Microbeads in cleansing products contaminating the Great Lakes

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
MISSISSAUGA – Plastic microbeads are used in cosmetic products to enhance the beauty routine, used to scrub the face and body for a few seconds – but they are having a long-term effect on the Great Lakes.
The microbeads are so tiny, scientists say they are literally being washed from our faces into the lakes.
“They’re too small to get caught by sewage treatment plants,” Nancy Goucher, an activist with Environmental Defence said. “They’re discharged right into our rivers and our lakes.”
Microbeads are plastic and most commonly made from polyethylene. According to Environmental defence that is the same type of plastic often used to make plastic shopping bags, milk crates, even trash bins.
“We’re using it, when there are natural, biodegradable alternatives,” says Goucher.
Microbeads are generally added to body products as exfoliants, meant to slough away dead skin cells. They have also been used in toothpaste, although according to, Dr. Euan Swan, a spokesperson with the Canadian Dental Association, the beads serve no functional purpose in toothpaste.
Microbeads in cleansing products contaminating the Great Lakes - Toronto | Globalnews.ca

This pollution is the one that worries me, these are microbeads but there is a lot more that industry in putting in our food, and all the products we use. They are also putting more pollution into the air than we humans can ever do but no one is doing anything about it. Instead they are blaming us for almost everything because industry in big money, we are peanuts.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I feel pretty oh so pretty oh so witty and I pity any guy who isn't me tonight..

Dammit, I've seen too many musicals with my gay bro.

And I'm still confused by Big Brother. WTF is that sh-t all about?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
They are causing a problem in the ocean as well. Proper sewage treatment would remove these things from the water supply. Better yet don't introduce them in the first place.