Insite Given Exemption By SCoC

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My guess is that some people perceive members of society with a weakness as lesser members of society. :smile:
All through the 20th century including during legal drugs and alcohol prohibition the rate of addicted memebers of society has remained static at 2%.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
People institutionalized for any significant length after suicide attempts in Canada are there voluntarily. They can only hold you for an assessment period for virtually any mental issue, unless you prove to be a constant danger to OTHERS. Simply being an addict is not grounds to be jailed or institutionalized. Trust me, I've done this through the courts.

I'm not suggesting that they be incarcerated for their own good or that of society. All I am saying is that Insite enables these people to engage in an extremely high risk activity. Offering a 'safe environment' to consume the drugs and "passive counseling" is a very ineffective way of dealing with this serious problem.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm not suggesting that they be incarcerated for their own good or that of society. All I am saying is that Insite enables these people to engage in an extremely high risk activity.
No, with Insite's help, it is no different than consuming alcohol. They decrease the risk exponentially by providing safety and a healthy environment.

Offering a 'safe environment' to consume the drugs and "passive counseling" is a very ineffective way of dealing with this serious problem.
And yet the proven positives, were enough to convince the SCC to give them an exemption?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm not suggesting that they be incarcerated for their own good or that of society. All I am saying is that Insite enables these people to engage in an extremely high risk activity. Offering a 'safe environment' to consume the drugs and "passive counseling" is a very ineffective way of dealing with this serious problem.
How does it enable by offering an alternative to shooting up behind a dumpster?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
How many cases of HIV and HepC were prevented? How many ODs handled medically before they resulted in death? How many people didn't see them cranking up in the street?

Considering that Insite is not the exclusive venue for consuming IV drugs for an individual, it would be viryually impossible to determine when/where someone contracted hep-C or HIV.

As for the OD's, the ambulances cruise the alleys/streets of Hastings aggressively the day before, day of and day after welfare Wednesday - aka: Mardi Gras down in E. Hastings and find all kinds of OD's... The fact is, Insite being there and handling a few OD's is not justification for that facility to exist and have an exemption from the criminal code on the possession of illicit narcotics.

How does it enable by offering an alternative to shooting up behind a dumpster?

Needle exchanges like hundreds of cities have?.. Further, is it society's responsibility to have a safe injection site on every block?.. How much of YVR's downtown East side should be abandoned to accommodate IV drug users?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Considering that Insite is not the exclusive venue for consuming IV drugs for an individual, it would be viryually impossible to determine when/where someone contracted hep-C or HIV.

As for the OD's, the ambulances cruise the alleys/streets of Hastings aggressively the day before, day of and day after welfare Wednesday - aka: Mardi Gras down in E. Hastings and find all kinds of OD's... The fact is, Insite being there and handling a few OD's is not justification for that facility to exist and have an exemption from the criminal code on the possession of illicit narcotics.

Needle exchanges like hundreds of cities have?

It lessens the chances - that is fact - it takes them off the streets - people can't and do not want to deal with reality - i am sure that a person who has been around life as long as both of us have have seen addiction in its worst forms - I am in this case only referring to alcohol.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
It lessens the chances - that is fact - it takes them off the streets - people can't and do not want to deal with reality - i am sure that a person who has been around life as long as both of us have have seen addiction in its worst forms - I am in this case only referring to alcohol.

I do not disagree with your statements Goober (or those of Bear & Karrie), nor do I wish ill-will on those folks that are suffering from their addictions - I fully support the notion of providing help, assistance and comfort to those that have gotten into this rut. As you mentioned, we've been around the block enough times to see first-hand the devastation that uncontrolled addiction can have on an individual, their family and the community at large.

My particular view is that this circumstance really requires an aggressive approach in tackling this problem (and no, I am not suggesting that you lock 'em up at the drop of a hat) but Insite is simply - at best - deferring the inevitable demise for 99.99% of their clients and that is not justification for their existence.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I do not disagree with your statements Goober (or those of Bear & Karrie), nor do I wish ill-will on those folks that are suffering from their addictions - I fully support the notion of providing help, assistance and comfort to those that have gotten into this rut. As you mentioned, we've been around the block enough times to see first-hand the devastation that uncontrolled addiction can have on an individual, their family and the community at large.

My particular view is that this circumstance really requires an aggressive approach in tackling this problem (and no, I am not suggesting that you lock 'em up at the drop of a hat) but Insite is simply - at best - deferring the inevitable demise for 99.99% of their clients and that is not justification for their existence.
Fair enough.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Can you direct me to the report cited in the VPU Op/Ed?

There were a couple of related docs, this is one more (although it doesn't say anything materially different). Interestingly enough, there is a contact name with email/tel # (not that it solves/proves anything).
http://www.vpu.ca/media/mr0802_20080411.pdf

I'll look for the research materials (presuming that it is published) and shoot it out.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There were a couple of related docs, this is one more (although it doesn't say anything materially different. Interestingly enough, there is a contact name with email/tel # (not that it solves/proves anything).
http://www.vpu.ca/media/mr0802_20080411.pdf

I'll look for the research materials (presuming that it is published) and shoot it out.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

You know me, I do like to see the other side of the coin.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Fair enough.

Take a read of this article. They quote a spokesman for the VPD who (to their credit) offers a very balanced opinion. The article won't deliver any kind of tacit support (or condemnation), but is interesting all the same.

VPD: Does Insite feed addiction?

Thanks, I appreciate that.

You know me, I do like to see the other side of the coin.

.. And you're dead right!

It has to be that way.. This issue (all issues) needs to have the emotionally charged barbs eliminated and focus on the core issues.

Not to sound like I'm sucking up here, but I have found your analysis of issues to be very objective, so I am always interested in exchanging ideas and reading what you have to say.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Take a read of this article. They quote a spokesman for the VPD who (to their credit) offers a very balanced opinion. The article won't deliver any kind of tacit support (or condemnation), but is interesting all the same.

VPD: Does Insite feed addiction?
Interesting, thank you.

.. And you're dead right!

It has to be that way.. This issue (all issues) needs to have the emotionally charged barbs eliminated and focus on the core issues.

Not to sound like I'm sucking up here, but I have found your analysis of issues to be very objective, so I am always interested in exchanging ideas and reading what you have to say.
Thanks bud. The feeling is mutual, and is why you and I never smack our heads off each others.

We may not agree on everything, but we don't try and pit off ideologies or silly preconceived notions of each other.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think I will go down to Insite and have a look around and do an article to post on here. I've ridden with the Mrs. in the S.W.A.P. van in days gone by and think it might be insightful for some to see it from the perspective of someone from CC.