Emergency Food Stores

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'v been reading about permaculture for a while, it is beautiful stuff, a very old technique but very productive. Even if thier was no general global crisis these selfsustaining practices are truely liberating every hour spent at them pays dividents many times higher than the hour sold to the factory or the office that's perhaps something that the young would be well advised to incorporate.

It is a lesson that is well advised to be incorporated. Living in the city it's more difficult to pass it along, especially animal care. But, hubby and I are increasingly discussing the idea of setting up a small acreage.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Juan

Were you perhaps off-planet when a breaker in Cleveland (somewhere in Ohio) didn't respond correctly and fifty million people lost their electricity? Don't "expect" that your conveniences will be there all the time forever because they won't be!

I guess I slept through it in Texas, because I have no recollection of it at all. When was this?

Uncle

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
This reminds me of a topic I ponder from time to time.

Say some catastrophe befalls humanity. A true calamity that wipes out 99% of humans. What expertise would we have left to rebuild, assuming that basic survival skills allows us to regain some sort of meaningful means of sustenance, and that we can somehow organize back into societies? Or, what would the new world look like? What would the new infrastructure look like? What other species would survive, assuming it's not some kind of pandemic that targets only humans? Of course it's all idle speculation, but it makes me thankful that I've picked up a variety of intermediate skills over my young years.

I'm not sure how humane the survivors would be. They would do almost anything to survive, and that means acts that they may not do in "civilized" times.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I'm not sure how humane the survivors would be. They would do almost anything to survive, and that means acts that they may not do in "civilized" times.

You're probably right Shadow - alot of people would go a rabid for awhile... but I think some would find places to live, create small communities and eventually societies would again emerge. Hopefully with a different set of priorities.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada

I still have no recollection of it. Wasn't it determined later that it was Canada's fault?
You blame everything on America, so I guess I can blame everything on Canada. Seems
fair. Yes, I know I am in a nest of Canadians, but I love Canada and am fascinated by it.
The other day someone said something - "the royal we" - and I cracked up. If that were said in this country, no one would know how to take it. Funny.:lol:

Uncle

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I still have no recollection of it. Wasn't it determined later that it was Canada's fault?
You blame everything on America, so I guess I can blame everything on Canada. Seems
fair. Yes, I know I am in a nest of Canadians, but I love Canada and am fascinated by it.
The other day someone said something - "the royal we" - and I cracked up. If that were said in this country, no one would know how to take it. Funny.:lol:

Uncle

No. The Mayor in New York blamed Canada before the facts of the matter were brought to light. It was in fact a screw-up in the Cleveland plant that caused the Blackout.;-)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
mental note... turn down future invites for beer and barbeque at Lester's house.

Otherwise you may find yourself as part of his menu.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
while we're on this twisted subject, have you ever noticed how similar to marinade many women's bath products are? Cracking out the oil/salt rub always makes me giggle.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Anybody got a recipe for long pork?:)

Polonesian or continental? Hot sauce or sweet and sour? Brown or white? The list of considerations, like any fine cuisine, is endless. Humans are the most abundant available protien source on the planet, and easy to catch. Some up and coming psycopathic meat packer is going to take advantage of this, if it hasn't already been done. I mean what's really in pet food?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
hemm ,yes now that you've brought it to our attention. But what would entice you into a nice warm tub of red wine?

Oh, you wouldn't see that happening. Any woman with half a brain in her head will not crawl into a tub full of any sort of yeast containing product. 8O