Fish and Chips....I love 'em.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We have fish and chips maybe two or three times a year. There is a batter mix called GOLDENDIPT. that makes really world class fish and chips. The batter mix comes in a blue box at the supermarket that costs $2.59. The box contains two envelopes of mix. Each envelope will do about ten good sized pieces of fish. For chips I use McCain's "Superfries". I don't have a deep fryer so I use a deep frying pan. Before you start, warm a couple bowls....One for the fish....And one for the chips...Line them both with paper towels. Cook the chips first according to the directions on the package. I save the oil for one more batch of fish and chips.....Strain it through a couple paper towels. This comes close to British fish and chips in London. Great stuff...

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
The best F&C's I've ever had was in the port town of Whitby in England when I was there this past summer. They do a mean deep fried sausage as well....wouldn't eat to many of them if you want to live long.;-)

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Unfortunately, the traditional Fish and Chip shop is dying out in Britain. These days one sees McDonald, Wendy, Subway etc., but very few Fish and Chip shops.

The traditional Fish and Chips are fried in oil (usually in peanut oil) and served wrapped in a newspaper. The newspaper serves to absorb the extra oil. Of course even with oil being absorbed, this is a recipe for obesity and increased cholesterol. Chips are served with salt and vinegar, never ketchup.

When we lived in UK, we used to eat Fish and Chips occasionally; there were then a few Fish and Chips shops around. Bu these days one sees very few traditional shops, one can get fish and chips in a restaurant.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Unfortunately, the traditional Fish and Chip shop is dying out in Britain. These days one sees McDonald, Wendy, Subway etc., but very few Fish and Chip shops.

The traditional Fish and Chips are fried in oil (usually in peanut oil) and served wrapped in a newspaper. The newspaper serves to absorb the extra oil. Of course even with oil being absorbed, this is a recipe for obesity and increased cholesterol. Chips are served with salt and vinegar, never ketchup.

When we lived in UK, we used to eat Fish and Chips occasionally; there were then a few Fish and Chips shops around. Bu these days one sees very few traditional shops, one can get fish and chips in a restaurant.

I saw one McDonalds the whole time I was there and no other American fast food places, plenty of F&C shops though.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Avro, in big cities like London, Birmingham, other American fast food places (besides McDonald are quite common). Fish and Chip shops are a lot less common. If you go to Manchester international airport, you will see Burger King, but no Fish and Chip shop.

There is a big shopping complex next to Victoria train station; there you will find McDonald, Wendy, Subway, but no Fish and Chip shop. Undoubtedly you will find restaurants which serve fish and chips, but not a traditional Fish and Chip shop.

I was in a village called Buxton, one hour from Manchester, for two weeks in August. In all of Buxton, I saw only one Fish and Chip shop and that was open only for lunch.

I have a feeling F and C shops cannot compete with other fast food places, especially American fast food places. They are part of a big chain and can keep their costs down. Fish and Chips shops are single, individual entities and don’t have the support of the franchise behind them.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I was given the name of the 'best fish & chips I've ever had', right here on Can. Con.
'Barb's Place', fisherman's wharf, victoria,b.c.
They are closed for the winter, but I will visit them next spring for sure.
You can sit right on a bench at the marina, to eat them, watch the seals,
just the right atmosphere for fish & chips.

I will try your suggestion juan, sounds yummy.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Well there's a place in Hudson, Qc called Serge Patate, and I have been to a lot of fish/chip joints but Serge comes out number one on all counts...

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I use the battered haddock from M&M when I want some fish'n'chips & McCain's fries are the only decent ones around.

McCain is so heavily gov't subsidized I am surprised that the y make anything of worth at all.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Over the years I have tried to make a batter that stays crisp and doesn't soak up the oil. When I found Golden Dipt about ten years ago I stopped trying. The same people make a Tempura batter mix that is very good as well. The directions on the package calls for you to add water. I have friends who swear that substituting beer makes a better batter. I've used both and I can't say I notice a big difference.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I use the battered haddock from M&M when I want some fish'n'chips & McCain's fries are the only decent ones around.

As a last resort you can always peel a few potatoes and cut them into chips-sized pieces.
For the fish, I use either cod or red snapper filets, and using the GoldenDipt batter mix, the result is better than anything M&M puts out.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Best fish and chips ever are served at a little shop by the dive park on the island of Catalina. It's just off the coast of California. My friend and I will take the early morning ferry and scuba dive for the day out there. In between dives, we get the BEST fish and chips every time.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Best fish and chips ever are served at a little shop by the dive park on the island of Catalina. It's just off the coast of California. My friend and I will take the early morning ferry and scuba dive for the day out there. In between dives, we get the BEST fish and chips every time.

I think most of us have a favorite place for fish and chips. Up till now, my favorite has been Sea Lover's in Vancouver. The next time I'm in Victoria I will try the place that Talloola mentioned.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This looks pretty good.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sounds like you can buy a franchise and set up your own store...

Ahhh.....How good can California codfish be????

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I had to leave before I finished my thought. There are a lot of people out there who think fish and chips have to be made with cold water cod or snapper. The flesh is said to be firmer and more tasty from fish above the 39th parallel. Sounds reasonable to me.