Handy and Useful Tips

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
If they don't find you handsome....

Fall weather is here in the great NW and with the cooler evenings some might be thinking of having a fire to warm things up. Just thought it might be an idea to remind people how quickly things can go astray and to be safe.

Always be careful with fire, fill the firebox 1/3 - 1/2. Stuffing it full is not good strategy and a poor use of fuel. Add as required. It's worth taking the time to inspect and clean the chimney. Check fire alarms and extinguishers. An ounce of prevention can be a pound of cure. Enjoy.

Please add a tip if so inclined and somehow we will save the world together.

Reactions: Mowich

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Use the time zone switch dates (even if you live in SK where you don't switch time zones) as a reminder to swap out the batteries in your smoke detectors & thermostat if it is battery powered. Swap out your furnace filter every month or two.

(I woke up to a cold house this morning, furnace blowing but cold air. Started checking with thermostat to confirm could hear click when it cuts in, etc...Then checked programming to make sure someone didn't play with it. Then swapped out batteries just on principal. Nothing still. Trouble shooting & no flame. Cleaned flame sensor (next most common problem) & nothing. Checked for trouble codes & got "Roll Out Flame Sensor" tripped. My furnace has two of them & one was tripped (thankfully these ones have reset buttons). At that point I got flame but for only 20-25 seconds. Went out and checked venting inlet & outlet pipes for blockages & they where good, so back to the furnace to check the burner tubes (alignment, etc...). Two where tight & one I could wiggle a bit. Turned breaker back on and that seems to have cured it for now (House warming up). Will call in a service tech tomorrow for a service when it's not weekend rates. Five year old high efficiency unit that has never needed to be opened since installation so no reason for a lose burner tube so no reason for a misalignment after five years....weird.)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Thanks for the reminder I just now changed the two thermostat batteries and kept the old batteries to power the two computer mouses for the next year! waste not...........
The old mercury switch thermostat is still hooked up in parallel on the other side of the wall about 10-12 degrees lower!
How is that for paranoia

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Use the time zone switch dates (even if you live in SK where you don't switch time zones) as a reminder to swap out the batteries in your smoke detectors & thermostat if it is battery powered. Swap out your furnace filter every month or two.
(I woke up to a cold house this morning, furnace blowing but cold air. Started checking with thermostat to confirm could hear click when it cuts in, etc...Then checked programming to make sure someone didn't play with it. Then swapped out batteries just on principal. Nothing still. Trouble shooting & no flame. Cleaned flame sensor (next most common problem) & nothing. Checked for trouble codes & got "Roll Out Flame Sensor" tripped. My furnace has two of them & one was tripped (thankfully these ones have reset buttons). At that point I got flame but for only 20-25 seconds. Went out and checked venting inlet & outlet pipes for blockages & they where good, so back to the furnace to check the burner tubes (alignment, etc...). Two where tight & one I could wiggle a bit. Turned breaker back on and that seems to have cured it for now (House warming up). Will call in a service tech tomorrow for a service when it's not weekend rates. Five year old high efficiency unit that has never needed to be opened since installation so no reason for a lose burner tube so no reason for a misalignment after five years....weird.)
Scotch bright the ceramic piece on your ignitor.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
One woman's solution to the glob or whatever they call the buildup plugging London's sewer system was to use tin foil formed in a cup by the drain of the sink to catch bacon grease, Once it cools and solidifies it is easily tossed out. It was all over the news a few months back.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Here's one for the home diy'er with drywall taping on the list. Soaking the paper tape before applying makes it stick with a very thin layer of mud. Makes it a far less daunting task.

TheShadow

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2020
Grand Bend
We used to have a burn barrel for debris that feel from the trees etc and one year we decided to punch a hole in the bottom and attach a leaf blower to it.

We then decided that we were going to burn anything we didn't want in that barrel.

It was glorious!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
One woman's solution to the glob or whatever they call the buildup plugging London's sewer system was to use tin foil formed in a cup by the drain of the sink to catch bacon grease, Once it cools and solidifies it is easily tossed out. It was all over the news a few months back.
I re-purpose my soup cans for discarded grease and use them until they are almost full. I also re-purpose my cream containers or re-sealable dog treat bags for any other semi-solids I want to discard. Nothing but water goes down my sink. I like a healthy septic system. :)

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Not that travel is advised and I actually hope they are restricting visits but anyone interested in taking the ferry to Haida Gwaii needs to make a reservation up to two days in advance. Showing up at the pier in Prince Rupert does not guarantee a spot which was my experience.

In hindsight the two day wait around Prince Rupert would have been a good idea that i didn't think of at the time. Pretty cool area. Seemed like quite a bit of history. Hot, sunny, late June day as well.