has the bodies of those killed in Canadas worst mine disaster.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
A co-worker used to work in Sparwood years ago where someone attempted to abduct one of their kids. A man came to their house when they were out and he told their sitter they had asked him to come and pick up their son. I don't think he was ever caught. It was about 15 years ago. Makes me wonder if there is a connection to this guy.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I heard CTV News questioning why the house wasn't under surveillance. I think that if the cops had been surveiling the house the young fellow might still be missing. It's only a matter of time that this guy will get nabbed. Perhaps they pulled back to offer safe entry, at any rate the kid is alive and that is in itself a major reason to celebrate.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A co-worker used to work in Sparwood years ago where someone attempted to abduct one of their kids. A man came to their house when they were out and he told their sitter they had asked him to come and pick up their son. I don't think he was ever caught. It was about 15 years ago. Makes me wonder if there is a connection to this guy.

In a town of 4000 I'd say the chance is very good! Unless of course he was in jail at the time. :smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I heard CTV News questioning why the house wasn't under surveillance. I think that if the cops had been surveiling the house the young fellow might still be missing. It's only a matter of time that this guy will get nabbed. Perhaps they pulled back to offer safe entry, at any rate the kid is alive and that is in itself a major reason to celebrate.

Criminals also have access to the internetm and this case sets a precedent. He's not the first, nor will he be the last, to abduct a child in this manner. Showing that the police WILL let you hand a kid over without arresting you then and there is important for the live return of innocents.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Criminals also have access to the internetm and this case sets a precedent. He's not the first, nor will he be the last, to abduct a child in this manner. Showing that the police WILL let you hand a kid over without arresting you then and there is important for the live return of innocents.

For sure, the main thing, much more important than the immediate arrest of the perpetrator is the safe return of the child unharmed. This particular miscreant is pretty "small potatoes" among the criminal element, very unsophisticated with very few resources, like probably no connection with organized crime and he will eventually surface in the short term. However the days of leaving doors and windows unlocked are definitely over, unless you have a vigilant dog!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My instinct tells me that when the perpetrator is found, he will be deceased at his own hand. Somehow, I expect he's already dead.

A bit early yet to draw that conclusion I think. I think he's set up camp somewhere deep in the bush, is probably pretty bush wise and a survivor.