Feds moving to ban plastic straws, bags by end of 2022: Guilbeault

Author of the article:
Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Mia Rabson
Publishing date:
Dec 21, 2021 • 15 hours ago • 1 minute read •
56 Comments
Plastic straws are pictured in Vancouver on June 4, 2018.
Plastic straws are pictured in Vancouver on June 4, 2018. Photo by Jonathan Hayward /THE CANADIAN PRESS
Article content

OTTAWA — It’s the end of days for plastic grocery bags and Styrofoam takeout containers in Canada.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

The federal government is publishing the draft regulations that will ban the manufacture, import and sale of six single-use plastic items that are difficult to recycle and have more environmentally friendly alternatives.

Plastic stir sticks, cutlery, six-pack rings, bags and Styrofoam takeout containers will be eliminated entirely.

Some plastic straws will be allowed in order to accommodate people with disabilities and others who need them for medical reasons.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said more than 18 months ago that some harmful single-use plastics would be eliminated by this year but the pandemic delayed an assessment on which ones to target.

Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault says the process for the draft and final regulations should allow the ban to take effect by the end of next year.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Remember when plastic bags were considered the solution to the "problem" of paper bags?

Just be sure to buy and carry a re-usable metal straw for drinking your drink from a one-use disposable plastic cup. That'll save the planet!

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Remember when plastic bags were considered the solution to the "problem" of paper bags?

Just be sure to buy and carry a re-usable metal straw for drinking your drink from a one-use disposable plastic cup. That'll save the planet!
Yep…..I’ve seen the six packs of metal reusable straws in the stores now and they sure look like an emergency room visit just waiting to happen. I have not bothered to look but I bet you there’s a string of horror stories regarding these metal straws already.

I’m curious what they’re going to offer (with respect to cutlery) in the fast food industry when somebody orders a poutine?

Reactions: taxslave

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yep…..I’ve seen the six packs of metal reusable straws in the stores now and they sure look like an emergency room visit just waiting to happen. I have not bothered to look but I bet you there’s a string of horror stories regarding these metal straws already.

I’m curious what they’re going to offer (with respect to cutlery) in the fast food industry when somebody orders a poutine?
"Utilisez les mains, mon ami."

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Feds moving to ban plastic straws, bags by end of 2022: Guilbeault

Author of the article:
Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Mia Rabson
Publishing date:
Dec 21, 2021 • 15 hours ago • 1 minute read •
56 Comments
Plastic straws are pictured in Vancouver on June 4, 2018.
Plastic straws are pictured in Vancouver on June 4, 2018. Photo by Jonathan Hayward /THE CANADIAN PRESS
Article content

OTTAWA — It’s the end of days for plastic grocery bags and Styrofoam takeout containers in Canada.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

The federal government is publishing the draft regulations that will ban the manufacture, import and sale of six single-use plastic items that are difficult to recycle and have more environmentally friendly alternatives.

Plastic stir sticks, cutlery, six-pack rings, bags and Styrofoam takeout containers will be eliminated entirely.

Some plastic straws will be allowed in order to accommodate people with disabilities and others who need them for medical reasons.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said more than 18 months ago that some harmful single-use plastics would be eliminated by this year but the pandemic delayed an assessment on which ones to target.

Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault says the process for the draft and final regulations should allow the ban to take effect by the end of next year.
Funny how government always lags so far behind industry. In the early 80s Interfor decided to do something about the plethora of styrofoam cups along their logging roads. The solution was to give every member of the crew their own engraved travel mug and remove styrofoam cups from the cook houses.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
My hands? With poutine? We’re not animals!! Seriously thought, many fast food places offer something like poutine that they call poutine…& without a fork it would be more that a bit difficult to chew through that hot congealed mess.

Then we have restaurants (eat in or take out) even out here on the Prairies like “Coney Island” that have this slop as their specialty (the German one is pretty damn good though).

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I have. Everything (ok, most things) in moderation. That shits designed to clog your arteries though…but it is good. Last night was home-made Elk Burritos & I’d stack them against any fare anywhere! They where fantastic!!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I have. Everything (ok, most things) in moderation. That shits designed to clog your arteries though…but it is good. Last night was home-made Elk Burritos & I’d stack them against any fare anywhere! They where fantastic!!
You need to have an Ulster Fry for breakfast. If that don't get you a free ride to the emergency room, nothing will!

I'm just joking with you, Ron. I'm from the land of Chili Bacon Cheese Fries. Except for a little spice, that IS poutine!

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
1640226543927.jpeg
These were crazy good yesterday. Used about 2lbs of ground elk, & 1lb of ground beef.

Started out with three large yellow onions and three purple onions and a big double handful of mushrooms, and sautéed them in olive oil before pulling them out and putting them to the side.

Then threw the beef and elk into a frying pan, with very generous helpings of souvlaki seasoning & pulled pork seasoning, and once the meat was browned incorporating back in the onions and mushrooms.

Then onto burrito wrappers with tomatoes and lettuce and green onions and sour cream and shredded marble cheese.

I know this doesn’t fit with the topic but damn it was good and easy to make!!!

Attachments

• 1640226505432.jpeg
    1640226505432.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0