Just got partial land expropriation notice.

save my land

Apr 16, 2007
that's what I'm afraid of....

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am at the beginning stages of what will likely become an expropriation. We received a package from our County, out of the blue, wanting to buy a corner of our property. Although not a huge portion it is very significant. Based on the survey stakes (which we thought was Hydro) the proposed road widening will bring the road to approx.10 feet from where my head rests on my pillow at night. The amount of compensation proposed does not come close to covering the amount of money we will lose in the re-sale of our home, not to mention the damage to my gardens, trees and enjoyment of my land. My feelings now are I don't want to live in my home anymore if they are going to do this, but I know they won't buy the entire property. I am shocked that a municipality can propose such a large project (we are only one of a number of homes effected, but we have one of the most invasive plans) with no public forum and no requirement for community involvement. I want to do whatever I can to prevent this from becoming an expropriation and I have read a number of helpfull tips in the forum, but I'm starting to fear I am fighting a losing battle. I want to plan my "attack" and am just looking for some preliminary advice on what works and what doesn't........you think you can help?????