Huge New York Steaks

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
we had a dusting very early this morning, nothing after that, the day has been fairly clear and pleasant.

We had close to another 3" here this morning and it's been dull and cloudy all day. Nothing to deter me from the walk though!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Just remember to bear in mind that there is (going by Goober's post and what I know myself) a very good chance you are eating meat that has probably been thawed and re-frozen for one thing and could have a changed "best before" tag on it. My daughter-in-law buys almost 100% of their groceries at SS. Her exception is the meat. She will not buy their meat and that's without knowing about the date changing. People get it in their heads that SS has the cheapest stuff. It's like any other store - you have to know your prices.

Vanisle you don't know that. I've gotten to know a few of the people at the SuperStore and I see no reason to think these people would be part of some crooked date changing scheme.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Vanisle you don't know that. I've gotten to know a few of the people at the SuperStore and I see no reason to think these people would be part of some crooked date changing scheme.

What I find really annoying are those signs on the meat that say "thawed for your convenience". That is BULLSH*T!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Superstore dumps their meats frozen at Extra Foods here. Usually some half decent prices. Do you have a Real Canadian Wholesale thinger? Great deals on sammage meats, bacon, hams etc. I've never paid more than $4.75 for a rack of Chilean baby back ribs there.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The veggies are donated to the local zoo. There are reasons for this - HAACP - of which I bet SStore is not a member of requires this for hygiene. HAACP has strict rules to go by. Hygiene, temp controls, rodent controls - they look under the racking looking for debris, dirt etc.

Where I work they clean it all on a regular basis. not just when needed as spills - breakage occurs but all areas.

Welcome - Retail Food Certification

HACCP -

Do they make sure the people picking the vegetables have bathroom facilities? That's a big nasty source of contamination few ever think about.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Superstore dumps their meats frozen at Extra Foods here. Usually some half decent prices. Do you have a Real Canadian Wholesale thinger? Great deals on sammage meats, bacon, hams etc. I've never paid more than $4.75 for a rack of Chilean baby back ribs there.

Superstore= Extra Foods= Loblaws.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Edmonton at least takes the temperature of their compost facility to ensure the death of e coli, etc. It's buying compost off a random farmer that would worry me. 'Organic' isn't always good.

According to an expert (there was a lengthy article in Readers' Digest several years ago) the only advantage to Organic produce is the taste, the nutrition is exactly the same and the cost is out of this world. Don't get sucked in by "organic", it's an old (and young) wives myth.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
According to an expert (there was a lengthy article in Readers' Digest several years ago) the only advantage to Organic produce is the taste, the nutrition is exactly the same and the cost is out of this world. Don't get sucked in by "organic", it's an old (and young) wives myth.

I have to disagree to some extent. The taste and nutrition are not the only factors, lowering the global use of pesticides is also an issue, and a valid aspect that many articles purposely ignore. That being said, I don't spend my money on organic, because the same wind blows across and the same rains falls, on both fields.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
"Foods containing less than 70 percent organic ingredients can't use the organic seal or the word "organic" on their product label. They can include the organic items in their ingredient list, however." - USDA

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have to disagree to some extent. The taste and nutrition are not the only factors, lowering the global use of pesticides is also an issue, and a valid aspect that many articles purposely ignore. That being said, I don't spend my money on organic, because the same wind blows across and the same rains falls, on both fields.

Are the pesticides worse than the pests? Why is it that using soapy water as a pesticide is OK, yet when you are bathing in the lake, using a bar of soap is frowned on? Yet we know one way or the other every thing ends up in the river and subsequently the lake.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
isn''t it chemicals and additives that we are concerned about and whatever it is that keeps
a loaf of bread fresh for far too long, should we be eating those substance.

maybe none of those things kill us but they don't seem to be a normal ingredient to be
eating. I don't really know, just wonderin again.

organic, (or the old fashioned way of having food) doesn't have any of those things added.
it was 'all' organic when I was a child.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Not in Nanaimo anymore. They closed it and it's a Sport's type store now (hunting, fishing, camping stuff etc.).

"Foods containing less than 70 percent organic ingredients can't use the organic seal or the word "organic" on their product label. They can include the organic items in their ingredient list, however." - USDA
What we were told when I worked at the store was that to be truly organic, the food must have the words "Certified Organic" stamped on it.

There is probably no absolute organic food. All food - walking or in ground has to have it's own food. So, depending on what's in "that food", is how organic a product will be. Even eggs from free run hens - those hens are being fed the proper foods but along with that they are eating whatever is available and who knows what the wind blows in. That's just one simple example. However, the more junk you can leave out of the food and have it as natual as it can be is obviously best. I would wager a bet that a young girl who is fed strictly organic meats compared to one who eats what most of us eat, that being meat that is filled with hormones - will start to "mature" about age 13 while the one on the hormone filled products will mature at about age 11. I believe the term "old wives myth" is just that - old. Just remember what goes into the ground goes up the root and into the produce you are eating. It's also going into the food that "our food" is eating so we get it all over the place.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
isn''t it chemicals and additives that we are concerned about and whatever it is that keeps
a loaf of bread fresh for far too long, should we be eating those substance.

maybe none of those things kill us but they don't seem to be a normal ingredient to be
eating. I don't really know, just wonderin again.

organic, (or the old fashioned way of having food) doesn't have any of those things added.
it was 'all' organic when I was a child.

We hear that word "chemicals" a lot. We lump them altogether like they are all bad. Obviously we don't want to be eating gross amounts of lead and mercury, but everything is made up of them and 90 other natural elements which are all chemicals. Maybe someone could list the good and bad elements (chemicals) for us so we know what to avoid.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Well Juan, you believe what you want to. Do remember - people need their jobs and they will do what they are told to do. When you are hired on in these places, you sign a multitude of papers regarding what you will or will not do or say on or off the job. All those pages clearly state that if you violate those pages you sign you may be dismissed for doing so. While those people may want to tell you what I have just told you, I'm sure they are not to whisper a word. I didn't just kind of get to know the people in SOM - I worked with them on a daily basis. It's a pretty good sized store (Nanaimo Woodgrove) and has about 125 employees and at the time I worked there, I knew them all. I still know a lot of them and I trust what they walk up to me and tell me, over someone I know more casually. If they are willing to tell me what product not to buy in their store along with what not to buy at SS then I think I have pretty good reasons for believing them. I'm not talking about kids but about people who have been there for years and years - probably getting close enough to retirement. It is my opinion (totally MY opinion) that that store will close when Walmart opens as a Super Walmart. I hope I'm wrong.
Prices have gone up at SS and who knows - maybe it will change also to a No Frills (or whatever the name is) once Walmart completes it's reno's. At the very least, I see SOM changing to a Price Smart but I truly have no idea.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well Juan, you believe what you want to. Do remember - people need their jobs and they will do what they are told to do. When you are hired on in these places, you sign a multitude of papers regarding what you will or will not do or say on or off the job. All those pages clearly state that if you violate those pages you sign you may be dismissed for doing so. While those people may want to tell you what I have just told you, I'm sure they are not to whisper a word. I didn't just kind of get to know the people in SOM - I worked with them on a daily basis. It's a pretty good sized store (Nanaimo Woodgrove) and has about 125 employees and at the time I worked there, I knew them all. I still know a lot of them and I trust what they walk up to me and tell me, over someone I know more casually. If they are willing to tell me what product not to buy in their store along with what not to buy at SS then I think I have pretty good reasons for believing them. I'm not talking about kids but about people who have been there for years and years - probably getting close enough to retirement. It is my opinion (totally MY opinion) that that store will close when Walmart opens as a Super Walmart. I hope I'm wrong.
Prices have gone up at SS and who knows - maybe it will change also to a No Frills (or whatever the name is) once Walmart completes it's reno's. At the very least, I see SOM changing to a Price Smart but I truly have no idea.

I would think that a store that deliberately changes the "Best before" date when in fact the guarantee of quality has expired would be setting themselves up for a law suit, if not criminal charges. I would think if I for instance bought a steak or pork chops and brought them home and ate them right away and got sick, what the date said would be a moot point. I think the bottom line would be whether the manager and meat manager are reputable people, is more important than the chain.