Let's talk maple syrup...

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I’m low maintenance & I like Pancake Syrup. For all I know it’s a petroleum product but I like it.
Maple syrup's special. I got nothing against them other varieties of sugar water, but the real article is in a class all its own.

I eat hamburger too. Just know and appreciate the difference between hamburger and ribeye.

Reactions: taxslave

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
My grandfather, way back in the day, made the best maple syrup and sugar in New Brunswick, IMHO.

I spent a lot of time at the sugar camp when I was a boy, but the farm and the camp were sold in 1962, and handed over to friends of the family, so I still spent time there. When I was a kid, the sap was collected with buckets on a yoke, carried by men on snowshoes, who then deposited it in a large vat on a sleigh, pulled by a horse. After the farm had passed to others, I actually gathered sap with a yoke, and whipped the sap/syrup to make sugar, which is harder than it sounds. Done in a rectangular vat about 3 foot by two foot, with paddles, a man on either side........it got difficult as it thickened up. Just like 200 years ago. In fact, there is a record of our family's sugar/syrup floated by raft down the Pollet River from Elgin to Petticodiac for sale.....in 1821.

I haven't been to a sugaring off in well over 40 years. I used to eat candy from the snow, washed down with sap straight out of a bucket hanging from a nearby tree.

I daily have a slug of syrup straight from the jug, chased by a mouthful of milk. Ambrosia. Nectar of the gods.

Petros, you're nuts. Medium is the one true syrup. :)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Boil some water, add brown or yellow sugar, a bit of butter, a bit of vanilla (optional) and voila, ghetto pancake syrup.

Once the crew on my armoured truck were talking about how good "maple syrup" was. Then one commented "Yep, that Aunt Jemima's is really great".....and I lost it.

"Aunt Jemima's!! FFFS, the closest that crap ever got to a maple tree was when it was in the back of a truck going down the highway. Garbage! Brown sugar and water!"

Then I brought them each a small bottle of the real stuff.