How exactly is this Christian???

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I believe the second link is a joke aimed at fundies, not a true site. Pretty funny though.

The first, while supported by public tax dollars, they are religious schools and so should be allowed to censor what ever they do not feel suits their curriculum. I certainly don't agree with it, but they have that right within their school system.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I believe the second link is a joke aimed at fundies, not a true site. Pretty funny though.

The first, while supported by public tax dollars, they are religious schools and so should be allowed to censor what ever they do not feel suits their curriculum. I certainly don't agree with it, but they have that right within their school system.
Fixed and I don't agree.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I've never agreed with tax dollar going to support religious schools bad bad precedent. We are all entitled to opinions and beliefs. It's when we insult, harass and demean others is when I draw the line. You can be as opinionated as you want just don't cross the line to being an insulting troll. I think PC should mean "politely correct" not "politically correct". I meet a Mormon missionary on the street I say "Sorry, not interested. Have a nice day". There are some out there who would launch in to a diatribe about being disturbed by some religious nutbar. There are some even here who call others stupid and of low intelligence due to religious views. This is plain bad manners. I've even fallen in to that trap when angered. For which I genuinely feel remorseful over, not like some fundie bigots :)

I certainly do not agree with this particular example of censorship expressed in the first link. But as I have my right to practice whatever spiritual path I wish so do they.

The second one is plain silly. Paganism is no threat to family values and general goodness. Children are influenced by fads and what is cool though. I have friend who was raised Dutch Reform and after Harry Potter all 3 of his daughters took turns borrowing all my books on paganism and magick. He was overjoyed. His girls are now avid readers and pour over books on many subjects from history, mythology, cooking, biology and astronomy. He says he now lives with a B!tch and 3 Witches. I think if Harry Potter leads kids to paganism all the better. A virtuous life led is still a virtuous life wether you espouse christian, muslim, jewish, pagan, zen, hindu or buddhist beliefs. Fortunately the book burning kind of fundie is still a tiny minority and considered cranks by even mainstream christianity (I think and hope).

That said I would be more than willing to toss every 50Cent album on to a fire. With Saw dvd's as kindling. They do nothing to bring people back to a virtuous and good lifestyle. Extolling an ex crack dealer and trying to come up with new ways to brutally butcher a human being is not even half arsed entertainment in my book.

Does that make me a hypocrite? I don't think so. A life well lived is a live well lived. Is Gandhi an evil man because he did not follow christian tenets? Are natives rediscovering their past and spirituality, through pow wows (hope this is a correct term) or drum ceremonies, after years of oppression by church and state, evil?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
And I agree with following whatever path you choose.

I do not agree with censorship, nor do I condone the subjugation of childrens minds.

chipati

Feb 3, 2007
One Voice

Since I am the blogger from the first link mentioned, I thought I would weigh in here. I am glad to have found a Canadian forum, BTW.

I think Canadians are quite liberal in what they allow in their schools. There doesn't seem to be the knee-jerk reaction found in places populated by the religious right. I find this incident disturbing for a couple of reasons. The book was pulled (not yet banned, and in my opinion, not likely to be banned) from the library shelves because of the anonymous letter of someone who could be a parent at the school. The school has chosen to err on the side of caution that this book is totally unsuitable for its students. However, while it is being reviewed, NO other child has assess to it at the school because of the opinion of one person who may or may not be concerned about their child reading it. This is not the school board deciding that the book isn't suitable. It has not been through that process yet. This is an example of what one voice can do even when it is clearly in the minority.

The irony is that there are likely many, many books still in that library that this parent would find unsuitable.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Since I am the blogger from the first link mentioned, I thought I would weigh in here. I am glad to have found a Canadian forum, BTW.

I think Canadians are quite liberal in what they allow in their schools. There doesn't seem to be the knee-jerk reaction found in places populated by the religious right. I find this incident disturbing for a couple of reasons. The book was pulled (not yet banned, and in my opinion, not likely to be banned) from the library shelves because of the anonymous letter of someone who could be a parent at the school. The school has chosen to err on the side of caution that this book is totally unsuitable for its students. However, while it is being reviewed, NO other child has assess to it at the school because of the opinion of one person who may or may not be concerned about their child reading it. This is not the school board deciding that the book isn't suitable. It has not been through that process yet. This is an example of what one voice can do even when it is clearly in the minority.

The irony is that there are likely many, many books still in that library that this parent would find unsuitable.
And there lies the slippery slope that we all fear from appearing.

It only takes one voice to start the ball rolling down that slippery slope.

btw, how did you find our lil corner of the internet?

chipati

Feb 3, 2007
You Found Me, I Guess

I was looking through the sitemeter on our page and found the link to this forum.

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
FTR please do not judge Canadian intelligence by this site.
Probably the dumbest site around.
Nevertheless, welcome aboard eh!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
cHILDRENS MINDS MUST BE FILLED , WILL BE FILLED, sorry for the caps, they are the hope for the future, fill them up if you dare. Your replacements are ready, can,t wait, evolution at work,

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC