Liberal Canadian MP Goes To US for Treatment

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Regarding N's concept of an egalitarian society, there is nothing in the constitution about the process of health care delivery, nor is there any reference to money as a corrupting influence. The Supreme Court, as we all know, in fact gave a damning indictment of the Medicare delivery process.

This is the relevant section of the Bill of Rights:
1. It is hereby recognized and declared that in Canada there have existed and shall continue to exist without discrimination by reason of race, national origin, colour, religion or sex, the following human rights and fundamental freedoms, namely,
(a) the right of the individual to life, liberty, security of the person and enjoyment of property, and the right not to be deprived thereof except by due process of law;

It is generally understood that "race, national origin, colour, religion or sex" is an incomplete list of unreasonable grounds for discrimination. The right to life and security of the person is broad language which includes health care: proof of concept, the case you mentioned used this section to make a ruling on the inadequacy of the current makeup.

The question is whether the government has an interest and/or responsibility to homogenize the enjoyment of those rights to prevent discrimination based on class.

I really should read that case in detail...

Toro

Senate Member
That may be N, but no where does it speak to the process of health care delivery.

After all, about a quarter of all health care spending in Canada resides outside the government system, and I do not recall anyone ever challenging the concept that such was a violation of human rights.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
That may be N, but no where does it speak to the process of health care delivery.

After all, about a quarter of all health care spending in Canada resides outside the government system, and I do not recall anyone ever challenging the concept that such was a violation of human rights.
More like 50% is private - eye care, dental, chiro, etc.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't "Tickle me Mikey" axe them from the Health Card already? What would have been next? Cardio clinics? Cancer clinics? Any diagnostic service contracted away from ER?

Wolf
McGuillicutty cut eye care and the other services were never part of OHIP. Senior care is another area that is mostly outside of OHIP.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Dunno ... but I think brain cancer has a ring to it. My wife couldn't jump ahead of any ques when it was first suspected. That month wait gave it lots of time to get well advanced. Now, if she'd had the money and the family name?

Wolf

That stinks Wolf. Sorry for your loss. Under any circumstances that hurts... Universal or Private.

Last edited: