Looking Back on the Avro Arrow

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
The nationalist are blinded by the flag.

Flag waving is fine, but the truth of the matter is that the program was canceled due to outrageous costs and a shift in Western strategy. No conspiracy. It was just the wrong plane at the wrong time that cost Canadians probably more of a bruised ego than money.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Flag waving is fine, but the truth of the matter is that the program was canceled due to outrageous costs and a shift in Western strategy. No conspiracy. It was just the wrong plane at the wrong time that cost Canadians probably more of a bruised ego than money.
You do realise that nationalist have fragile ones, right?

It's actually embarrassing to watch.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
You do realise that nationalist have fragile ones, right?

It's actually embarrassing to watch.

Nationalists believe their country can do no wrong, it's a pretty sad state of affairs when they are defending the indefensible especially for something that happened over half a century ago. Get over it.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Avro Arrow shot down by creative accounting

While I don't know just what inspired Reg Saretsky to write the March 30 column "Avro's end overshadowed revival of Forces" I feel compelled to challenge his somewhat unique view of Canadian history by commenting on some of the content of his article.

He repeats the myth of the Arrow costing $12 million a copy. That government figure included the cost of building the entire production plant, which at the time of the contract was to be spread over the cost of building 600 Arrows, then 300, then 100, then 37, then just 11.

These were government decisions that impacted development costs. Avro would not have built an entire plant for just 11 aircraft. Industry studies in fact suggest the fledgling Avro was more efficient at aircraft production than its more seasoned U.S. competitors.

more

Avro Arrow shot down by creative accounting

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
As a final shot on this topic, I have to say that the Arrow was killed by politics. Bear is right when he says that it was the wrong airplane at the wrong time. At one point, Canada was going to sell Arrows to European countries. Those orders never materialized and we were stuck with an airplane that nobody could afford, including us. We ended up buying the F-101 VooDoo, which was a supersonic, all weather, interceptor.....just like the Arrow.........Was that a coincidence? Unlike most on these forums, I saw it fly....I'll have to be satisfied with that.