Have you used induction cooker?

kb24

Sep 24, 2008
Hi, everyone, I am new here! Nice to meet you all.
I like cooking so much, It makes me happy all the time.
Recently I bought an induction cook top, it really has changed my cooking style, no fire, and the temperature of the air around will not increase any more, safer for the chef. More important, it can work with the power more than 1500W, cooking faster than gas, and, which I like most, clean.
I think this cooktop will bring you a lot convenience, recommendable! I bought at a professional induction cooker on line store.
induction cooker

Hope you guys will like it!
it is for my gift for meet you

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm not about to click the link (sorry... don't know you... I'm paranoid) but I've been eying up the new induction cookware and cook top through Zellers. For roughly $500, you get a huge set of pots and an induction cook top. Pretty decent.
Zellers induction cookware

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
it'd take a lot to covert me from my love of gas cookers. I hate that any other kind always takes several minutes to cool down when you turn them down. To prevent a pot from boiling over on my current stove, an electric one, you have to turn it down 5 minutes before it boils. yucky

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
it'd take a lot to covert me from my love of gas cookers. I hate that any other kind always takes several minutes to cool down when you turn them down. To prevent a pot from boiling over on my current stove, an electric one, you have to turn it down 5 minutes before it boils. yucky

As one who has boiled (over) many pots of potatoes on an electric stove, I feel yer pain.

A gas stove would be nice except when there's an "accident" and the gas main or line explodes, leaving one standing on a small island in the kitchen all charred like Wiley Coyote, whilst your house lies in ruins around you.

Far better to watch the pot as it boils, slide the lid slightly off centre, and turn the rheostat down to 2 or 3 or whatever. Simple.

Look thee to thy pot.

8O

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I was thinking I would go with the Zellers system so I have one energy saving induction burner (which works like gas Herm.. once the heat is off, it's off), and keep my main electrical stove. I've always cooked with electric, so I'm very used to it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Where in hell were you people and your induction cookers when, just a short time ago I was having an internal struggle on these boards about new appliances, finally spending close to fifteen hundred dollars on a Smooth top, self-cleaning, convection, stainless steel stove that has top elements that stay hot long enough to cook another meal after you are finished.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
juan, if you'd wanted that same range in induction, you'd have been looking well over $5000 from what I've read. Plus you'd have to buy induction pots and pans. It's not a practical solution for a full range yet, imo. I'm considering buying the small induction burner from Zellers, only because I need all new pots and pans and figure I may as well buy induction ready while I'm at it. But I'd never splurge for an induction range yet. The tech is too new, and thus too pricey.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
juan, if you'd wanted that same range in induction, you'd have been looking well over $5000 from what I've read. Plus you'd have to buy induction pots and pans. It's not a practical solution for a full range yet, imo. I'm considering buying the small induction burner from Zellers, only because I need all new pots and pans and figure I may as well buy induction ready while I'm at it. But I'd never splurge for an induction range yet. The tech is too new, and thus too pricey.

My wife just told me we spent $1700.00 on our range plus tax but you are right. This new system might be the best thing since sliced bread but it is still very expensive. When it comes right down to it, I wanted a gas range along the lines of the Jenn-air range but that didn't fit in our budget either.
Induction is going to be a hard sell in that you have to have the right pots and pans for it to work and they also seem pricey.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My wife just told me we spent $1700.00 on our range plus tax but you are right. This new system might be the best thing since sliced bread but it is still very expensive. When it comes right down to it, I wanted a gas range along the lines of the Jenn-air range but that didn't fit in our budget either.
Induction is going to be a hard sell in that you have to have the right pots and pans for it to work and they also seem pricey.

Through Zellers they're really not too crazy expensive, but, if you look at Sears they're charging almost $200 per pan. And, some of the stainless steel pots are already usable through induction. Essentially, it's just that you have to have a magnetic pan, and so many pans are copper and/or aluminum. But a lot of stainless steel do work apparently.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Through Zellers they're really not too crazy expensive, but, if you look at Sears they're charging almost $200 per pan. And, some of the stainless steel pots are already usable through induction. Essentially, it's just that you have to have a magnetic pan, and so many pans are copper and/or aluminum. But a lot of stainless steel do work apparently.

I don't think we will be getting into induction any time soon. Hell, we haven't even seen the inevitable news stories telling us how bad these induction cookers are for our health. We just bought a new range and last year we bought a set Lagostina, stainless steel pots and pans. One way or another, our decision has been made. I will continue to bit-ch about how long the elements on our new stove stay hot but hey, we got'em and we'll live with'em.....;-):lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't think we will be getting into induction any time soon. Hell, we haven't even seen the inevitable news stories telling us how bad these induction cookers are for our health. We just bought a new range and last year we bought a set Lagostina, stainless steel pots and pans. One way or another, our decision has been made. I will continue to bit-ch about how long the elements on our new stove stay hot but hey, we got'em and we'll live with'em.....;-):lol:

Personally I like how long the smooth tops stay warm. It helps keep the food warm when it's not all perfectly timed.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Personally I like how long the smooth tops stay warm. It helps keep the food warm when it's not all perfectly timed.

Plus it helps keep the kitchen warm on a cold day. On a hot day......??;-):smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Plus it helps keep the kitchen warm on a cold day. On a hot day......?;-):smile:
On a hot day I use the side burner on the barbeque. Even an induction cooker boiling water will make the house muggier than it may already be. lol

Nataraj

Mar 27, 2009
Accident usng Induction Stove

Accident usng Induction Stove

Induction stoves are becoming common nowadays. Lots of brands are being marketed all over Coimbatore. Interestingly, we don't find any big brands like LG,Samsung,Philips in the fray. Most of the local distributors are assembling these imported parts from China or Taiwan.

I had a bad experience while using an Induction Stove. I borrowed a piece from a friend of mine for checking out before purchasing. The brand of the stove was "Phoenix'. My friend was using in his office mainly for boiling water for making tea. My idea was to check out whether one can make Dosas using the stove.

I placed the usual cast iron made Dosa plate on the surface and powered the stove. While touching the plate it seemed to me that the plate is getting hot rather sooner than expected. I reduced the frequency to 300 by using the touch buttons on the stove, so that the plate gets a steady temperature.

After about half a minute I had just moved away to get some water , suddenly I heard an exploding sound! The plate has exploded into 4 fragments and got hurled about 10 feet in diameter. One of the pieces was burning hot. I was plain lucky to have moved away from the stove in the niche time to escape unhurt. My family members including my children were also not present anywhere near luckily. Otherwise we might have had to get hospitalized due to the impact.

I would like to give a few suggestions in the light of this bad experience:-

1. Stick to the specifications recommended by the vendors. They sell utensils specific for use with induction stove, mainly stainless steel utensils.

2. Marketers and sales persons should highlight the dangers of wrong usage of the stove. Since the product is still in the inception stages, I doubt whether the vendors themselves are aware of the safety measures to be taken care of. Normally sales persons just mention about using magnetic material based utensils. They need to be aware of users of the 'adventurous' kind like me.

3. The authorities need to alerted regarding the unbranded cheap models from China and Taiwan. Are these being manufactured under the specifications of safe operations? Are there specific allowed range of working frequencies of vibration of these stoves? Are the vendors following these? Is there a body to regulate and control these local vendors from unscrupulous manufacture and sale of these kind of goods?

4. Finally , in a lighter vein, I recommend men to leave this kind of decision making regarding cooking gadgets to the women of the house. Women have an intutive knowledge about what works and not works the kitchen. They somehow 'know' that new devices like Microwave ovens, induction heaters etc are faster methods, but the food never tastes 'natural'. My wife was vehemently against using induction stove for no reason I can still comprehend even though I have been impressed by the technology at the outset itself.

Diarygirl

Electoral Member
Oct 28, 2008
Newfoundland
Has anyone tried the Flavourwave cooker as advertised on TV? Just curious about it and would like to have some feedback if so.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Has anyone tried the Flavourwave cooker as advertised on TV? Just curious about it and would like to have some feedback if so.

I haven't tried them but I've seen a few advertising blurbs. A few months back we just bought about $6000.00 worth of new appliances but they are all conventional, tried and true.......meaning it's too late now...;-):smile: I doubt we'll be changing anytime soon.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
quoting Natarag
4. Finally , in a lighter vein, I recommend men to leave this kind of decision making regarding cooking gadgets to the women of the house. Women have an intutive knowledge about what works and not works the kitchen. They somehow 'know' that new devices like Microwave ovens, induction heaters etc are faster methods, but the food never tastes 'natural'. My wife was vehemently against using induction stove for no reason I can still comprehend even though I have been impressed by the technology at the outset itself.

Sorry Natarag. I don't subscribe to any theory that suggests that one gender is somehow more competent than the other. I've cooked ninety percent of the meals in our house for forty odd years. This says a great deal for my wife who is a great cook, but she has stepped aside because she knows I love to cook.