Frustrations mount as COVID’s 4th wave sweeps across Quebec

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Right now in Quebec there is serious tension between English and French speakers within the province. On my side, I don’t socialize with my French speaking neighbors anymore. It’s an all out war. The reason is Bill 96.

The Legault government wants to do away with our civil rights altogether. On my side, as a unilingual English speaker who was schooled entirely in English in Montreal, I would need to hire a translator out of my own pocket when requesting some government services. For instance, I wouldn’t be able to present a court case in English anymore. It would have to be in French. So if I couldn’t afford a translator, I’d be found guilty by default.

So then the government wonders why I haven’t gotten vaccinated. How the hell can I trust the Legault government with my health and safety when it’s hell bent on removing all of my civil rights and delegating me to second class citizen? I’d have to be insane to place my health and safety in the hands of this government.

Frustrations mount as COVID 4th wave sweeps across Quebec
Speaking to reporters in Lévis, Quebec Health Minister Christian Dubé warned there is little wiggle room in the province’s hospital system and urged people who haven’t yet done so to get vaccinated.

“If I had one message to get across so we can get through this fourth wave, which we’re handling pretty well right now  —  though it is challenging in terms of cases and hospitalizations  —  it’s that those who aren’t vaccinated, please do so,” Dubé said.

“We can see it,” he added. “The only people in intensive care are people who aren’t vaccinated.”

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Right now in Quebec there is serious tension between English and French speakers within the province. On my side, I don’t socialize with my French speaking neighbors anymore. It’s an all out war. The reason is Bill 96.

The Legault government wants to do away with our civil rights altogether. On my side, as a unilingual English speaker who was schooled entirely in English in Montreal, I would need to hire a translator out of my own pocket when requesting some government services. For instance, I wouldn’t be able to present a court case in English anymore. It would have to be in French. So if I couldn’t afford a translator, I’d be found guilty by default.

So then the government wonders why I haven’t gotten vaccinated. How the hell can I trust the Legault government with my health and safety when it’s hell bent on removing all of my civil rights and delegating me to second class citizen? I’d have to be insane to place my health and safety in the hands of this government.

Frustrations mount as COVID 4th wave sweeps across Quebec
Best move .

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So the right thing to do is for the rest of the country to stop offering french translation. Hell we even let people do their citizenship test with a translator.

Reactions: no color

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
That’s craziness. I’m out in Saskatchewan, & the last time I was in an SGI outlet (plating my truck a few weeks back that was in storage), the sign said they offer services in 17 languages & it’s not like we have 17 official languages in Canada or Saskatchewan.

Maybe Saskatchewan being conservative is just more progressive conservative that Quebec? Maybe Quebec is in a different nation than the rest of Canada….?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
That’s craziness. I’m out in Saskatchewan, & the last time I was in an SGI outlet (plating my truck a few weeks back that was in storage), the sign said they offer services in 17 languages & it’s not like we have 17 official languages in Canada or Saskatchewan.

Maybe Saskatchewan being conservative is just more progressive conservative that Quebec? Maybe Quebec is in a different nation than the rest of Canada….?
They have the courage of their convictions . Our fathers used to as well .

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Seriously, just googled & SGI (Saskatchewan Gov’t Insurance) offers their services in Arabic, Bengali, Cantonese, Dene, English, Farsi, Filipino, French, Gujarati, Hindi, Mandarin, Punjabi, Pushto, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian, & Urdu.

With that in mind, what the deal with Quebec? Is it just to be Dicks (?) ‘cuz it obviously doesn’t have to be that way.

Maybe the Saskatchewan Gov’t could contract out translation services for Quebec? It doesn’t just have to be natural resources & equalization dollars flowing east but common sense and diplomacy as well.