First worldwide survey of religion and science

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The study's results challenge longstanding assumptions about the science-faith interface. While it is commonly assumed that most scientists are atheists, the global perspective resulting from the study shows that this is simply not the case.

Read more at: First worldwide survey of religion and science: No, not all scientists are atheists

I think the troubles between science and religion are mostly brought about by religious claims. Science is simply better at describing our universe than any religion. Religions seem to be simply ways to guide people into living with each other in a civil manner, whereas science can really suck at that. They are two entirely different "species", if you will excuse the term.

Anyways, I am going to read the article now.
Slainte!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Science evolves from theories and questions while religion deals with
Absolutes according to a exact words that are two thousand years old
and rewritten god knows how many times.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Science evolves from theories and questions while religion deals with
Absolutes according to a exact words that are two thousand years old
and rewritten god knows how many times.
Much older than that Grumpy .You have to remember that lots of things are borrowed from other sources and oral traditions.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Science and religion are both sprung from natural philosophy the marriage of the two. Has the separation really been that sucessful? Science is the nuts and bolts. Where has the search for the big mind gone? To explain the interaction between the infinite sub atomic chunks requires an organizing force. It's an organized universe. What's the chance? How do you explain the platypus?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Deities evolved from fear of unknowns. Religions evolved from beliefs in the superstitious to a combination of things such as social engineering. Science evolved from curiosity. As I said, two entirely different species.

The platypus? haha I think they are cute and funny little critters.

Somewhere back in the Quaternary Period, about 100K years ago I think, was the origin of platypuses. Their genome seems to blend traits of reptiles and birds. Nature is an odd duck sometimes. hehe

EUREKA! Info here:
Platypus Genome Reveals Secrets of Mammal Evolution

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Deities evolved from fear of unknowns. Religions evolved from beliefs in the superstitious to a combination of things such as social engineering. Science evolved from curiosity. As I said, two entirely different species.

Somewhere back in the Quaternary Period, about 100K years ago I think, was the origin of platypuses. Their genome seems to blend traits of reptiles and birds. Nature is an odd duck sometimes. hehe

EUREKA! Info here:
Platypus Genome Reveals Secrets of Mammal Evolution
I think sometimes that one may fear the other. Science minded people might fear religion because of the dangerous results of willful ignorance. Religious peoples may fear science because it threatens their integrity and authority, such was the case of Galileo with his theory of Heliocentrics , and the Churches response to his claim. Shouldn't have to be that way though. We're all learning new stuff as time goes by. Shouldn't be any fear from either side. We're all humans trying to find our way through the dark into the light.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

EUREKA! Info here: The study's results challenge longstanding assumptions about the science-faith interface. While it is commonly assumed that most scientists are atheists, the global perspective resulting from the study shows that this is simply not the case.

Read more at: Platypus Genome Reveals Secrets of Mammal Evolution

I think deities where developed to address curiosity about the sun, clouds, the seas hunting, curiosity is the root of both, the search for explainations is common, faith propells the scientist in the first instance to look there instead of here, good religious practice is no less valuable to mankind than good science. There is the present danger of the rising technocracy bent on suppression of the emotional aspect of intelligence. The god of gravity will be someday be exposed as superstition, already the god Big Bang has been exposed as nothing but hocus pocus. What did Darwin say about the Platypus I wonder?

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan

Screw that! Those are venomous angry little f$$$s. Their venom hurts like a mother@#$@#$ because it's the only venom that attacks the pain sensors.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
People think all scientists need to be atheists?

Unless you're doing quantum physics (and even then) the question of the existence of a deity doesn't normally factor into most specialities.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Screw that! Those are venomous angry little f$$$s. Their venom hurts like a mother@#$@#$ because it's the only venom that attacks the pain sensors.
Take a deep breath and calm yourself. I think bears are cute and funny, too. That does not mean that I want to get terribly close to one.

I think deities where developed to address curiosity about the sun, clouds, the seas hunting, curiosity is the root of both, the search for explainations is common, faith propells the scientist in the first instance to look there instead of here, good religious practice is no less valuable to mankind than good science. There is the present danger of the rising technocracy bent on suppression of the emotional aspect of intelligence. The god of gravity will be someday be exposed as superstition, already the god Big Bang has been exposed as nothing but hocus pocus. What did Darwin say about the Platypus I wonder?
----->
<--- cannot happen. Gravity=myth. uhuh

People think all scientists need to be atheists?
Apparently that is the common assumption according to the survey.

Unless you're doing quantum physics (and even then) the question of the existence of a deity doesn't normally factor into most specialities.
huh?

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
=AnnaG;2212516]
----->
<--- cannot happen. Gravity=myth. uhuh
The Big Bang universe is a one mass universe where gravity requires at least two masses. So gravity and the big bang exclude each other. I did not say gravity was a myth or does not exist I said it was not explained properly yet by physics. Physics today uses four different types of Black holes and three different types of Big Bang. So when they speak of them they very seldom explain which applies to thier particular lecture. That multiplicity of form suggests faith, not yet fact.