Favorite places in Alberta.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
nelk said:
Hello Bluealberta

big ski country for shure where you are.
I remember the one and only two story outhouse in LUNDBRECK next to the CP tracks, the windsweeped ikonic tree near BURMIS
and the funny Watertower in BROCKET, the bullseye for native targetpraxis.
And of course "praerie oysters".
Have things changed much?
More windmills I read and the "big sea" thanks to LNID.

cheers

PS
almost forgot Gladstone Mountain Ranch, had many good Sunday brunches, great place and then relax with book from Andy Russel.
That were the good times!

Hey, you HAVE been here. Why did you leave?

Lots more windmills, you know, clean energy and all that. Yeah the Burmis tree is still there, still bent over. Water tower in Brocket though, gonna have to check that out.

Actually, it is quite wet here now, more moisture in the ground than for a lot of years. Actually need some wind to dry it out a little so the farmers can get in the fields! :lol:

Did you ever see Andy Russels place between Waterton and Pincher Creek? Eagles Nest, I think he called it. What a place.

Sigh. What a province.

As an aside to LRG, perhaps you are the reason you don't like Calgary. Most Calgarians I know are very friendly, but they really won't put up with anyone running down them or their city.

And one more thing, you mentioned that people from out of province are the ones developing the oil industry? Better bone up on your Alberta history, it was a bunch of Albertans who first developed the oil industry way back when, with no federal help, only their hard work, their own money, and their own initiative. There are a lot of people from out of Alberta now coming here to take advantage of the jobs these men helped start developing lo those many years ago.

With respect, LRG, if you really hate here that much, why not leave? You said you had been here 17 - 18 years? I am sure your wife has not been in one of our universities that long. Perhaps you like the Ralphbucks, the lowest personal income tax, the natural gas rebates on your utilities, the virtually nil unemployment rate, and no sales tax? Maybe when your wife gets here degree, she can use her knowledge on you to determine why your sense of anger is so high against a province, or city, that has apparently given you and your wife so much. 8)

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
I can't speak for lrg but I think his biggest issue with Calgary is how conservative it is. All the good economic points sometimes can't make up for the fact that you disagree with the ideology of the majority. They are young without commitments so they can freely leave.

Try being an atheist, leftist, gun control advocate like me living in the southern US and see if you don't feel like banging your head against a wall a few times a day :)

If it wasn't for those darn kids I have to feed and clothe I'd be outta here in a minute ;)

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
bluealberta said:
As an aside to LRG, perhaps you are the reason you don't like Calgary. Most Calgarians I know are very friendly, but they really won't put up with anyone running down them or their city.

You think I spend all my day bitching to people about being here? :roll:

bluealberta said:
And one more thing, you mentioned that people from out of province are the ones developing the oil industry? Better bone up on your Alberta history, it was a bunch of Albertans who first developed the oil industry way back when, with no federal help, only their hard work, their own money, and their own initiative. There are a lot of people from out of Alberta now coming here to take advantage of the jobs these men helped start developing lo those many years ago.

LRG said:
The oil and gas coming out of the ground does that. And a good portion of the people getting that oil out are from outside the province.

bluealberta said:
With respect, LRG, if you really hate here that much, why not leave? You said you had been here 17 - 18 years? I am sure your wife has not been in one of our universities that long...

LRG said:
Yeah, notice that we are leaving. So we'll be going to Saskatoon or Ottawa, where they have good schools for her major, then we could think about going somewhere else.

thecdn said:
I can't speak for lrg but I think his biggest issue with Calgary is how conservative it is. All the good economic points sometimes can't make up for the fact that you disagree with the ideology of the majority. They are young without commitments so they can freely leave.

Heh. Thats a good part of it. The other part is that I cannot believe that the pretentious, self-absorbtion, that I have to deal with from the people that come into my place of business, is representative of the rest of the country. If that is the case, I may have to change some of my world views.

sema4

Apr 23, 2006
For me I kind of enjoy Lloydminster right where Saskatchewan becomes Alberta. Nothing I've seen in Western Canada speaks about what thriving industry can do for a province than the contrast between the two halves of the city.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Favorite places in Alberta.

sema4 said:
For me I kind of enjoy Lloydminster right where Saskatchewan becomes Alberta. Nothing I've seen in Western Canada speaks about what thriving industry can do for a province than the contrast between the two halves of the city.

Yeah, that would be a little freaky. Is there any kind of antagonism from one half to another, especially when the Alberta side got Ralphbucks and the Sask side did not? Must have caused a few bad feelings.

Wonder why it was ever split like that. :?

May 15, 2006
Calgary
Little Running Gag is absolutely correct. As a native (but soon to be former) Calgarian, I have regularly witnessed, and been subject to, the kind of prejudice and ignorance he described in his post.
These prejudicial attitudes are generally 'understood' by other "like minded" folks ( the vast majority of Calgarians) who practice "superiority" (racial, social, economic, philosophical...you name it) of one kind or another. This unwritten social code is reluctantly acknowledged and accepted by most Calgarians who will usually say something to the effect of,"if you don't like it, then leave." Ask Olympic Hero Mark Tewksbury why he left town. Calgary has always been a very narrow minded city, but has become much worse due to the influx of narrow minded folks (in general terms, like attracts like) who are feasting on the economic boom. Sadly, aside from the oil business, the easiest way to make money in Calgary is to open up a bar. Any Calgarian who is not aware of this is living with their head in the sand (a common Calgarian trait).