Gestopo shows up in Oshawa now.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
A man was asked to leave a city council meeting in Oshawa and told the plaincloths police officer standing above him to step back so he could get up. When he did the guy jumped him and his partner joined in. Now cops are attacking citizens at council meetings. I don't think the session was even underway and the guy clapped ironically or something.

Oshawa City Council Brawl Leads To Assault Charges (VIDEOS)

At last night's meeting council was considering the findings of an investigation by the auditor general that raised concerns that city staff had misled council about a land deal.

At the end of the long meeting council voted to eliminate the auditor general's position by the end of this week.

Marimpietri said he's been in office for a decade and never witnessed a citizen being treated that way for clapping during a meeting.

"Clapping doesn't constitute a violation in which someone has to be choked out, taken down and thrown out of council chambers," he said.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You're the little attention s-l-u-t..

S'cuse me? That would describe you actually. There is plenty to discuss about how a citizen was handled, or manhandled as the case may be, and evicted from a civic meeting that's open to the public, without resorting to tossing "Gestapo" in the title of the thread.

How many Nazi references is it now by the way?

Try to not be so overly dramatic and you may find that you can actually stimulate discussion, which is what the whole purpose of this forum is. Keeping resorting to this kind of petty, childish, incredibly immature name calling when you get called out on your overly dramatic self, and you'll just end up getting a forced vacation, I can almost guarantee it.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
"I was just happy we dealt with it the way we did and protected those people in the room including those staff," [the mayor] said.

I just think we are going to be protected right out of all our freedoms. Why were there "plainclothes" cops at a city council meeting? It's pretty obvious the council decided aherad of time to crack some heads.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Plain clothes cops at city council meetings, sinister at best. What would upset me more
would be the guy being attacked by plain clothed bakers.
Gestapo is a word that should only be used in the most severe of cases of outrageous
behaviour. This city council has some problems I am betting that is true but the police
may be there with cause or they may be like some thugs behaving badly in the police
force.
I say that because every time the police take someone down does not mean the cops are
bad or out of control it means they are doing their job and protecting those they are
supposed to serve. Then there are cops who taser eighty year old ladies abusing their
powers of common sense. Before saying anything we should determine which is appropriate.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
"I was just happy we dealt with it the way we did and protected those people in the room including those staff," [the mayor] said.

I just think we are going to be protected right out of all our freedoms. Why were there "plainclothes" cops at a city council meeting? It's pretty obvious the council decided aherad of time to crack some heads.

Hold out the shiny button with the right hand, while taking things away with the left hand. It's just more of the same, but it's getting really brash and ballsy of late, or so it seems.

Now, mind you, still not the marching on to the death camps schtick of the Gestapo, but poor behaviour none the less.

Plain clothes cops at city council meetings, sinister at best. What would upset me more
would be the guy being attacked by plain clothed bakers.
Gestapo is a word that should only be used in the most severe of cases of outrageous
behaviour.
This city council has some problems I am betting that is true but the police
may be there with cause or they may be like some thugs behaving badly in the police
force.

YES!!!

say that because every time the police take someone down does not mean the cops are
bad or out of control it means they are doing their job and protecting those they are
supposed to serve. Then there are cops who taser eighty year old ladies abusing their
powers of common sense. Before saying anything we should determine which is appropriate.

And YES!!!

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The fat dude (who bent to put on his shoe...why they were off anyway is anyone's guess) in the ratty clothes wasn't 'jumped'. Watch the video.

Also, we don't see or hear what he'd done to cause the Mayor to ask him to be removed by security. After he fought back, the plainsclothes cops arrived.

IMG 1915 - YouTube

As for the other clown, same as above...we don't know what initiated the arrest.

Police brutality, corruption, and social injustice in Oshawa Ontario PT1 - YouTube

Little drama and fewer details.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Gestapo describes this perfectly. I gather the mayor of that little burg has his own personal police force. Fricken jackboot should be out directing traffic, because he sure as hell has a problem with patience and dealing directly with the public.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Gestapo describes this perfectly. I gather the mayor of that little burg has his own personal police force. Fricken jackboot should be out directing traffic, because he sure as hell has a problem with patience and dealing directly with the public.
I think "Gestapo" is a little overdone if the guy is ever seen again.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
S'cuse me? That would describe you actually. There is plenty to discuss about how a citizen was handled, or manhandled as the case may be, and evicted from a civic meeting that's open to the public, without resorting to tossing "Gestapo" in the title of the thread.

How many Nazi references is it now by the way?

Try to not be so overly dramatic and you may find that you can actually stimulate discussion, which is what the whole purpose of this forum is. Keeping resorting to this kind of petty, childish, incredibly immature name calling when you get called out on your overly dramatic self, and you'll just end up getting a forced vacation, I can almost guarantee it.

You're not excused.

There's no excuse for this kind of thing, just how do you think societies get to the point where entire segments of the population get slated for oppression or even removal, it's one step at a time. And as surprising as it is I now live in a Canada where the government doesn't listen to the people anymore and the authorities actively work in ways that are doing us harm, possibly great harm.

So keep your snide BS to yourself if you don't have anything to add that's different from the abusive crap we're getting in ever increasing amounts from on high.

I think "Gestapo" is a little overdone if the guy is ever seen again.

We're supposedly a civil society, the thing I find really disturbing is the guy was basically attacked for standing up for his right to protest abusive government, if we don't have any way to do that where does it end?

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007

At the very least I care, all I can see from your response is, "Yawn"...apathy.

hmmm.

My main question.... How are the marked security guards 'plainclothes police'?

That's your main question?

You don't have a problem with how the confrontation started in the first place?

At last night's meeting council was considering the findings of an investigation by the auditor general that raised concerns that city staff had misled council about a land deal.

At the end of the long meeting council voted to eliminate the auditor general's position by the end of this week.

Marimpietri said he's been in office for a decade and never witnessed a citizen being treated that way for clapping during a meeting.

"Clapping doesn't constitute a violation in which someone has to be choked out, taken down and thrown out of council chambers," he said.

It started with the guy clapping ironically when the city council decided to eliminate the auditor general position who was looking into a crooked land deal the city council was involved in.

Why have any real input in government when we can all say, "Who gives a damn", it's so much easier that way. Until it no longer is, and by that time it's too late to do anything about it because there's simply no way to speak truth to power. And we're pretty much there now.

And downchecks are pretty much childish Karrie.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
At least he posted something that didn't involve Harper.

Who?

There is no Harper, just like the Mob didn't exist back in the 1950s.

The truly ridiculous thing here is that some members actually think that Canadians aren't going to want to discuss one of the most controversial PMs ever.