Ford: Electric cars will soon overtake Gas

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Leftists are f*cking stupid. They love saying that nobody needs a semi-automatic firearm and yet the same sad sacks cream their jeans over an EV that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds or less. Because EVERYONE needs a family vehicle that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds or less. No safety issues there. Especially with the sad decline in driving skills.

Reactions: taxslave

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
I am an old gearhead from way way back. Raced in the Sixties, build my own engines & tranny's, Alfa, Porsche, Cosworth etc. To me the sound of a flat plane crank big V-8 winding up, or the lovely howl of a Ferrari V-12 is the best sound ever.
However, physics shows us that an electric motor with its lovely torque curve is the only way to go. Batteries are their only limitation and that technology is moving faster than ever expected.

Had a ride in a Tesla 3, and a Taycan recently. They, or something like them are the future; nae doot aboot it. Fabulous.

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
I beg your pardon? I'm a lying scumbag pseudo-environmentalist, and I LOVE nuclear fission!

Hell, I can't wait for fusion!

As I pointed out elsewhere, I once demonstrated to an anti-nuker that Chernobyl, the worst nuclear disaster in history, killed fewer people than one year of normal operation of coal-fired power plants.

Let the U.S. Navy do the oversight. 59 years of running fission reactors, perfect safety record.

Turns out when you can only run 1000 feet, you get motivated to make sure the reactor's all copacetic.
Excellent post and 100% accurate.

Any time I meet a greenie to is also anti-nuke I immediately know I am either taking to a fool, or a dangerous Luddite wannabe.

One very pleasant old lady told me she was against nuclear reactors because "they contain atoms"!
A GreenPeace canvasser who claimed he was finishing a degree in physics at U of T was so ignorant of the subject that even when I explained reactor fuel cycles and the actinides produced, he was still on his ignorant lying rant.
FTRA few years ago, GreenPeace made +USD$ 150 million profit just in the U.S.
In Canada they avoided opening their books.

Sigh!

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I am an old gearhead from way way back. Raced in the Sixties, build my own engines & tranny's, Alfa, Porsche, Cosworth etc. To me the sound of a flat plane crank big V-8 winding up, or the lovely howl of a Ferrari V-12 is the best sound ever.
However, physics shows us that an electric motor with its lovely torque curve is the only way to go. Batteries are their only limitation and that technology is moving faster than ever expected.

Had a ride in a Tesla 3, and a Taycan recently. They, or something like them are the future; nae doot aboot it. Fabulous.
Hey, I'm an old gear head too. Owned a '71 Mach 1 with a rebuilt 351 Cleveland mated to a 5 speed gear box, and a '71 Chevelle SS with enough power to light up a small town. And yeah no doubt some of the EVs are quite fast, impressively fast. But that wasn't my point. My point was the idiocy of the twats who say that no one needs a semi-automatic rifle and then get all excited about an EV just because it does 0-60 in 3 seconds or less. Using the leftist anti-gun logic one can just as easily state that no one needs a street vehicle capable of doing 0-60 that quickly. Yet how many of the anti-gun crowd would run out and buy one if they could afford it? I can think of at least 2 or 3 in here.

You know what's funny though? About 25 or so years ago I wrote both the Ministry of Transport and the Ministry of Public Safety and asked them, with the highest posted speed limit in Canada (at the time) being 120 kph, why did they permit the sale of cars that were capable of going twice that speed and more? Neither one answered.

To me anyway it seems like a logic gap. Recently I was watching video of a new Dodge Hellcat tearing up a Texas (IIRC) highway. It was moving so fast the news plane covering the story couldn't keep up with it and it was doing 135 mph. The highest posted speed limit I've seen in the US is 80 mph.

But like I said, I do love fast cars. My dream is to drive the Nordschleife track in a classic Mustang GT Shelby KR 750. And while I like fast cars I also only like driving them that fast when I'm not on public roads and highways. If I want to unwind my car and risk only my life and health that's my choice. I don't have the right to risk the lives of others nor have I ever felt self-entitled enough to not give a shit. Unfortunately, there's a significant number of drivers on the road, and growing, who just don't feel or care about that level of responsibility behind the wheel.

LewisScott

Nominee Member
Dec 7, 2020
In some time, we would see people using bikes regularly. These manual bikes were at a boom some time ago, but they have almost lost their existence now in the world. However, soon there would be shortage of fuels and people would prefer bikes more than any other transport.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
In some time, we would see people using bikes regularly. These manual bikes were at a boom some time ago, but they have almost lost their existence now in the world. However, soon there would be shortage of fuels and people would prefer bikes more than any other transport.
There will not be a shortage of fossil fuels in the lifetime of anyone currently alive, unless it is government induced.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Lord, Mr Ford
How I wish that you could see
What your simple horseless carriage has become
It seems your contribution to man
To say the least, got a little out of hand
Lord, Mr Ford, what have you done?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
SO here is the important question. Who, that likes cars would buy an electric Mustang? That would be about as gay as it gets.
Who? People who are okay with getting a solid EV that doesnt have the build quality of a Chevette. The sedan idea is odd but keeps Ford in the cop car game.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

LewisScott

Nominee Member
Dec 7, 2020
There will not be a shortage of fossil fuels in the lifetime of anyone currently alive, unless it is government induced.
That's not how we should see it. I know the non-renewable resources are enough to last a lifetime of everybody alive on this planet, but these are depleting rapidly. And every kid in the school is taught about making sustainable use of the resources, which we all forget in the future. Renewable fuel sources might help, but meeting the needs of the growing population is a huge challenge and this, vehicles that hardly use any fuel would perform better in future.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
That's not how we should see it. I know the non-renewable resources are enough to last a lifetime of everybody alive on this planet, but these are depleting rapidly. And every kid in the school is taught about making sustainable use of the resources, which we all forget in the future. Renewable fuel sources might help, but meeting the needs of the growing population is a huge challenge and this, vehicles that hardly use any fuel would perform better in future.
There is enough Oil reserves in Canada and the world to take us well past the next true power source, today's EC vehicles are not the answer to match our demands. The answer maybe in battery capacity, but IMO it isn't, with the war on ICE vehicles will bring us to a new power source that is either a concept or to be discovered yet.

Reactions: LewisScott

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That depends on the amount of damage to the environment caused by making these so-called renewables. And disposing of their waste afterwards. So far windmills and solar panels do more net damage than good.

Reactions: LewisScott