Edmonton's weather, we got it...

barra

Nominee Member
Dec 28, 2013
Yeah they'll survive no problem.
Hope so the fallen snow is super heavy from dampness.

Coquitlam, New West, Surrey, Burnaby and Vancouver.

I haven't had to take any Vitamin D since I left. 96-97 was a bitch of a winter out there. -22C there feels like -60C here.

I'll take sunshine over mild any day.
Ah, I see. The weather in Those places is more inland other than Vancouver. My sis (nieces) and nephew live throughout the lower mainland and weather is quite varied compared to Sunshine Coast. Many times even raining there when nice here.

Mind you my husband worked near Rainy River (aptly named) and it rained so much there - ah poor guy. Now he is commuting to North Vancouver and again weather differences.

There are some palm trees growing here. Not that it means anything, they don't yield fruit, as well as Eucalyptus. As mentioned a banana belt of sorts.

Never mind Feb. We had snow in two separate years on Apr. 12 in the Courtenay/Campbell River area- that would have been back in the 70s.

I've also seen snow on May 24, near Williams Lake, so it's not all that unusual.

I remember another bitch in Feb. - probably 1989 or 90, wife's birthday is Feb 2 and in Parksville it snowed all bloody day and cold enough to freeze snot on a rail.

How did you enjoy minus 36C this morning, Petros? Son's working down around Estevan, it was a little balmier down there!

It snows in the East Kootenay's about 6 months of the year, with fringe weather on either side of that - Oct-April. This is the area where my husband was born and raised in a Rocky Mountain Valley. Snow melting takes longer as one can imagine. Heading up the Elk Valley to Elk Lakes - before a road was punched through - snowed July long weekend (can't remember exact year (maybe late 70's early 80's) Of course deep in Rockies will do that. But that was a freak snow, does not normally happen. But the snow line can start on mountains as early as late August early September. First day of school many times had frost.

But ah, so glad I live out here now.
-36 you all can have it and sunny skies. Way too cold for me. Brrrrrr....

I just shoveled a path out to the street.. A foot and a half wide and about two feet deep and seventy feet long.. It took an hour and a half. The snow was really heavy. I suspect it was rained on overnight. Shoveling the whole driveway might have taken me the whole day.

Wow, that is a long stretch! And it was heavy. Yes, that size would probably take a day. When in the Kootenay's we always had a snow blower.

Well did not get as much snow on ground as you and it was melting (although about 6 inches on ground). But heavy slush areas and snow was very heavy from the continual downfall. I finally realized it was not going to melt, so shovelled the whole drive after lunch. (about 30 x 50 and half on a bit of a hill). After 3:00 it really started with giant flakes and staying due to the cold, and dumped just as much if not more in a very short time.

Had to go out again and do it all over at 4:00. I have good shovels, so that helped. I have to do my upper balcony today to move the weight off. I am sure others who have real winter laugh at us. But....what can one do. Lots of new leaf on roses and bushes will suffer, which is unfortunate. ....I see some bushes have split in the middle due to weight of the snow.

My daughters birthday tomorrow - she is in Victoria and has to travel today because she works tomorrow - at the Golf Course...:) I think this is one of the rare days greens are closed.. Our friends from the Kootenay's arrive today....and you know we don't have the bevy of snow clearing equipment like other communities. Well better than it used to be I suppose. .

We will see what the weather brings today for this little saga...

Kids had fun though.....:)