FACEBOOK: Federal Human Data Mining Program

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've never understood the paranoia about 'the man' knowing your information. It's all stuff they can find out anyway. So what do you do? Live your life in paranoid fear, never 'networking' incase the wrong people can find out about you? Well give me a break... sometimes that just keeps the right people from finding out too.

I'm on FB.... and I just don't fill in all the details, affiliations, daily info, place of work, home phone, etc. It's the internet after all, and even if the owners weren't mining info off it, someone else could be, without all the straight forward disclaimers.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
If you fear data mining, your born in the wrong century.

Now the only solution is to not do things you are ashamed of, who knows, maybe it will work out for the best.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
they can have all the information they want...they'll get what they want anyway. Like Karrie said, you just don't put stuff that will lead them to your door or bank account. If they want it they'll get it. The cost of living, owning, renting, purchasing, etc.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Where in that post did i say anything about fear :-?Its info for people that have no idea .Facebook don't tell you there going to sell your info now do they ;-)

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I put a false birth date on my face book. Does anyone know if the code on the face book aps is checked before people are allowed to install them?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Personal information equates to money in the bank.

Even if they say they won’t provide information they do.

Who buys this information?

Direct Marketing industry are the ones, you know the ones that send you addressed junk mail.

These companies will pay anywhere from ten dollars to a couple of hundred dollars per thousand depending on how recent the information is.

Did you ever notice that when you send a donation to your favorite charity all sudden all the other charities are sending you mail or calling you up for money?

Companies buy names and sell names and you can never prove who the ones are.

Do you realize that all a company needs is a two or more percent return before they can call it a successful campaign?

The more information they have there is a more chance that they will make a sale.

Dun and Bradstreet is a credit-reporting agency that has a lot of your personal credit information they make their money selling your information to businesses that want to do business with you.

Someone told me that the more information these companies have on you the more quality advertising you get instead of advertising you really don’t need.

In any business proposition you get, you will get some from scam artists and as long as you don’t let down your guard like in anything else you will be safe.

The survey companies that phone you up are data miners and just remember when they ask you what is the family income just pick the lowest amount then you will get less advertising and if you don’t want to do a survey just tell them you work for a media outlet.

Businesses are not interested in dealing with people that live under the poverty level and survey companies don’t want to deal with the media because they can figure out which company commissioned the survey.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
So they sell the information you give? So what.

Nothing in life is free, if you want something but don't want to pay cash they will find another way to eat. You think the 10's of thousands of programming hours to make and maintain facebook are free?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Dun and Bradstreet is a credit-reporting agency that has a lot of your personal credit information they make their money selling your information to businesses that want to do business with you.

Someone told me that the more information these companies have on you the more quality advertising you get instead of advertising you really don’t need.

Gee.... Maybe I should put a bit more info in there then 'cuz I get a little tired of junk mail trying to sell me bigger boobies and Victoria's secret....

Woof!

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
If you really are getting that, maybe you should.

I guarantee you that Victoria's Secret really doesn't wanna waste money mailing you stuff when their is 0 chance you would ever buy from them.