Fake Electronics Endanger Troops

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
First they kill our cats and dogs with contaminated pet food, lead based paint on children's toys and now this.

A flood of counterfeit electronics parts made in China is making its way into U.S. military equipment and putting troops' lives in danger, Senate lawmakers warned Tuesday.

In an extraordinary hearing, Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Sen. Carl Levin detailed the ways that decades-old parts were sold as new to U.S. defense contractors, which installed them in new equipment in service today.
The presence of the fakes means they could fail in "life or death situations," senators said, when troops are relying on their electronics in combat or other extreme cases. "A counterfeit semiconductor is a ticking time bomb," said committee witness Brian Toohey, president of the U.S. Semiconductor Industry Association.

http://www.military.com/news/article/2011/senators-fake-electronics-endanger-troops.html?ESRC=marine-a.nl

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Hahahaha.

The US military is relying on electronics made in China.

At some point, someone is going to wake up, and think about the implications of this. I'm not referring to quality, I'm referring to the idea that China and the US are sitting on opposite sites of ideology, and China has stated that it intends to become the counter to 'US hegemony'...now, why would you use someone like that to build your military electronics?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Hahahaha.

At some point, someone is going to wake up, and think about the implications of this. I'm not referring to quality, I'm referring to the idea that China and the US are sitting on opposite sites of ideology, and China has stated that it intends to become the counter to 'US hegemony'...now, why would you use someone like that to build your military electronics?

I've never really been able to follow the bouncing logic ball. The US gives aid to China. China turns around and lends money to the US. The US uses that money to build an aircraft carrier and sails it to the South China Sea to protect Taiwan against China. You couldn't make this **** up.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Hahahaha.

And there lies the irony of that. In answer, because we outsourced our electronic manufacturing.

Always remember that your fighter jet is made by the lowest bidder.

We never purchased our jets from the lowest bidder, their performance can attest to that, as well as the price we paid per copy. ($300 ash trays) :smile: