Is the CBC bias??

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
"They could spend a billion on high speed internet for far out areas!!!"

They already are, it's called Supernet. Thank you Canadian government.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
ottawabill said:
But again I say CBC is a federally funding organization and since all tax payers pay for it it should show no to little bias.

Second as you said CTV has more viewers because of the model they use..They use that model because the people want it..something the CBC doesn't understand...you know being viable!!

Show little or no Bias? You tell me what would be on air if it were to show little or no Bias? The only time any channel in general shows the least amount of Bias is in the wee hours of the morining when it shows the colored bars...Wait does that mean it's biased against the colorblind? I think the word Bias has been overkilled here. Bias, Bias, Bias
there has to be a better application for what we're looking for.

Secondly I do watch CTV too, but channels like that are a dime a dozen, format, themes, display, and commercials are all from a cookie cutter, it can get a little redundant. I at least do not mind something different when I'm tired of watching rennovating shows, Maury, or survivor. That's the nice thing about having a choice.

So if you find nothing viable on CBC then program your TV to skip the damn channel. If you don't know how, there should be a phone number for the TV's technical support on the back of the manual for it.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
The CBC is biased towards Canada, but that is evident in every countries broadcasters. As for biased towards the government, well I really can't see that. Do you think if the Conservatives were elected (Which will never happen - Running third in Ontario) that the CBC would all of a sudden march to their views?

I think the CBC is pretty good in presenting both sides compared to other stations around the world.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Does NPR (american) and BBC (british) show bias when they use humor?? or expose the insanity of the american government? Would you like me to post some things from both websites. So the very thing (so called bias) you accuse the CBC of is present in all public radio broadcasting besides canada. So just so I am clear...You are also calling NPR and the BBC bias as well, or is just the CBC, or it just any freedom of expression that bothers you.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
The CBC does take a slanted stance towards the U.S.A. which is what this whole forum is about..see the first post!!
This is insulting to another nation that does us no harm..It is federally funded making this slight look like it is governmental by nature.

I personally don't like the CBC however that is not the point, and yes I can change ..and do change the channel.

I don't much like NPR but I don't hear a constant attach on this or other countries from there radio stations. I can't speak for the bbc.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
As usually I look at the cbc's web site this morning to see what they have to say about the private healthcare ruling and guess what it's not there top story..or second..or even third story..It's buried under canadian news stories.

The top story is to say that a Tory audio expert says the tapes are clean..What a loaded headline that is.. Then I go to ctv you know that private company that doesn't speak for Canada therefore the CBC is required..Yep that one...Top news story..yup Canada Health care...Would seem to me that since this is an embrassasment to the Government it is downplayed on the CBC.

Toronto sun top story..health care
Canada.com 2nd top story..yep Healthcare
Toronto star...duh Healthcare.

Your Tax dollars at work..at work hiding stuff!!!

I was asked earlier why the CBC doesn't switch with each Government? Thats easy..The Liberals are in so often and appoint so many heads to the corporation that they stay loyal to the Liberal agenda.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
As usually I look at the cbc's web site this morning to see what they have to say about the private healthcare ruling and guess what it's not there top story..or second..or even third story..It's buried under canadian news stories.
Toronto sun top story..health care
Canada.com 2nd top story..yep Healthcare
Toronto star...duh Healthcare.

:? Well I wasn't on the website on the 10th but since I was @ home with the radio, every hour that would be the first thing I would hear when the news comes on was....uh, healthcare. Then programs and phone ins on the health care situation. Well since I was Listening to CBC radio, perhaps it's the website that's bias :lol: eh?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Gee, I had much the same experience as Jo. It was the top story on the news too. It got extensive coverage on NewsWorld.

The House is about to come on the radio here. One of the stories? The Healthcare ruling, of course.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Four days after the provincial election, the Vancouver Sun analyzed the campaign strategies of the BC Liberals and New Democrats. This was interesting but because a key player was missing, the analysis is incomplete.

The key player is not Adriane Carr’s Green Party nor the phantom ‘Big Labour’ but CanWest Global itself.

Donald Gutstein, a senior lecturer in the School of Communication at Simon Fraser University, writes regularly for the Tyee on media.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Canwest Global that owns BCTV and the Sun and Province and 2-3 times a week local rags is very anti NDP and anti union. It is sick. I think BCTV and the Sun/Province should be re named the "Neo-con network" and "Neo-con Dailies" respectivly.

We have no competition out here and thats no good.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It is a return to the yellow journalism that controlled so much of politics in the late 19th century. The big difference is that back then there were usually competing papers who backed competing parties. Now all mainstream media backs one party...the corporate party.