God's sport

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
"Zimbabwe. That really is scraping the bottom of the barrel"

Windies are ranked #9 world wide. Hopefully, we shall soon rule the cric world again! (Sorry, can't help but be the eternal optimist!)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
yes I did, he played for the senior B salmonbellies, but
we watched the top team play too.

Jack Bionda was the 'up and coming' hero back then, came
just a little later.

Jackie northrup, archie browning, biff bull, just a few
names come to mind, can't remember others, probably too old for you to know.

I saw Bionda as an oldtimer. His ball handling skills are unmatched in any era and in any lacrosse league. Second place isn't close.

We lived close to Paul Parnell and my brother was close friends with Al Lewthwaite. Loved those teams. Goss, Winzosky etc.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I saw Bionda as an oldtimer. His ball handling skills are unmatched in any era and in any lacrosse league. Second place isn't close.

We lived close to Paul Parnell and my brother was close friends with Al Lewthwaite. Loved those teams. Goss, Winzosky etc.

I remember Lewthwaite, and parnell name is familiar too and
Goss.
We were lucky to have seen Bionda in his hay day, and yes
he was very special, and so strong.

JamesPPB

Nominee Member
Mar 15, 2010
There was only test cricket in those days, one day and other forms of cricket came later.

You really haven't got a clue. One day County Cricket matches have always existed. I know that limited overs came later. Don't talk to me as if I know nothing.

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
Cricket is the only game where the crowd uses more energy than the players. It is also the only game where you can enjoy a good nap in the sun and not miss anything.....even if you;re playing..........:cool:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"sticky wicket"?

That's when the pitch (field) is not in playing shape.

In the old days, sticky wicket meant you probably will get a result in the test match. It is difficult to play on a sticky wicket (incidentally, the term ‘sticky wicket’ has entered the common speech from cricket) and players would get out quickly.

On the other hand, a batsman friendly wicket and the probable outcome was a draw. But a batsman friendly pitch had its advantages. You got to see the famous batsmen in all their glory, hitting fours and sixes, making centuries. I still remember in one memorable over, Sandeep Patil of India hit six fours. Interestingly, in the subsequent interview he refused to claim he was a great player, he gave that credit to Ian Botham of England.

Watching interesting batting leading to a draw was as enjoyable as the sticky wicket, where players got out quickly and you got a result at the end of five days.

I remember in England once I attended England vs. India match, Gavaskar made 175. It was quite interesting, quite exciting cricket. Incidentally, the match ended in a draw.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"Zimbabwe. That really is scraping the bottom of the barrel"

Windies are ranked #9 world wide. Hopefully, we shall soon rule the cric world again! (Sorry, can't help but be the eternal optimist!)

When I was digging up the archival material for James, I happened to glance at the latest West Indies vs. Zimbabwe series. Apparently West Indies lost one test match to Zimbabwe by 2 runs. Oh, the shame of it, to lose to Zimbabwe.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
You really haven't got a clue. One day County Cricket matches have always existed. I know that limited overs came later. Don't talk to me as if I know nothing.

And didn't I mention county matches in my post? I said that a series would typically consist of five test matches and several county matches. Although most county matches with the visiting team lasted three days, not one day (things moved slowly in old days, the test cricket being the only game in town). The inter county matches now, many of lasted only for a day (though even here, three day matches were not unheard of).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The FACTS here Records | Test matches | Team records | List of series results | Cricinfo.com
DO NOT support your erroneous claim that MOST test matches used to be drawn 20 years ago or that MOST matches are drawn nowadays.
So please, stick to the FACTS, not your inaccurate memories of the situation as it was 20 or 30 years ago!

I did not say that MOST matches ended in a draw, I said that a great many of them did. In fact, in one of my posts I gave the typical result in a test series, two wins, one loss and two draws. That is hardly most matches, is it?

In the old days, if it was a sticky wicket (as gopher put it), it meant there will probably be a decision. A good pitch, a batsman friendly pitch, and the most likely result was a draw. I remember some test series with four or five draws, but two draws in five was the norm in those days.

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Cricket is the only game where the crowd uses more energy than the players. It is also the only game where you can enjoy a good nap in the sun and not miss anything.....even if you;re playing..........:cool:

You obviously have not attended some of the soccer matches in Britain and in Europe. Not only plenty of energy is used during the match (shouting, yelling, chanting etc.), but after the match as well.

We lived in Scotland for two years. When we moved to Glasgow, we were told to avoid the city centre whenever there was a Celtics vs. Rangers game on. It led to violence many times after the game. Not only there was soccer rivalry, but religious tension as well (Catholic vs. Protestant).

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The FACTS here Records | Test matches | Team records | List of series results | Cricinfo.com
DO NOT support your erroneous claim that MOST test matches used to be drawn 20 years ago or that MOST matches are drawn nowadays.
So please, stick to the FACTS, not your inaccurate memories of the situation as it was 20 or 30 years ago!

Here are a few entires from that website.

Results | England | Cricinfo.com

The Ashes, 1912, 2 draws, England won 1.

India vs. Pakistan, 1954/1955. All five drawn.

West Indies in India 1958/59. West Indies won 3, 2 drawn.

This is about what I remember to be the norm. Out of five, typically two would end up in a draw. Although it was not unheard of for a series to have five draws or five results.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I played lacrosse in the days of wooden sticks and no 30-second clock. It was a far more aggressive game than today's watered-down plastic stick version.
Those were the days. I remember leaving the res and the game for a few years. Once I got out of Juvy and into High School, I went to try out for the school team. I showed up in a tshirt, a pair of cut off jean shorts, and sporting my hand made wooden stick.

I was rebuffed for my lack of safety equipment. I went out and acquired said regulatory equipment and couldn't handle the ball with gloves on, I could spin and maneuver with the pads on and quite frankly, it felt like f!cking with my clothes on. Those crappie aluminum sticks suck balls. You can not get the same velocity with those, you can't twist a shot with them. They are absolutely useless. And yet I still own one, lol. But I still have three hand made wooden ones that put it to shame.

Does cricket have goal posts?
Yes, they're called wickets and SJP is moving them around just as fast as he can.

I suppose if one can't move it, it becomes a "sticky wicket"?
I was going to give you a rep for the last to posts, but it won't let me. LW you made me laugh out loud, those were gems.

Quite so, TenPenny. the two mean pretty much the same thing (I have already mentioned that I stopped following cricket more than 20 years ago, so whatever I say by definition applies to that period), you are finally beginning to master the intricacies of English language.
To bad you haven't the same grasp of commonsense.

So ... do you think Edsel sales will be brisk?
There's a nother one that deserves honourable mention...lol...

I find some of your comments unfriendly and unnecessary. There's no need for that.
Of course there isn't, so long as it's being said to him. But him and his cabal are as free as birds to ignorant James. We've learned to deal with it.

If it's any consolation, I would have to believe you, an actual Brit, over SJP and his convoluted memory any day.

That's how he talks to everybody, and if you keep proving him wrong, he'll put you on ignore.

SJP splashes around the absurd like a 5 year old in a blow up wading pool.

Sorry if I offended you. But you started it, with the following comments of yours.
Anyway, let us call a truce, OK?
Good call, he's spanking the crap out of you.

I did not say that MOST matches ended in a draw, I said that a great many of them did. In fact, in one of my posts I gave the typical result in a test match, two wins, one loss and two draws. That is hardly most matches, is it?
BS, you said...

What are you talking about? A test match lasting 1 or 2 days? Indeed. A test match lasts for five days. After two or three days, they have a day of rest, so a test match, counting the day of rest, goes on for six days.
You said that as a matter of fact, no "if's" "ands" or "buts" about it.

And you certainly did not use the word "most".

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

Don't they stop for tea in England?