Just got partial land expropriation notice.

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
I got the snotty letter from the authority's lawyer. No coutesy of legal protocol, just a few words to "come down and sign the deed to the land transfer?.

Looking at the survey plan he enclosed it looks like they want 1/4 of my property. It doesn't look like much on the plan, just 13' past the pin on my property side for road widening, but my property runs 500'.!!!

Looks like I got a big battle. First step I'm getting an appraisal. He made his first mistake, he's supposed to send it registered.

AndyF

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
reply him back with the same language and ask him to send it with proper court notice and demand for compensation for your property loss...

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I got the snotty letter from the authority's lawyer. No coutesy of legal protocol, just a few words to "come down and sign the deed to the land transfer?.

Looking at the survey plan he enclosed it looks like they want 1/4 of my property. It doesn't look like much on the plan, just 13' past the pin on my property side for road widening, but my property runs 500'.!!!

Looks like I got a big battle. First step I'm getting an appraisal. He made his first mistake, he's supposed to send it registered.

AndyF

The march of 'progress' will win every time, but I agree with the others. DON'T SIGN ANYTHING". Get a lawyer to look at it. This will take weeks, if you make it take that long. Everyday you wait and delay is a day from their sched. and will drive the price up until they get to 'fair market value'. In Ontario you are being taxed on market value so that is what they should pay.
Maybe you could even try a civil suite to recoup the loss in property value you will experience by having a bigger road by your land.
Good luck

Last edited:

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
yes m agreed with eh1eh , and again dont sign any paper and on top of when you hire a lawyer and if you win then state has to pay thier fee not - this the way its works here how does this works in your stats no idea:read2:

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
What if he doesn't have any bats that play baseball?

Indeed.

You know I think the US did too good a job cleaning out the mob. Mob systems don't have a place in democratic systems I agree, but what happens when the system itself starts to use mob tactics?

Methinks a few choice friends in appropriate places would do a world of good and send a message. :angry6:

It's curious but even in war time where conscription and property can be confiscated, a receipt is given so that after the war the person can collect on his contribution of the item. Old Brit common law.

AndyF.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Indeed.

You know I think the US did too good a job cleaning out the mob. Mob systems don't have a place in democratic systems I agree, but what happens when the system itself starts to use mob tactics?

Methinks a few choice friends in appropriate places would do a world of good and send a message. :angry6:

It's curious but even in war time where conscription and property can be confiscated, a receipt is given so that after the war the person can collect on his contribution of the item. Old Brit common law.

AndyF.
Just ask some of the people that were displaced and or put out of their ancestral homes for the defunked Pickering then on again, then off again, Airport, how easy it is to fight this system...

http://www.landoverlandings.com/
http://www.vocalvoice.ca/home.html
http://noairport.ca/

The mob ain't got nothin' on these thugs!

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
The march of 'progress' will win every time, but I agree with the others. DON'T SIGN ANYTHING". Get a lawyer to look at it. This will take weeks, if you make it take that long. Everyday you wait and delay is a day from their sched. and will drive the price up until they get to 'fair market value'. In Ontario you are being taxed on market value so that is what they should pay.
Maybe you could even try a civil suite to recoup the loss in property value you will experience by having a bigger road by your land.
Good luck

No I won't sign. I'll hire an appraiser and get a quote for the market value. Then before my 30 day deadline (week gone by so far, yikes!!) I'll send a reg letter to the Municipal hall and one to the lawyer stating my intent. Then I'll wait to see what happens and action later. Might save a few bucks if I take a few of the lawyer's initial steps anyway, and they may come to their senses factoring the cost to them of legal expenses. The real battle usually doesn't come in the intro.

On the letter I'll start explaining my compensation, then I'll open another paragraph under "Injurous Affection". This stuff is what the expropriation devalues in the property. For instance I'll need to reposition 2 lamp posts. Then I'll want a retaining wall of concrete block since they'll need to dig out the embankment that holds up my driveway since my house sits on the uphill side of road. I'll insist it's maintained by them in perpetuity with no cost to me or future owners. That won't leave much of a driveway anyway. Also the dropoff of the wall creates will create a child hazzard and they'll need to deal with that. I could also mention some winning case files on the issue of not compensating at all thanks to the web and supreme court site and case files. Apparently like one poster here said already, they have to offer some compensation. I'll probably lose some of this, but the compensation I'll hold fast to the best I can.

Interestingly, as an owner that is also a mortgagee, it brings with it a special case. By another law the holder of the mortgage is bound by law, ....get this....., to ensure nothing happens to the property to devalue it or worsen it's state????:tongue3: So every person has trustee to the morgagor by law has the duty to fight tooth and nail any theft of his property. (Theft by the true definition that is.)

So there's no real choice the way I see it.

All you folks out there who are property owners please check your political candidates to find out what they think about property issues. They may not be on your side, you could be next.

AndyF

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Interestingly, as an owner that is also a mortgagee, it brings with it a special case. By another law the holder of the mortgage is bound by law, ....get this....., to ensure nothing happens to the property to devalue it or worsen it's state????
So every person has trustee to the morgagor by law has the duty to fight tooth and nail any theft of his property. (Theft by the true definition that is.)

Get the bank involved, you're on the right track.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Andy your in for an up hill battle, my heart goes out to you. Fight the good fight and my you prevail.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
What letter --lol

not registered not hand delivered and remove this post just in case --lol

That said could you explain "I'm new" or direct me to what happened and why

I noticed a encroachment on the survey of my dearest friend (he just bought a house with some property) he also found out he has Alzheimer's and I'm now signed on to ensure things are OK (power of attorney )living will

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
yes m agreed with eh1eh , and again dont sign any paper and on top of when you hire a lawyer and if you win then state has to pay thier fee not - this the way its works here how does this works in your stats no idea:read2:

It does here also, .....sortof.... notwithstanding of course. But the irony is the Authority that decides has overall decision making power. That same Authority is the one that wants your property, and a real example of conflict of interest.

Exp Act 31,32,33 covers that somewhat unclearly and unconvincingly.

32. (1) Where the amount to which an owner is entitled upon an expropriation or claim for injurious affection is determined by the Board and the amount awarded by the Board is 85 per cent, or more, of the amount offered by the statutory authority, the Board shall make an order directing the statutory authority to pay the reasonable legal, appraisal and other costs actually incurred by the owner for the purposes of determining the compensation payable, and may fix the costs in a lump sum or may order that the determination of the amount of such costs be referred to an assessment officer who shall assess and allow the costs in accordance with this subsection and the tariffs and rules prescribed under clause 44 (d). R.S.O. 1990, c. E.26, s. 32 (1).

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/90e26_e.htm#BK31

AndyF

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
What letter --lol
not registered not hand delivered and remove this post just in case --lol
That said could you explain "I'm new" or direct me to what happened and why
I noticed a encroachment on the survey of my dearest friend (he just bought a house with some property) he also found out he has Alzheimer's and I'm now signed on to ensure things are OK (power of attorney )living will

Ouch!. Always we need to remind ourselves that others have it worse.

Thanks.

AndyF

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
So basically if you dont fight(get survey)--prove value)
they can take what they want need and give you want they think its worth ,if you dont first pay for survey and legal crap --then get reimbursed -
-What iof you have no money for survey and stuff --up creek not paddle nor hands

I dont remeber voting for this --lol

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006

does this sound like what should happen

WHAT IS EXPROPRIATION

Expropriation occurs when a public agency (for example, the provincial government and its agencies, regional districts, municipalities, school boards and utilities) takes property for a purpose deemed to be in the public interest, even though the owner of the property may not be willing to sell it.
WHEN IS A DECISION MADE TO EXPROPRIATE?

Generally property is expropriated only if there is a failure to reach an agreement between the owner and the agency as to the amount to be paid. Even in this case, the owner and the expropriating authority can enter into an agreement to transfer the property leaving only the amount to be paid to be determined by the Supreme Court.
WHAT CAN BE EXPROPRIATED?

Any interest in land and improvements such as buildings, may be expropriated.
WHO ARE THE MAIN PARTIES INVOLVED IN AN EXPROPRIATION?

There are three main parties involved in an expropriation. They are:
  1. The owner(s) of the property.
  2. The expropriating authority — this is the body empowered to expropriate land and includes the provincial government and its agencies, regional districts, municipalities, school boards and utilities. It is the expropriating authority with whom you will initially deal and with whom you will discuss the matter of compensation.
  3. The approving authority — all expropriations must be approved by an elected, politically accountable authority. Municipal councils are politically accountable for municipal expropriations, the Board of School Trustees for expropriations under the School Act, and the Minister responsible for the administration of government legislation in other cases of expropriation.
WHAT ARE THE STEPS IN AN EXPROPRIATION?

Once a decision has been made to expropriate, the steps are as follows:
1. EXPROPRIATION NOTICE: This is the first formal notice you will receive that your property is being considered for expropriation. It must contain the purpose for which expropriation is required. The Act requires that the Notice be:
  • sent by registered mail to every person having a registered interest in the property, together with a copy of the Act
  • posted on a sign on the land to be expropriated (or if the land is located outside a municipality, the Notice may be published in a local newspaper); and
  • filed in the local land title office.
The Expropriation Notice may also be delivered by hand.
You may find it advisable to contact your lawyer upon being officially notified of an expropriation. All reasonable legal costs incurred by you pertaining to the expropriation will, in most circumstances, be reimbursed by the expropriating authority.
2. REQUEST FOR AN INQUIRY: Once the Expropriation Notice has been served, you may request an inquiry to determine whether the proposed expropriation of the land is necessary to achieve the objectives of the expropriation authority, or if the objectives might be better achieved by varying the amount of land taken or using an alternate site. The provision for an inquiry does not apply to "linear developments" which include highways, railways, hydro or other electric transmission/distribution lines, pipelines, sewer, water or drainage lines/mains.
Your request for an inquiry must be made in writing to the Deputy Attorney General (on Form 2), and served on the expropriating authority within 30 days after receiving the Expropriation Notice. The form must contain the following information:
  • your name, address and telephone number;
  • the legal description of the land to be expropriated;
  • the nature of your interest in the land to be expropriated;
  • the reasons for requesting an inquiry.
Write to: