Fair Dealing in Forum Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Administration

Administrator
Mar 24, 2002
Montreal
In an attempt to keep the forums clean and easy to get through, we now request that when you would like to share an article with the community that you only include a couple of paragraphs or quote certain points from the source. Please include a URL to the link where the article was found.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to keep the community clean of repeating points, copyright infringement and "Copy and Paste" wars.

Please post an article only if you know it's ok with the author or you are the actual author.

We are in no way trying to discourage discussion about anything, so if in doubt, just include a paragraph, a link or both.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Current Enforcement

I would like to know if this policy remains in effect today.

I have been pointing it out to several members, and I would hope that this practice continues to be encouraged, because it makes the forum much tidier and easier to navigate — if someone is interested in an article, then the most interesting and relevent points to the discussion should be posted, of course, but otherwise a link should be provided. There is no reason that an entire article needs to be posted, when one or two sentences would give the general impression of the article for the purpose of debate, discussion or supportive evidence.

Could some of the Administrators and Moderators comment, please?

The most humble servant of the Administrators and Moderators,

FiveParadox

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
RE: Fair Dealing in Forum

Five ... in general we encourage people to post relevant snippets of articles and discuss them. Posting an entire article is technically copyright infringment so it is discouraged.

Having said that, we don't run into any problems (so far) with the writers of such articles being upset about them posted here, provided they are given credit. The mods generally will not interfere unless someone is trying to pass off another person's work as their own.

Personally, if the article is short and relevant, I find it easiest to have it posted in its entirety. If the article is more than a couple of paragraphs, however, I find it annoying and often won't read it just because of the annoyance factor.

Folks who insist on posting entire articles are usually just shooting themselves in the foot. People are more interested in reading opinion here than having it be a repository for complete articles. We can all use Google so posting lengthy articles will usually mean a post is less likely to be read.

The short answer is that we don't generally worry about it. If the author of an article were to contact us, we would promptly and happily remedy any complaints.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I have abused the "privilege" on a couple of occasions....even when I understood the rule..... however other posters were putting up lengthy articles and I thought I could "pass". There are full articles this morning on these forums. Even so, only two of us were being chastized which I found negative nagging by one poster in particular.

Two or three articles I posted in full because they required registration or subscription and I made the decision to share them with the membership here. Other links especially from daily newspapers go "down" after 24 hours. What should we do? Continue to update the link or print it out. Your call.

The rule has become a particular fetish for one member to challenge others and unless the administration feel it necessary to remind me as a poster, I will do what I think best.

If that is not sufficient - that I use my adult brain - then I will move on.

If I ever felt I was subjecting this forum or its administration to the rules of copyright infringement, I would cease the practice.
It's called common sense - I try to use it often.

I would expect others to practice it - common sense does not always mean rigid rules which have to be monitored and called out!

I expect as a member here to abide by the wishes of three people only: Andem, Cosmo and Juan. If anyone else has a problem with what I write, or what I opine - report me - or take a breather or a pill.

On a deeper level, there are insults and belittling being practiced here which create an atmosphere of disruption by spoilers who intervene in a discussion with nothing much to add except insult and confusion to the topic at hand... and I think they are far more important to monitor than whether an article or link is properly posted.

Last week I felt Pee and Rev were stalking the halls. No thanks!
The people here are far more intelligent than to be called out for everything they do. We are adults - and should act as such and I include the younger group who have shown grace and talent here.

Finally - I learned a great deal last week on the topic of global communication and the problems associated with diversities in the use of languages, which opened up new interests for me from one member Machjo - and I thank him - in case I will not have the opportunity to do so again. It was the kind of thread which enriched me as a forum member. One of those rare instances when someone from a far away place can throw a topic out there and completely engage your mind. The beauty of internet forums.

This is an excellent forum - having a good mix of information and visiting friends or making new friends, and humor of all kinds - which we can continue to nurture or ....destroy.

It is a good opportunity here to thank Andem, Cosmo and Juan for the thankless work you guys do. It is like herding cats I know!
Thank you.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
o_O Sorry if I offended you, Wednesday's Child.

Consider my "pointing out" of rules, then, to have ended, if it has indeed become a nuisance. I hadn't intended for the end result to be me coming across as such an annoyance. I promise to leave you, and other posters, alone now.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
RE: Fair Dealing in Forum

WC ... no worries. Perhaps Five hadn't seen my post prior to commenting.

We don't worry about copyright unless the author of said material contacts us. If that were to happen with any regularlity, we'd let our folks know and we'd all have to respect their rights. As it stands, posting articles that are too long is self-governing ... folks won't read posts that are two pages long. Posting the entire article when it's short or appropriate, giving credit by providing a link or byline, is fine.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
FiveParadox

While I appreciate your apology - none was required - you are such a great and long term member of this forum - and your kindness to the new posters and your additions to the topics are a valuable asset for the people here.

Having pastes pointed out was certainly valid - however you selected two only rather than others who were doing the same thing and also wrote in another topic about the disruptive posts being made by Conservative Americans - which I thought over the top.

It is your right to post such feelings - my right to dispute your bias.
Lengthy posts have nothing to do with political favoritism. They
are posted by people all over the political spectrum - yes here on this forum - yet you selected two people who irritate you - and I challenged you.

You have every right to say what you wish - as do I.

It is also good of you to point out to people discrepancies they may be making unaware of the forum rules. It saves the administrators from being on constant monitoring. I knew of the long post (full citation) rule but as there were so many doing the same thing, I felt it was ok....but then you stopped advising people - and only admonished two of us. That's why I was upset.

Not that I am being defensive, nor is it anyone's business here, but I do not belong to the Conservative party, nor the Liberals, nor any party at all. I am miss "in between" and because my beliefs differ from either major party in the U.S. I have no idea who I will vote for (if I ever get the vote)... and certainly would have no idea who to vote for in Canada any more....and have not voted there for years.

I hope you are feeling better today and I also apologize for giving you a bad time when you are not well.

WC

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I want to be very clear in that I am very sorry for having offended you, Wednesday's Child. My mind has not been my own lately — you do not strike me as a very conservative person (not that being a conservative person is a bad thing), and I think it is quite obvious now that I had thought to express my thoughts with due consideration and reflection. I must obviously also reflect upon my own practices here on Canadian Content, as more than one member now have brought to my attention an apparent bias or alternate agenda on my part.

Guess it's a good thing I'm not a Moderator, eh? :)

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Toro

Who's Maggie???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You haven't caught Zoof-itis I hope!!! I doubt we can handle two of you.

ITN

He said "Let's get on with it"....not "Let's get it on" ......... :roll:
(I think).

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Wednesday's Child said:
Toro

Who's Maggie???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You haven't caught Zoof-itis I hope!!! I doubt we can handle two of you.

ITN

He said "Let's get on with it"....not "Let's get it on" ......... :roll:
(I think).

Why Maggie is Margaret Thatcher, didn't you know he has a Maggie fetish?

Oh and did he say let's get on with it? :p My mistake. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.