Killer Snake proves lethal!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
New Brunswick boys died of asphyxiation: Autopsy

By QMI Agency

Connor Barthe, 6, and Noah Barthe, 4, were found dead Monday, Aug. 5, 2013, in Campbellton, N.B. It's believe they were killed by an African rock python. Facebook/QMI Agency

Two New Brunswick boys killed by a friend's pet python died from asphyxiation, preliminary autopsy results show.
The RCMP released the preliminary autopsy findings for Noah Barthe, 4, and his brother Connor, 6, Wednesday afternoon with the cause of death. An RCMP press release states investigators are still waiting on information from the final autopsy report.
It's believed the boys were strangled by the African rock python during a sleepover.
The boys were found dead Monday morning in a Campbellton, N.B., apartment above the pet store Reptile Ocean after an African rock python escaped from its enclosure, went through the ventilation system and into the living room where the boys were sleeping.
The snake belonged to Reptile Ocean owner Jean-Claude Savoie, but was housed in the apartment, not the store beneath.
The 45-kg snake has been euthanized and the initial necropsy of the snake showed it was in overall good health, the RCMP said, adding it will take some time before the final report is released.

A vigil will be held Wednesday night in Campbellton at 8 p.m. at Salmon Plaza, city official Jean Louis Giroux said.
Teddy bears and candles in memory of the boys have been placed across the street from the apartment where they died.
The boys' great-uncle, Dave Rose, told reporters Tuesday Noah and Connor "enjoyed life to the fullest."
The children had been at a petting zoo the night before and snake expert, Bry Loyst, who is assisting police with the investigation, believes the snake may have been attracted by the scent of the animals.
He also said police told him the snake had escaped from its enclosure and into the ventilation system before.
The python that killed the children is illegal in New Brunswick unless the owner has a permit. But permits are never issued to keep an illegal exotic animal as a pet, the department of natural resources said Tuesday. The penalty is up to a $300 fine.
Loyst, curator of the Indian River Reptile Zoo near Peterborough, Ont., believes lax laws are to blame for the tragedy.
Donations to assist with the funeral expenses of Noah and Connor can be made at any TD Canada Trust. The branch number is 4857 and the account number is 6313489.
Funeral arrangements have not yet been made.

New Brunswick boys died of asphyxiation: Autopsy - Canada - Canoe.ca
was just going to post this... how sad two little boys dead... why were they housing it there in the apartment? omg?

terrible tragedy

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
From what I have gathered this is unusual for the snake, to not bite as that is their nature to bite first, take 2 victims, not eat the kill.
The noise of falling from ceiling to floor should have woken the kids.
Was one attacked then the second.

And for those that made black humor style posts about this tragic event, those that gave a thumbs up - I am disgusted to say the least.

I am OK with black humor, most Soldiers are, but not when it comes to children being killed I am not.
If anyone finds that offensive, or their feelings are hurt. Good. You should be.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It was a pet, apparently. Not my idea of a pet though.

Beyond terrible.
a pet, what?...so whotf lived there, the pet store owner...why is all of this cloak and dagger? why are they being so evasive in your opinion?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
is it possible that the boys were strangled and the snake was used as a scapegoat?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
a pet, what?...so whotf lived there, the pet store owner...why is all of this cloak and dagger? why are they being so evasive in your opinion?

Because it could compromise the investigation.
I watched the Boys uncle on CBC describing the boys last day. Heartbreaking.

is it possible that the boys were strangled and the snake was used as a scapegoat?

The Police would be considering that. With the snake experts wondering why the snake acted as it did.
These snakes only hunt when hungry. They normally bite first.
Snakes in captivity are usually overfed, so not hungry.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
it does not appear so now, that was the speculation at the beginning by many because the facts were so very very limited, but now a few more details are emerging... at the beginning they made is seems like it had escaped from the pet store down stairs and made its way up, now from what I am reading it appears it was housed in the apartment...still is bizarre but if they smelt of pets that could have trigger it they say... the whole thing is beyond weird

Because it could compromise the investigation.
I watched the Boys uncle on CBC describing the boys last day. Heartbreaking.

The Police would be considering that. With the snake experts wondering why the snake acted as it did.
These snakes only hunt when hungry. They normally bite first.
Snakes in captivity are usually overfed, so not hungry.
thanks, this could just be one of those weird anomalies... strange but true things, they happen

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I don't know if it's really that anyone is being evasive. I just think the news media is printing/reporting without full info, probably because of the rarity of the situation, here in Canada anyway. I do hope they charge the guy Pythons are, from what I'm reading, illegal to have as pets. That an illegal pet caused death, well that's far beyond a $3000 fine don't you think?

This still seems so very sketchy to me, but it's just a feeling that may not actually amount to anything though.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't know if it's really that anyone is being evasive. I just think the news media is printing/reporting without full info, probably because of the rarity of the situation, here in Canada anyway. I do hope they charge the guy Pythons are, from what I'm reading, illegal to have as pets. That an illegal pet caused death, well that's far beyond a $3000 fine don't you think?

This still seems so very sketchy to me, but it's just a feeling that may not actually amount to anything though.
I know...the whole thing was sketchy from the beginning, they don't even kill in the wild usually...on Youtube there's a video of one trying to strangle a kitten in a garden. A guy sees it, walks up, grabs the kitten, unravels it and throws the kitten a few feet and the kitten scurries off. Two kids...wtf? Snake owners are saying this just doesn't occur... but ya know...Ripley's Believe It Or Not exists for a reason.

I don't know what you do to the pet owner... they are probably suicidal...I sure would be... a fine, no, but the parents left their kids there thinking they were safe but they must have known the snake was housed there...I don't know... this is beyond belief.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
this is so tragic, so stupid, so careless, so bazzar, so unbelievable, so hard to even think about,
so unusual, so strange, so questionable, so puzzling, so unacceptable, but in the end, it did happen,
those little boys are dead, what a helpless feeling.

what happens now, how is this person punished, will he be punished.

a vet said today, on the radio, that in b.c. it is against tthe law to have such types of exotic pets,BUT he
also said that many do have them, one can just buy one on the internet for about $200.00, f**k the law
I guess, when will a similar tragedy happen in this province.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
this is so tragic, so stupid, so careless, so bazzar, so unbelievable, so hard to even think about,
so unusual, so strange, so questionable, so puzzling, so unacceptable, but in the end, it did happen,
those little boys are dead, what a helpless feeling.

what happens now, how is this person punished, will he be punished.

a vet said today, on the radio, that in b.c. it is against tthe law to have such types of exotic pets,BUT he
also said that many do have them, one can just buy one on the internet for about $200.00, f**k the law
I guess, when will a similar tragedy happen in this province.

It already did Talloola, in 100 Mile House a couple of years ago when someone was mauled to death by a tiger. I don't know how many times it has to be said.........."leave wild critters in their habitat". But of course there is the lure of the almighty dollar. But it's kind of useless finding fault, one can blame the proprietor, but what about the mayor or police who drove past the establishment a dozen times a day? What about the vet who treats them? There no end of people involved, including those who pay admission to see them. I've been guilty myself, visited Reptile World in Drumheller, several years ago.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Environment Canada said one of its wildlife officers brought the African rock python to Reptile Ocean in Campbellton 11 years ago, even though the species was banned in the province without a special permit.
Uh huh

Mark Johnson, a spokesman for the federal department, said in an email that Environment Canada was asked to help take the snake to Reptile Ocean after it was abandoned at the SPCA in Moncton, N.B. His email did not address why the department would transport a banned animal, but he said department records indicate Reptile Ocean was operating as a zoo when the snake arrived at the facility in August 2002.
Alright.

New Brunswick's Department of Natural Resources said only accredited zoos can apply for a permit to own a banned species, including the African rock python in question.

But Canada's Accredited Zoos and Aquariums said it is the only recognized national body to accredit zoos in the country and it has no record of Reptile Ocean ever applying for accreditation.
Ok, so are they or aren't they accredited? Should they or shouldn't they be accredited? Who makes that determination again?

This is all about as clear as mud. So is it Environment Canada's fault or not?

Questions Arise Over How Banned Python Ended Up at New Brunswick Pet Store

Honestly, does any government department anywhere ever know what the hell they are doing?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Anyone hear about the autopsy results yet?

1,000 attend candlelight vigil for boys killed by python - Canada - Canoe.ca

The RCMP had earlier released the preliminary autopsy findings for Noah Barthe, 4, and his brother Connor, 6, which concluded they died of asphyxiation. RCMP investigators are still waiting on information from the final autopsy report.
That was the last thing I read...I don't think they've released the final autopsy report yet.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Surely there would marks over the body from being crushed and squeezed, even beyond death. Oh and then the other boy too.

If there aren't...well...like I said, our man is probably sh!tting himself.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Surely there would marks over the body from being crushed and squeezed, even beyond death. Oh and then the other boy too.

If there aren't...well...like I said, our man is probably sh!tting himself.

You would think they would be marks, as well as a few broken bones. Cracked ribs at least.

I'm still suspicious that one boy would have completely slept through the other being asphyxiated by a large snake in the same room. You'd think there would be some kind of thrashing going on?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I'm just throwing this out there, but I have always been of the thought that if an animal doesn't interact with you in some way, [purring, chasing a ball, fetching stick, etc] its not really a pet.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I wonder if the kids were drugged....

still suspicious as always

of course the poor snake was euthanized... to appease the public or something I don't know