In Ontario we have a French Language Only Public School Sys.

Briteyes

Nov 29, 2005
Re: In Ontario we have a French Language Only Public School

Sorry "iamcanadian" With your post about trusties being appointed instead of elected in some french boards but in a town of 9000 people called Kapuskasing 66 percent of the population is french speaking and the English population often has to appoint there school boards because there are not enough english people to keep there schools open. Then I guess Kapuskasing should just have french schools then since there population is mainly french anyway then.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
RE: In Ontario we have a French Language Only Public School

Why not?

In selected areas north of the French River and the Ottawa Valley where 90% of Francaphone Ontario lives there would not be a problem because the numbers warrant it. A small french school board operating here and there is not a major issue and it simply substitutes one service for another. They can have English emmersion classes there if they want.

It's the covering of the whole province with Boards without any justification in numbers is the problem.

LindzyRae

Nominee Member
Jan 1, 2006
Sault Ste. Marie
RE: In Ontario we have a French Language Only Public School

What I wuldn't give to be able to speak french. As a child I was taken out of the french classes that were given to recieve help with my other classes because I had a learning disability, and have regretted it for a long time. I love traveling and would love to be able to work in Quebec but my french is non-existant. And the type of work I'd like to do (CO, or wildlife parks so something like that) and I'd like to do tht in northern Quebec, but untill I become at least functionable in french that's not possible.
I was very happy that my uncle and aunt plan on putting my cousin into french immersion (there are no french schools there). I think being able to speak another language is becomming more and more important and the world becomes more interconnected.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
Re: RE: In Ontario we have a French Language Only Public Sch

LindzyRae said:
I think being able to speak another language is becomming more and more important and the world becomes more interconnected.

Most people in Canada speak more than one language. But its is more often English and something other than French.

The point here concerns institutional segregation to keep non-french speaking citizens out of their separate school system.

One of their mottos to attract children to their schools is that they keep them out of the mixed "cultural" public school systems. (only they say it in French so most non-french speaking people won't get the point).

It is not about learning a second language, its about taking their kids out of the public school system where all races are mixed together.

These are separatist school boards. They are not designed to serve all members of the Canadian public in practice.