Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Re: RE: L.Libby Charged , Has resigned

pastafarian said:
[thread drift]
I wonder if we Canucks will see even a comparable player to Libby pay the price in the sponsorship scandal?[/thread drift]

To my knowledge, no one died as a result of the misappropriation of funds...

I believe that there should be a reckoning with regards to the Sponsorship scandal too...but there is just no comparing this with that...who gives a rat's ass about a couple hundred million bucks when hundreds of thousands of lives have been lost as a result of the Bush administration's war machine that was fuelled by lies...

The US needs to clean house with this...

Canada needs to see the example that is made...

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Vanni Fucci said:
pastafarian said:
[thread drift]
I wonder if we Canucks will see even a comparable player to Libby pay the price in the sponsorship scandal?[/thread drift]

To my knowledge, no one died as a result of the misappropriation of funds...

I believe that there should be a reckoning with regards to the Sponsorship scandal too...but there is just no comparing this with that...who gives a rat's ass about a couple hundred million bucks when hundreds of thousands of lives have been lost as a result of the Bush administration's war machine that was fuelled by lies...

The US needs to clean house with this...

Canada needs to see the example that is made...

((((Vanni)))).

.............agree.-no comparison. Why would someone bring up the "scandal " on this topic. Diversional tactic?? :roll:

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

Ocean Breeze said:
.............agree.-no comparison. Why would someone bring up the "scandal " on this topic. Diversional tactic?? :roll:

Well in defense of pastafarian, he did acknowledge that his statement was a result of "thread drift"...

One offtopic post deserves another, so I have a question for pastafarian:

Do you sport rotini dreadlocks, cause that would be cool... 8)

pastafarian

Electoral Member
Oct 25, 2005
in the belly of the mouse
.............agree.-no comparison. Why would someone bring up the "scandal " on this topic. Diversional tactic??

I'll explain it to you.

I'm a little weary of the dog and pony show that is US politics. Some of us knew about PNAC, Carlyle and the Grand Chessboard before 9/11. just as Nixon saw no jail time and was more-or-less rehabilitated as an Elder Statesman, Kissinger has never seen a fine, let alone the gallows (customary for major war criminals, I believe), Liddy and North make a good living as respected pundits for about 30% of the electorate down South, and on it goes...

Bush will retire in opulence to an uncertain legacy, that may only be remembered for its elevation of an unremarkable bumbling party-boy further beyond his level of (in)competence than anyone has achieved, or likely will ever achieve in human history. The Democrats may ride the infintesimal pendulum swing from the Right to the Centre-Right, still driven by American exceptionalism and hungry for money and power.

And yet we Canadians earnestly prattle on about it as though we had any more effect on it than an alley cat rooting through scraps in a dumpster in Medicine Hat.

We have Paul, who is lying away our health care and what's left of our sovereignty. The paltry few millions you sniff at are part of a wider legacy of Liberal waste and contempt for the ideals they preach in attempting to distinguish themselves from the Refaliancetories; millions which might have been used to improve conditions on Native reserves, in our hospitals, to work towards improving education, or the shameful discrepancy between income an cost-of-living in nunavut for example.

The purpose of the offhand comment was not to divert oh-so-critical Canadian brainpower away from US security issues, but rather to hint at a similar malaise within our own so-called democracy i.e. duplicitous officials driven by power and greed.

I agree, my other post was thread drift, so in the spirit of maintaining the integrity of this thread:

"Fitzgerald, Fitzgerald, he's our man!
If he can't nail them, no one can!
Gooooo, Fitzie!!!!!"

Edited to add: Vanni :lol: , fusili actually.

In fact the genesis (no pun intended) of my handle comes from a suggestion made as to what acolytes of the Church of the Giant Flying Spaghetti Monster should be called.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
The purpose of the offhand comment was not to divert oh-so-critical Canadian brainpower away from US security issues, but rather to hint at a similar malaise within our own so-called democracy i.e. duplicitous officials driven by power and greed.

no disagreement on that one. .....as long as one realizes how easy it is to stray off topic.

BTW: ......CNN is having a whale of a time with this one. As per usual format..........this will be playing out for days as they editorialize, crtique, and repeat.....ad infinitum. But it is a hot topic now.

pastafarian

Electoral Member
Oct 25, 2005
in the belly of the mouse
By the way, if this wern't a trial in which the CIA is the wronged party, but rather a REAL version of THIS trial, I'd be a little less cavalier about it.

Still, I did derail your thread, Ocean Breeze. Sorry. I apologize.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
pastafarian said:
By the way, if this wern't a trial in which the CIA is the wronged party, but rather a REAL version of THIS trial, I'd be a little less cavalier about it.

Still, I did derail your thread, Ocean Breeze. Sorry. I apologize.

s'ok........not "My" thread. It is part of the community. :wink:

thanks for the link. (had not seen that one before.)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I wonder if we Canucks will see even a comparable player to Libby pay the price in the sponsorship scandal?

I think our own problems are exacerbated, if not largely driven, by the state of politics in the US. Both our politicans and our media have a tendency to ape the kind of politicking that goes on south of the border.

I also don't think we really have a comparable player to Libby's position (or Rove's, or Rumsfeld's or Rice's) to pay the price for our scandals here. Our back room political operatives tend to stay in the back room. We see glimpses of the spinners, but they aren't front page news and they don't get cabinet positions.

Pop quiz: The head spinners in Canada for each party show up on TV once a week. Name them. (hint: Geoff Norquay is no longer a correct answer)

See what I mean?

Our system does not easily lend itself to the same kind of coverage of manipulation and scandal that the US does. Our manipulation and scandal is much harder to follow.

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC
We have Paul, who is lying away our health care and what's left of our sovereignty. The paltry few millions you sniff at are part of a wider legacy of Liberal waste and contempt for the ideals they preach in attempting to distinguish themselves from the Refaliancetories; millions which might have been used to improve conditions on Native reserves, in our hospitals, to work towards improving education, or the shameful discrepancy between income an cost-of-living in nunavut for example.

Am in full agreement with you. Paul Martin is a useless piece of pond scum and he should be shipped back to the pond where he belongs.

He is trying to pass himself off as a leftie when he actually leans distintly to the right. But he ain't fooling me or very many other people I think. I hope.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Cheney Adviser Indicted in CIA Leak Probe
Vice President Accepts I. Lewis 'Scooter' Libby's Resignation 'With Deep Regret'

By William Branigin, Carol D. Leonnig and Christopher Lee
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, October 28, 2005; 7:12 PM

Vice President Cheney's chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, was indicted today by a federal grand jury after a nearly two-year investigation into the leak of a CIA agent's identity.

Capping a week of political turmoil in Washington, Libby promptly resigned and left the White House. He expressed confidence that eventually he would be "totally exonerated," and both Cheney and President Bush praised his talent and dedication. "Obviously, today is a sad day for me and my family," Libby said in a statement.

The grand jury did not return an indictment against another top administration official who was caught up in the probe: Karl Rove, President Bush's top political strategist. But the special counsel in the case, Patrick J. Fitzgerald, said the investigation is "not over" and that another grand jury would be kept open in case prosecutors decide to press other charges.

Libby, 55, was indicted on charges of perjury, obstruction of justice and making false statements. The five-count indictment charges that he lied to FBI agents and to the federal grand jury about how and when he learned classified information about the employment of a CIA agent, Valerie Plame, and disclosed that information to three journalists. If convicted on all counts, Libby faces up to 30 years in prison and a $1.25 million fine.

In brief remarks before flying to Camp David for the weekend, Bush said he had accepted the resignation and praised Libby as an aide who "worked tirelessly on behalf of the American people and sacrificed much in the service to this country." He called the investigation "serious" and said the process now moves to a new phase, leading to a trial.

"While we are all saddened by today's news, we remain wholly focused on the many issues and opportunities facing this country," Bush said. "I got a job to do, and so do the people who work in the White House." He did not take any questions from reporters.

Cheney said in a statement that he accepted Libby's resignation "with deep regret." He called his aide "one of the most capable and talented individuals I have ever known." Cheney added that "it would be inappropriate for me to comment on the charges or on any facts relating to the proceeding."

The indictment was handed up today as the grand jury's term expired. Although no indictment was announced for Rove, 54, the White House deputy chief of staff, today's proceedings did not remove him from legal jeopardy, since the investigation is continuing.

An attorney for Rove, Robert Luskin, said in a statement this morning, "The Special Counsel has advised Mr. Rove that he has made no decision about whether or not to bring charges and that Mr. Rove's status has not changed. Mr. Rove will continue to cooperate fully with the Special Counsel's efforts to complete the investigation. We are confident that when the Special Counsel finishes his work, he will conclude that Mr. Rove has done nothing wrong."

Rove provided new information to Fitzgerald during eleventh-hour negotiations that "gave Fitzgerald pause" about charging Bush's senior strategist, said a source close to Rove. "The prosecutor has to resolve those issues before he decides what to do."

"We're not quite done," Fitzgerald said in an hour-long news conference this afternoon. But he refused to comment on whether anyone beside Libby would be charged in the case or whether additional charges against Libby would be sought.

"I will not end the investigation until I can look anyone in the eye and tell them we have carried out our responsibility sufficiently," Fitzgerald said.

Asked about what a reporter described as "Republican talking points" minimizing the significance of today's charges, the prosecutor said lying under oath "is a very, very serious matter" and a "serious breach of the public trust."

He said, "We didn't get the straight story, and we had to take action."

Fitzgerald said that contrary to what Libby told the FBI and the grand jury, he had held at least seven discussions with government officials regarding the CIA agent before the day when he claimed to have learned about her from Tim Russert of NBC News. "And in fact, when he spoke to Mr. Russert, they never discussed it," Fitzgerald said.

"At the end of the day, what appears is that Mr. Libby's story that he was at the tail end of a chain of phone calls, passing on from one reporter what he heard from another, was not true," the special counsel said. "It was false. He was at the beginning of the chain of phone calls, the first official to disclose this information outside the government to a reporter. And then he lied about it afterwards, under oath and repeatedly."

The indictment contains one count of obstruction of justice, two counts of perjury and two counts of making false statements. The charges involve testimony that Libby gave to the grand jury and other statements he made regarding his conversations with three journalists: Judith Miller of the New York Times, Matthew Cooper of Time magazine and Russert.

Libby is to be arraigned at a later date. The case has been assigned to U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton, an appointee of President Bush.

A press release issued by the special counsel's office said that before Plame's name appeared in the press in July 2003, her CIA employment was classified and her affiliation with the agency "was not common knowledge outside the intelligence community." It said that disclosing such information "has the potential to damage the national security" by preventing the person from operating covertly in the future, compromising intelligence-gathering and endangering CIA employees and those who deal with them.

However, the indictment does not charge Libby with the original alleged offense that the grand jury set out to investigate: illegally revealing the identity of a covert agent in violation of a 1982 federal law.

The presentation of the indictment lasted less than five minutes from the time U.S. Magistrate Judge Deborah A. Robinson entered courtroom No. 4 on the second floor of the E. Barrett Prettyman Federal Courthouse at 12:35 p.m. Fitzgerald and 10 members of his legal team, as well as the jury forewoman, had come to the courtroom about 15 minutes earlier, taking seats around a large wooden table near the center of the room and talking quietly among themselves. The rest of the grand jury entered a few minutes later. Neither Libby nor any of his attorneys was in the courtroom.

The grand jury included nine black women, four white women, three black men, two white men and a Hispanic man. Most appeared to be middle-aged or older, and all wore blank faces or serious expressions at today's proceeding. They sat quietly and did not speak to each other before the indictment was announced.

As tension mounted ahead of the indictment, the White House adopted a business-as-usual approach. Bush traveled to Norfolk, Va., today to deliver a speech on the war on terrorism, and Cheney was in Georgia to attend several political events.

The investigation by the federal grand jury in Washington was originally launched to determine whether anyone illegally leaked the name of Plame, a covert CIA agent, in an effort to discredit her husband, former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV, in retaliation for his criticism of the war in Iraq. Wilson began criticizing the war and the Bush administration after a 2002 trip he took at the behest of the CIA to the African country of Niger to look into reports that Iraq was seeking materials to build nuclear weapons.

In a statement read by his lawyer this afternoon, Wilson said, "Whatever the final outcome of the investigation and the prosecution, I continue to believe that revealing my wife Valerie's secret CIA identity was very wrong and harmful to our nation, and I feel that my family was attacked for my speaking the truth about the events that led our country to war."

But he said the indictment was no reason to celebrate. "Today is a sad day for America," Wilson said. "When an indictment is delivered at the front door of the White House, the office of the president is defiled. No citizen can take pleasure from that."

The indictment charges that Libby began acquiring information about Wilson's trip in May 2003 after a New York Times columnist disputed the accuracy of a Bush statement in his State of the Union address. The column said a former ambassador, who was not named, found the statement to be false.

According to the indictment, Libby learned Plame's identity from a senior State Department official in June 2003 and was told by Cheney that she worked in the CIA's Counterproliferation Division.

The two key subjects of the inquiry -- Rove and Libby -- have acknowledged talking about Plame to reporters, but they have denied leaking her name or committing other wrongdoing.

Libby testified that he did not identify Plame by name to reporters or discuss her covert status with them. But Miller of the New York Times has testified that she believed she first learned of Plame's CIA job from Libby, when the two spoke on June 23, 2003. Miller said she and Libby discussed Plame again in a meeting on July 8, 2003, and in a phone conversation a few days later, on July 12. She has said she first learned Plame's name from someone other than Libby but does not recall who it was.

The reported effort to discredit Wilson was rooted in a clash between the White House -- notably Cheney -- and the intelligence bureaucracy in the CIA and State Department over the war in Iraq. Grand jury testimony that has been disclosed suggests that Bush administration officials suspected the CIA of trying to shift blame for prewar intelligence failures to the White House.

The vice president played a central role in assembling the case for invading Iraq and repeatedly pressed for intelligence that would bolster his arguments. Ironically, it was a question from Cheney during an intelligence briefing that initiated the chain of events that led to the grand jury investigation. He had received a military intelligence report alleging that Iraq was seeking uranium from Niger and asked what the CIA knew about it.

As a result, Wilson was dispatched in February 2002 to look into claims that Iraqi President Saddam Hussein had attempted to buy uranium yellowcake from Niger for use in developing nuclear weapons. Wilson has said he found no evidence of any such effort and reported that the claims were false.

Nevertheless, President Bush said in his January 2003 State of the Union address that the British government had learned Hussein "recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."

Two months later, Bush ordered U.S. troops into Iraq to depose Hussein and eliminate a purported threat to the United States from Iraqi "weapons of mass destruction." No such weapons were found, nor was there evidence that the Hussein regime had reconstituted a nuclear weapons program.

In an opinion piece published in the July 6, 2003, New York Times, Wilson criticized Bush's State of the Union statement. Wilson wrote that if his findings in Niger were ignored because they did not fit the administration's "preconceptions about Iraq," then a case could be made "that we went to war under false pretenses." He said some intelligence related to Iraq's nuclear program was "twisted to exaggerate the Iraqi threat."

On July 14, conservative political commentator Robert D. Novak wrote a syndicated column that called Wilson's African mission into question, suggesting the trip was instigated by Wilson's wife and did not have high-level backing. Novak named Plame as "an Agency operative on weapons of mass destruction" and said "two senior administration officials" had told him she had suggested sending her husband on the Niger trip.

Wilson subsequently complained that the Bush administration had compromised his wife's CIA career in retribution against him.

The CIA then asked the Justice Department to investigate the leak. Fitzgerald, a hard-charging U.S. attorney in Chicago, was appointed special counsel for the probe in late December 2003. His charge was to determine whether anyone involved in the leak violated federal law, including the Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982. The act makes it a felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison, for a person with access to classified information to intentionally disclose the identity of a covert agent to anyone not authorized to receive classified information.

During the investigation, Fitzgerald sought grand jury testimony from several journalists who had spoken with administration officials about Plame, and he came down hard on those who refused to cooperate.

The federal judge in the case, Thomas F. Hogan, ordered the New York Times's Miller held for contempt for refusing to identify a confidential source, and she spent 85 days in jail in Alexandria, Va., before agreeing to testify about conversations with Libby. Although she did not write an article about the case, Miller interviewed Libby about the Plame matter and promised him anonymity. Miller said she agreed to testify when Libby specifically and personally released her from the confidentiality pledge.

Among those interviewed by Fitzgerald in the case have been Bush, Cheney and several of their top aides and advisers.

gotta ask........would ya trust anyone called SCOOTER :?: :?: :wink:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Cheney, Libby Blocked Papers To Senate Intelligence Panel
By Murray Waas, special to National Journal
© National Journal Group Inc.
Thursday, Oct. 27, 2005

Vice President Cheney and his chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, overruling advice from some White House political staffers and lawyers, decided to withhold crucial documents from the Senate Intelligence Committee in 2004 when the panel was investigating the use of pre-war intelligence that erroneously concluded Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, according to Bush administration and congressional sources.

Cheney had been the foremost administration advocate for war with Iraq, and Libby played a central staff role in coordinating the sale of the war to both the public and Congress.

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

Among the White House materials withheld from the committee were Libby-authored passages in drafts of a speech that then-Secretary of State Colin L. Powell delivered to the United Nations in February 2003 to argue the Bush administration's case for war with Iraq, according to congressional and administration sources. The withheld documents also included intelligence data that Cheney's office -- and Libby in particular -- pushed to be included in Powell's speech, the sources said.

The new information that Cheney and Libby blocked information to the Senate Intelligence Committee further underscores the central role played by the vice president's office in trying to blunt criticism that the Bush administration exaggerated intelligence data to make the case to go to war.

The disclosures also come as Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald wraps up the nearly two-year-old CIA leak investigation that has focused heavily on Libby's role in discussing covert intelligence operative Valerie Plame with reporters. Fitzgerald could announce as soon as tomorrow whether a federal grand jury is handing up indictments in the case.

Central to Fitzgerald's investigation is whether administration officials disclosed Plame's identity and CIA status in an effort to discredit her husband, former ambassador and vocal Bush administration critic Joseph Wilson, who wrote newspaper op-ed columns and made other public charges beginning in 2003 that the administration misused intelligence on Iraq that he gathered on a CIA-sponsored trip to Africa.

In recent weeks Fitzgerald's investigation has zeroed in on the activities of Libby, who is Cheney's top national security and foreign policy advisor, as well as the conflict between the vice president's office on one side and the CIA and State Department on the other over the use of intelligence on Iraq. The New York Times reported this week, for example, that Libby first learned about Plame and her covert CIA status from Cheney in a conversation with the vice president weeks before Plame's cover was blown in a July 2003 newspaper column by Robert Novak.

The Intelligence Committee at the time was trying to determine whether the CIA and other intelligence agencies provided faulty or erroneous intelligence on Iraq to President Bush and other government officials. But the committee deferred the much more politically sensitive issue as to whether the president and the vice president themselves, or other administration officials, misrepresented intelligence information to bolster the case to go to war. An Intelligence Committee spokesperson says the panel is still working on this second phase of the investigation.

Had the withheld information been turned over, according to administration and congressional sources, it likely would have shifted a portion of the blame away from the intelligence agencies to the Bush administration as to who was responsible for the erroneous information being presented to the American public, Congress, and the international community.

In April 2004, the Intelligence Committee released a report that concluded that "much of the information provided or cleared by the Central Intelligence Agency for inclusion in Secretary Powell's [United Nation's] speech was overstated, misleading, or incorrect."

Both Republicans and Democrats on the committee say that their investigation was hampered by the refusal of the White House to turn over key documents, although Republicans said the documents were not as central to the investigation.

In addition to withholding drafts of Powell's speech -- which included passages written by Libby -- the administration also refused to turn over to the committee contents of the president's morning intelligence briefings on Iraq, sources say. These documents, known as the Presidential Daily Brief, or PDB, are a written summary of intelligence information and analysis provided by the CIA to the president.

One congressional source said, for example, that senators wanted to review the PDBs to determine whether dissenting views from the State Department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research, the Department of Energy, and other agencies that often disagreed with the CIA on the question of Iraq's programs to develop weapons of mass destruction were being presented to the president.

An administration spokesperson said that the White House was justified in turning down the document demand from the Senate, saying that the papers reflected "deliberative discussions" among "executive branch principals" and were thus covered under longstanding precedent and executive privilege rules. Throughout the president's five years in office, the Bush administration has been consistently adamant about not turning internal documents over to Congress and other outside bodies.

At the same time, however, administration officials said in interviews that they cannot recall another instance in which Cheney and Libby played such direct personal roles in denying foreign policy papers to a congressional committee, and that in doing so they overruled White House staff and lawyers who advised that the materials should be turned over to the Senate panel.

Administration sources also said that Cheney's general counsel, David Addington, played a central role in the White House decision not to turn over the documents. Addington did not return phone calls seeking comment. Cheney's office declined to comment after requesting that any questions for this article be submitted in writing.

A former senior administration official familiar with the discussions on whether to turn over the materials said there was a "political element" in the matter. This official said the White House did not want to turn over records during an election year that could used by critics to argue that the administration used incomplete or faulty intelligence to go to war with Iraq. "Nobody wants something like this dissected or coming out in an election year," the former official said.

But the same former official also said that Libby felt passionate that the CIA and other agencies were not doing a good job at intelligence gathering, that the Iraqi war was a noble cause, and that he and the vice president were only making their case in good faith. According to the former official, Libby cited those reasons in fighting for the inclusion in Powell's U.N. speech of intelligence information that others mistrusted, in opposing the release of documents to the Intelligence Committee, and in moving aggressively to counter Wilson's allegations that the Bush administration distorted intelligence findings.

Both Republicans and Democrats on the committee backed the document request to the White House regarding Libby's drafts of the Powell speech, communications between Libby and other administration officials on intelligence information that might be included in the speech, and Libby's contacts with officials in the intelligence community relating to Iraq.

In his address to the United Nations on February 5, 2003, Powell argued that intelligence information showed that Saddam Hussein's regime was aggressively pursuing programs to develop chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons

Only after the war did U.N. inspectors and the public at large learn that the intelligence data had been incorrect and that Iraq had been so crippled by international sanctions that it could not sustain such a program.

The April 2004 Senate report blasted what it referred to as an insular and risk- averse culture of bureaucratic "group think" in which officials were reluctant to challenge their own longstanding notions about Iraq and its weapons programs. All nine Republicans and eight Democrats signed onto this document without a single dissent, a rarity for any such report in Washington, especially during an election year.

After the release of the report, Intelligence Committee, Chairman Pat Roberts, R-Kan., and Vice Chairman Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., said they doubted that the Senate would have authorized the president to go to war if senators had been given accurate information regarding Iraq's programs on weapons of mass destruction.

"I doubt if the votes would have been there," Roberts said. Rockefeller asserted, "We in Congress would not have authorized that war, in 75 votes, if we knew what we know now."

Roberts' spokeswoman, Sarah Little, said the second phase of the committee's investigation would also examine how pre-war intelligence focused on the fact that intelligence analysts -- while sounding alarms that a humanitarian crisis that might follow the war - failed to predict the insurgency that would arise after the war.

Little says that it was undecided whether the committee would produce a classified report, a declassified one that could ultimately be made public, or hold hearings.

When the 2004 Senate Intelligence Committee was made public, Bush, Cheney, and other administration officials cited it as proof that the administration acted in good faith on Iraq and relied on intelligence from the CIA and others that it did not know was flawed.

But some congressional sources say that had the committee received all the documents it requested from the White House the spotlight could have shifted to the heavy advocacy by Cheney's office to go to war. Cheney had been the foremost administration advocate for war with Iraq, and Libby played a central staff role in coordinating the sale of the war to both the public and Congress.

In advocating war with Iraq, Libby was known for dismissing those within the bureaucracy who opposed him, whether at the CIA, State Department, or other agencies. Supporters say that even if Libby is charged by the grand jury in the CIA leak case, he waged less a personal campaign against Wilson and Plame than one that reflected a personal antipathy toward critics in general.

Lawrence Wilkerson, who served as chief of staff to Powell as Secretary of State, charged in a recent speech that there was a "cabal between Vice President Cheney and Secretary of Defense [Donald L.] Rumsfeld on critical decisions that the bureaucracy did not know was being made."

In interagency meetings in preparation for Powell's U.N. address, Wilkerson, Powell, and senior CIA officials argued that evidence Libby wanted to include as part of Powell's presentation was exaggerated or unreliable. Cheney, too, became involved in those discussions, sources said, when he believed that Powell and others were not taking Libby's suggestions seriously.

Wilkerson has said that he ordered "whole reams of paper" of intelligence information excluded from Libby's draft of Powell's speech. Another official recalled that Libby was pushing so hard to include certain intelligence information in the speech that Libby lobbied Powell for last minute changes in a phone call to Powell's suite at the Waldorf Astoria hotel the night before the speech. Libby's suggestions were dismissed by Powell and his staff.

John E. McLaughlin, then-deputy director of the CIA, has testified to Congress that "much of our time in the run-up to the speech was spent taking out material... that we and the secretary's staff judged to have been unreliable."

The passion that Libby brought to his cause is perhaps further illustrated by a recent Los Angeles Times report that in April 2004, months after Fitzgerald's leak investigation was underway, Libby ordered "a meticulous catalog of Wilson's claims and public statements going back to early 2003" because Libby was "consumed by passages that he believed were inaccurate or unfair" to him.

The newspaper reported that the "intensity with which Libby reacted to Wilson had many senior White House staffers puzzled, and few agreed with his counterattack plan, or its rationale."

A former administration official said that "this might have been about politics on some level, but it is also personal. [Libby] feels that his honor has been questioned, and his instinct is to strike back."

Now, as Libby battles back against possible charges by a special prosecutor, he might be seeking vindication on an entirely new level.

.......this is a tad outdated now.......but mentions the "personal" element ..

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Fitzgerald's Libby High Five Puts the Focus on Iraq
Posted October 28, 2005 at 2:14 p.m. EDT

The five counts against Scooter Libby is a high five for those of us who have been saying (ad nauseum, ad infinitum ) that the heart of Plamegate has always been the way this administration did everything in its power to cover up the lies and deceptions it used to lead us into a reckless and unnecessary war.

2 counts of perjury. 2 counts of making false statements. 1 count of obstruction of justice. These charges will keep the focus squarely on the cover up and will allow the American people to finally get a look into the nuts and bolts of how the White House Iraq Group marketed the war.

The lies that led us to war -- and the lies used to cover up those lies -- are about to go prime time. Stockpiles of WMD, Niger yellowcake, aluminum tubes, smoking guns that are mushroom clouds, unmanned drones, chemical weapons ready to launch in 45 minutes, "slam dunk" intel. These will all at long last get the through public going-over they never got.

As David Gergen -- as reliable a source of the convention wisdom as you can find -- put it last night: "If there are indictments, it will not only be people close to the president, the vice president of the United States, but they will raise questions about whether criminal acts were perpetrated to help get the country into war."

Libby's indictment, far from the culmination of Patrick Fitzgerald's investigation, is just the beginning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fitzgerald Beans Libby, Metaphorically Speaking
Posted October 28, 2005 at 3:53 p.m. EDT

Patrick Fitzgerald played it close to the vest during his press conference, leaving many than Plamegate mysteries unsolved.

But he did reveal a penchant for evocative analogies, drawing on bank robbers, truck drivers, tea leaves, and baseball beanball battles to explain the Plamegate charges.

Indeed, if the coming trial comes to a metaphoric showdown between the literary skills of Pat Fitzgerald and Scooter Libby, my money is on the prosecutor.

I'll take "obstruction of justice is like throwing sand in the umpire's eyes" over "aspens turn in clusters because their roots connect them" any day of the week.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
nobody is up for the outing of Plame, but somebody did it. Somebody in the White House. Dollars to donuts somebody did it to please Bush / Cheney. There is 'a cancer' on the White House.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: L.Libby Charged , Ha

It's doubtful that anybody will get nailed for actually outing Plame eight away, Pete. It stinks like Karl Rove and everybody knows that, but it's almost impossible to make that case until somebody on the inside talks.

There is a conspiracy to cover it up though. That's what Libby got charged with today, and that's likely what future charges will stem from. Libby got caught in his own lies and now he'll be looking for a deal.

Bush is famous for his loyalty. I'm betting his pet psychopaths don't have that same loyalty though.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
that's what brought Nixon down. When the heat was turned up Dean turned honest and the tapes came out. There may be some basically good Americans in the White House. If there are, watch the impeachment procedures after the midterm elections. I don't think Bush is as smart as Nixon. He will go down lying to the end.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: L.Libby Charged , Ha

He will lie to the end. So will Cheney and Rove. Rummy too, although he's not really involved in this. I think Scooter will talk though. He's already caught himself in a lie, he's facing five charges as a result. I think he'll go looking for a deal.

In the meantime Rove is still being investigated. He's pissed a lot of people off over the years and I think somebody will start talking now. Rove used to be feared because of his tactics and influence, but the fear is going away pretty fast now.

I doubt Rove will squeal though. I doubt he can tell too many tales without further incriminating himself, and nobody is going to swing him a deal on this. If he gets called in though, somebody else will start yapping. There will be a secretary someplace or something.

I think Cheney is going to get nailed with this eventually. Maybe not full out, but he will be implicated. He's going to get called in on those Halliburton charges yet too. That French judge is out to nail corporate corruption. The indictment from that will be from France, but the warrant will be international. Cheney won't be able to leave the US.

Somebody will turn on Bush too. My guess right now is that Colin Powell will get subpeonaed when the investigation widens, and he'll tell the truth. He's already made some noises, but nobody has been asking the hard questions yet. So far it's been all about Plame.

That leaves Rummy. He'll get discredited on the torture thing. That's another scandal that hasn't really hit yet. I doubt he'll face charges, but I think he'll "retire" suddenly.