Men's mental health suffering in the workplace, survey finds

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

My God - this is serious, this is.... oh wait, it's just men. As a society we don't care about those. Phew, i thought they were talking about real people for a moment.

There will be no new laws, nobody will do anything about this, this will be forgotten tomorrow. Now if it were women or a specific minority group then fine. But nobody's going to care that men are having a difficult time of it. They deserve to suffer as individuals today because history.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I’m assuming (without having any reasonable justification for doing so) that your comment is somewhat tongue in cheek….or not.

Most men seem to just plug along, day after day, week after week, year after year, silently, regardless of their circumstances with the “Suck it up Buttercup” mentality.

Yes there are always exceptions, but generally as a rule of thumb…they’re not suppose to show weakness so they plug away until they come out the other side or eat a bullet (hopefully not taking anybody else with them).

I think male depression is grossly under -diagnosed for this reason. It’s hard enough to get most guys to go get a physical wound stitched up let alone go and discuss their problems with a stranger (without alcohol involved).

Reactions: petros and Serryah

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I’m assuming (without having any reasonable justification for doing so) that your comment is somewhat tongue in cheek….or not.

Most men seem to just plug along, day after day, week after week, year after year, silently, regardless of their circumstances with the “Suck it up Buttercup” mentality.

Yes there are always exceptions, but generally as a rule of thumb…they’re not suppose to show weakness so they plug away until they come out the other side or eat a bullet (hopefully not taking anybody else with them).

I think male depression is grossly under -diagnosed for this reason. It’s hard enough to get most guys to go get a physical would stitched up let alone go and discuss their problems with a stranger (without alcohol involved).

“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

--Thoreau

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

I think male depression is grossly under -diagnosed for this reason. It’s hard enough to get most guys to go get a physical would stitched up let alone go and discuss their problems with a stranger (without alcohol involved).
Without a doubt it goes under-diagnosed and for the very reasons you mention. A man who's "Depressed" is seen as weak - you suck it up, you have a few drinks at the bar, you pick yourself up and move on.

But the problem is that society doesn't see men, especially white males, as valuable enough to address this. Lets face it - if it were women we'd have lobby groups galore demanding something be done and the public would be clamoring behind them. We spend countless hours discussing how first nations people suffer because of something that happened to their parents or grandparents and they demand something be done, but this will barely get a moments notice because it's mostly white males who are suffering.

And it's not that women's groups or first nations issues SHOULDN'T be addressed. It's just sad to see that the compassion society demands for others is utterly non existent when it comes to males, especially white males.

Fun story - do you know what happened to the guy who started Canada's only male abuse shelter? He got bullied by women's activists so much he shut it down and committed suicide.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

My God - this is serious, this is.... oh wait, it's just men. As a society we don't care about those. Phew, i thought they were talking about real people for a moment.

There will be no new laws, nobody will do anything about this, this will be forgotten tomorrow. Now if it were women or a specific minority group then fine. But nobody's going to care that men are having a difficult time of it. They deserve to suffer as individuals today because history.
While there's a lot of truth to this women are at risk too.