Global Warming ‘Greatest Scam in History’

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
dirtylinder, if you must believe everything that you read, for goodness sakes don't read the Tin Hat Times.

In a New York Times Op-Ed piece, Robert L. Park reports on the quiet cancelation by NASA of an Earth observing satellite called the Deep Space Climate Observatory, also called Triana. Positioned at the L1 Lagrange point, it would have had a continuous view of the full Earth and carried instruments to monitor the planet's energy balance, contributing to our understanding of global warming. Although "competing priorities" were cited, Dr. Park also points out that a better understanding of global warming is not exactly one of the Bush administration's highest priorities.

There are other Earth monitoring satellites, and I know there are other priorities for NASA and the US government. But it really seems unfortunate that this relatively low cost spacecraft (which has been ready for launch since 2001) will not be used for this important mission.

Well, this is a nugget. But this: http://oig.nasa.gov/old/inspections_assessments/Nethercutt.pdf is the dirt.

Then there's good old Wikepedia, "
Derided by critics as being an unfocused project, the satellite was nicknamed GoreSat, and was often referred to as an "overpriced screen saver" by Republicans. Congress asked the National Academy of Sciences whether the project was worthwhile. The resulting report stated that the mission was "strong and vital.

"Faced with political hostility on one side and scientific support on the other, Triana could neither be launched nor could it be terminated. Triana was removed from its original launch opportunity on STS-107 (the ill-fated Columbia disaster mission). The $100 million satellite remains in storage at a cost of $1 million a year."

dirtylinder

get dirty
Apr 24, 2007
vancouver island
I didn't read it,(NO, I don't believe everything I read, how assumptious!) as I stated it was in his latest video...what his VIDEO stated (NO I don't believe everything I watch) was the warming includes earth, and encases our whole galaxy...perhaps you read between lines we don't see?!? No time to research what you have posted at this time..off to my Chamber of Commerce meeting..CHEERS!

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
Sorry Dirtlinder. My eyes glazed over when the dude announced galactic warming. The universe is cooling I'm afraid, and we can't stop it. The universal freeze is some years off but one thing that we can all do right now is worry. Another thing we can do is stop science because science is what caused it. If it wern't for science I could sleep at night.

For me, it is one more revelation, and a punch in the mouth, to learn that NASA caved in to congressionalm pressure, that the separation of science and state does not exist in America, the deepest intellectual well on the planet. Surely then it probably exists nowhere.

So much for science. If NASA can piss on it, why shouldn't I? I guess my naivety has taken a brutal hit.

"I'm just going outside and may be some time." Last words spoken by Capt. Lawrence Oates before stepping out at the South Pole, having no intention of returning.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
In the '70's it was much more than small circles who were predicting an anthropologically caused ice age, in fact the first earth day was greatly concerned with that imminent event, caused by burning of fossil fuels. That's not at all the same thing.

The evidence is the recurring pattern. Are you suggesting that the pattern will change? If so what would cause such a change? The scientists who've been warning us for years insist that it is coming, and there is nothing we can do except plan and adapt. I see no reason to believe they are wrong, though I would certainly wish they were.

Have you ever actually investigated who said what back in the 1970's? The National Academy of Science said there was very little evidence to support an oncoming ice age. Rasool is the author most often cited, but his study said nothing about impending ice age, instead he made a prediction about what would happen if aerosol levels increased by a magnitude of between 6 and 8.

Try finding any other studies that claim an ice age is pending Extra. It seems you've been told there are many, or perhaps you read them. I'd like to read them.

The pattern is in the kyr scale. Simply looking at the patterns and saying it looks like we're due for an ice age will not suffice. Have you found the empirical evidence of forcing changes which brought about the ice ages? Is it large enough to overpower the anthropogenic forcing? Where is the evidence Extra? Which scientists have been warning for years?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
SwitSof's expert, "But the pack ice has reduced by 40% in thickness during the same period which is considerable”

The article goes on to state that while the melting of the entire polar cap will have little effect on ocean water levels, 10% of the Greenland ice would be substantial.

What's with this ice? The polar caps has far less ice than Greenland? Obviously I am not even aware of where the deluge is to come from.

Now I'm off to find the f..... satellite that doessn't give a schit where the pollution or water or ice any other earthly is, just measures the energy balance, no politics included. I hear a knock at the door. A most omenous wrap. If I'm not back before the sharks take Toronto, keep your chin up and your jockstrap tight.

The polar caps are floating ice, and melting polar ice is the same as placing an ice cube in a glass of water. When the cube melts, there is very little change in the volume of water left in the glass.

Ice sheets on Greenland and Antarctica are above water, so if they melt, they add that volume to the sea levels, and yes there is a lot of ice there.

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
According to my climate expert, Switsof, the expert he quoted that I quoted in turn is not his expert. This has become a matter of considerable complicacy.

Of course the northern ice cap is floating, Tonington. I knew dat. The old ice in the drink trick.

But what about that other pole? Isn't it rather larger than Greenland, attached to the same planet, and like a really, really big icecube? Then the sea expands from rising temperature, and we aren't really controlling, only causing. Possibly a bad idea. Who is it, besides polar bears, that doesn't like global warming? NASA doesn't mind.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The Southern Pole is a continent, the ice is above water for the most part.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
How about our northern citizens who's homes are sinking into the water and their livlihoods destroyed.

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
Tonington, "Antarctica is a continent.'

More of this leftist B.S. I cannot bear.

Walter, "Devastating man-made global warming is here, they insist, and causing terrible, terrible suffering."

Walter, you are usually so not insane. This thread is getting to you. Tonington, once one of sound mind, has completely lost it, and you, lying amongst the global warming dead, have been overcome. And come come, "terrible, terrible?" You've been writing again! You know what that does.

O.K., so we probably have this global warming. My own assistants say that the chances of an historically unusual warming are one in eleven million (approximately), but the chances of our causing a warming are 87.65%. The satellite that could cut the doubt in half or better sits idle. And so here we are, and 12.5% of the people, all of whom happen to have big mouths or oil stock, say that global warming isn't happening, or is a myth, conspiracy, etc.

The larger scientific consensus, for what it is worth, which is generally huge and the bulk of what we know, says it's warming. I have a hard time finding excuse to buck our best geeks on this, while denying them the instruments of inquiry. As long as DSCOVER or it's kind sits in storeage, we will listen to this ignorant arguement for decades.

How do we buy this satellite/ How do we get it launched?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Leftist BS? Read up on a subject before you spew your verbal diarrhea. You are under the impression there is no land under Antarctica? You're in over your head Jim, and you should fire your assistants.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Shishmaref is in Alaska, but for Canada Sachs Harbour is in the process of sinking into the permafrost.
They may have to look for work elsewhere. Economic migration has been around as long as people have.

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
Tonington, your intellect may be less ponderous than you think. If there really was an antarctic continent, somebody would have told me. I've got a goat and about $11.00 here that says we can launch that satellite!

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
If there really was an antarctic continent, somebody would have told me.
My name is now Somebody.

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
If there really was an antarctic continent, somebody would have told me.
Somebody, again.

[SIZE=+3]Antarctica[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]
  • [SIZE=+1]Geography: [/SIZE]Antarctica is the icy continent at the South Pole. It is covered by permafrost (permanently frozen ground), is surrounded by water, and is about 1 1/2 times larger than the United States. The world's largest desert is on Antarctica. 98 percent of the land is covered with a continental ice sheet; the remaining 2 percent of land is barren rock. Antarctica has about 87% of the world's ice.
  • [SIZE=+1]Climate: [/SIZE]The South Pole is the coldest, windiest, and driest place on Earth. The coldest temperature ever recorded on Earth was at the South Pole; it reached -128.6°F (-88.0°C)! On average, most of Antarctica gets less than 2 inches of snow fall each year.
  • [SIZE=+1]People: [/SIZE]Although scientific expeditions visit Antarctica, there are no permanent human residents (because of the extreme weather, which includes freezing temperatures, strong winds, and blizzards). There are about 4,000 seasonal visitors to Antarctica.
  • [SIZE=+1]Location: [/SIZE]Antarctica hasn't always been located at the South Pole. It has drifted, like the other continents, and has ranged from the equator (during the Cambrian period, about 500 million years ago) to the South Pole. During the time of the dinosaurs (the Mesozoic Era, about 65 million to 248 million years ago), Antarctica was more temperate and housed dinosaurs and many other life forms. Now, there is very little indigenous life.
[/SIZE]

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
Oh, THAT Antarctica. I knew dat.

If that white patch melts off the sea goes up by 70 meters. That's a lot. I'd like to see some maps of the world with an additional 70-140 meters of seawater, whatever year that might be. If everything is happening as fast as I've heard, this is a mere 100 year scenario. They should be building the first 10 floors of the new World Trade Centre in New York with the fish in mind.

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
O.k. Walter. You're Sombody already. But Antarctica has shifted. And who shifted it?

I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am. Let's face it. It was you, Walter.

Status
Not open for further replies.