Get out and Vote on May 2nd. Consider the blank ballot option.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
A blank ballot is an admission that your a failure in life because your always looking for other people to do things for you and then all you can do is criticize.

As apposed to being someone who does not like what he sees and does things to make things better for everyone.

No, no blank ballot for me, I'm not a loser !!

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
A blank ballot is an admission that your a failure in life because your always looking for other people to do things for you and then all you can do is criticize.

As apposed to being someone who does not like what he sees and does things to make things better for everyone.

No, no blank ballot for me, I'm not a loser !!

Hmm... yeah...

A blank ballot is like saying you're expecting everyone else to do the thinking and doing for you, but if you're going to be that apathetic you pretty much are going to have to take what you get.

If you don't like any of the options, then get out there and suggest *something*.

It's not that hard to look up times and addresses for political meetings, and go, and listen, and offer an opinion or two if you have any.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
By the time you get to do nothing in a polling booth its too late. If people get involved
it is far better.

I got involved, nothing changed and it's the exact same as when I didn't vote, so tell me how that's better.

Nobody yet has explained that to me, no matter how many times I ask..... it's just "It's better if people get involved."

Yeah?

How??

atlanticaparty

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2006
www.atlanticaparty.ca
I got involved, nothing changed and it's the exact same as when I didn't vote, so tell me how that's better.

Nobody yet has explained that to me, no matter how many times I ask..... it's just "It's better if people get involved."

Yeah?

How??
I think Praxius asks a good question, people keep saying 'get involved'. Ok so we go to political meetings, sign petitions, start a cause, create websites, we organize our friends and families, we pour over the issues and educate ourselves. We do all of this and more. And then what? Where does the change come from?

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Change comes from the people who actually go out and vote. It may not be the change you want, but majority rules. You want change, get enough people who agree with you to vote.

atlanticaparty

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2006
www.atlanticaparty.ca
Ok, so I do a ton of work get a bunch of people who agree with me on an issue and we wait a few years for an election to come along. You are still assuming that the reps running in the riding have a position on this issue, correct?

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Now you have to get a representative who also agrees with you and show him/her the support you can offer them. Just the support you could offer might even sway a representative to your cause.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
That is why you need a lot of citizens supporting it. You may need our Second Amendment if the government does not listen to the majority.

atlanticaparty

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2006
www.atlanticaparty.ca
The process you outlined makes it clear why most people are 'not involved', years of work, many people etc etc to have the chance of change. And at the end of the day the whole thing gets mediated by a small group of people. If the change threatens their interests the issue is dead. Under this scenario any political reform that returns power to the hands of citizens and out of the hands of parties will never succeed.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
That is what we all are fighting at this moment, and right now special interest groups are winning. Both the Democrats and Republicans are corporations, we are only lead to believe that they are looking out for our interests and occasionally they let some of the wealth dribble down. For example this taxing the rich 2% of Americans will have absolutely no effect on out National Debt, they just hope it will make the other 98% think it does, as the debt continues to rise.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
You'll have to explain to me why a blank ballot is any different than not voting.

The problem with not voting is it is a vote for the status quo.....or whatever the status quo becomes.

in my opinion, any action is better than no action. so you need to get out there and vote for moron number 1, moron number 2, or moron number 3.

I can apreciate that you might want to send a message that they are all morons, but the election process is a selection process foremost, to decide not to select does not make sense to me.

atlanticaparty

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2006
www.atlanticaparty.ca
You'll have to explain to me why a blank ballot is any different than not voting.

The problem with not voting is it is a vote for the status quo.....or whatever the status quo becomes.

in my opinion, any action is better than no action. so you need to get out there and vote for moron number 1, moron number 2, or moron number 3.

I can apreciate that you might want to send a message that they are all morons, but the election process is a selection process foremost, to decide not to select does not make sense to me.

A blank vote is counted like all the others, it is a valid 'none of the above' vote. Much better than not voting.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Boycotts don't work and never have. People won't waste their time going to a polling station for nothing.