God's sport

JamesPPB

Nominee Member
Mar 15, 2010
Really? Or are you thinking of Girls field hockey? Of which my wife was captain of the team. There was many a weekend I got no loving, because those girls were so rough, they would bruise each others box with those hooked sticks.

You should see it played without pads or gloves.

No, lacrosse.
There's a big difference between hockey and lacrosse and I do know the difference. Plus hockey unlike lacrosse isn't only played by girls in England. I played hockey at secondary school...god but it's a back breaking sport, bent over all the time and only allowed to use the flat face of the club and only allowed to play right-handed.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Test match - max 2 days, sometimes 1 day.
Test series - A test series isn't as many incorrectly think a match that goes on for 3 or 4 days, but as the name implies, it is a series of Test matches between two national teams. The Ashes between England and Australia is a Test series.

What are you talking about? A test match lasting 1 or 2 days? Indeed. A test match lasts for five days. After two or three days, they have a day of rest, so a test match, counting the day of rest, goes on for six days.

Even then, a great majority of test matches end up in a draw. Each side gets two innings, and it is difficult to get a side out twice in five days.

A test series is exactly what it implies, a series of test matches, usually five. A test series is played between two countries. Thus Australian team may visit England, play five test matches and several county games. The winner of the series is said to have won the rubber (or only in England/Australia match up, The Ashes).

I used to follow cricket quite closely when I lived in Britain for eight years. I used to play recreational cricket there, though I never played for a team. At that time, West Indies used to be the strongest team. South Africa still used to practice apartheid in those days and no other country would play South Africa, they were a pariah nation even in cricket.

I lost track of cricket after I returned to Canada. These days I think the West Indies team is pretty weak.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I just looked it up and Sir P is wrong again. So obviously he does not fully understand cricket. lmao
Playing time
See also: Playing time (cricket)
Test cricket is played between two teams of 11 players over a period of up to a maximum five days (though finishing earlier if a result is reached before the maximum time). On each day there are usually three two-hour sessions, with a forty minute break for "lunch" and a twenty minute break for "tea". For example, in England, common times of play are as follows:

• First session: 11am – 1 pm
  • Second session: 1:40 pm – 3:40 pm
  • Third session: 4 pm – 6 pm
In addition, short breaks (5 minutes) may be taken during each session for "drinks", commonly after an hour of play. A 10 minute interval is also taken between changes of innings.
The times of sessions and intervals may be altered in certain circumstances, for example:

• If bad weather or a change of innings occurs close to a scheduled break, the break may be taken immediately;
  • If there has been a loss of playing time, for example due to bad weather, the session times may be adjusted to make up for the lost time;
  • If the batting side is nine wickets down, the tea break is delayed the earlier of 30 minutes or until the team is all out;[6]
  • The final session may be extended by up to 30 minutes if 90 or more overs have not been bowled in that day's play (subject to any reduction for adverse weather);[7]
  • The final session may also be extended by 30 minutes (except on the 5th day) if the umpires believe believe the match can be decided within that time (this is in addition to any time added to complete the prescribed number of overs).[8]
In the early days of the game, Test matches were played over three or four days. Up until the 1980's, it was usual to include a 'rest day', often on the Sunday. There have also been 'Timeless Tests', which did not end after a predetermined maximum time. In 2005 Australia played a six-day match against a World XI which the ICC sanctioned as an official Test match, though the match reached a conclusion on the fourth day.
- Wiki

According to the rules, the structure of test cricket is;

Game Structure

Test cricket is a game that spans over two innings. This means that one team needs to bowl the other team out twice and score more runs then them to win the match.
In test cricket there is no limit to the innings length.
Cricket Rules - Cricket Rules

Last edited by a moderator:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Lacrosse makes hockey look like a gentleman's sport.

My daughter plays both, but she might not do lacrosse this year. It's quite a sport.

My husband and my brother played lacrosse for a few years, they were very
good players, but you have to be tough, it is a rough sport,
they call it the fastest game on two feet.

I've seen girls lacrosse, years ago when they first started
organizing, and they were out of control, they had to get
use to the body contact, girls don't do that like boys as
they grow up, just in play, it isn't as natural for them,
but I'm sure by now, they should be a little more respectful
of one another, and not get furious every time another
player touches them.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
"These days I think the West Indies team is pretty weak."

Lately, they showed some improvement in their ODI series with Zimbabwe. Hopefully, they will build on that. In fact, they even managed to capture a couple of wickets by kicking the ball unto the stumps, soccer style! What remarkable skill!!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I played lacrosse in the days of wooden sticks and no 30-second clock. It was a far more aggressive game than today's watered-down plastic stick version.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Did you go to the Salmonbellies games?

yes I did, he played for the senior B salmonbellies, but
we watched the top team play too.

Jack Bionda was the 'up and coming' hero back then, came
just a little later.

Jackie northrup, archie browning, biff bull, just a few
names come to mind, can't remember others, probably too old for you to know.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I was pleasantry surprised to see live Indian Premier League cricket on Channel 24 this week. Scandalously, there has been no live cricket on British terrestrial television since 2005, the glorious summer when England won the Ashes, which is bizarre in a nation where cricket is the national sport in the summer. It's only been shown on channels such as Sky Sports.

But now there's every IPL game live on Channel 24. It's not proper (Test) cricket. It's Twenty20 cricket, with each team limited to just 20 overs per innings and one innings per team. But those balls are whacked all over the place. It's great fun. And there are cheerleaders who strut their stuff every time a wicket is taken.

The other day I watched Rajasthan Royals take on Delhi Daredevils. The Royals have the great Shane Warne in their team, as well as English players Dimitri Mascarenhas and Michael Lumb.

Delhi have got players such as England's Paul Collingwood and South Africa's AB de Villiers.

Delhi won that match by six wickets (142-4 to 141-6).

Last edited: