Don't tell the Italians, but lasagna may actually be British

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Don't tell the Italians but lasagna may actually be a British invention....

Quite Interesting

24/02/2007

Is lasagna British? The creators of BBC television show QI (Quite Interesting) uncover the layers.

King Richard II

Lasagna: Was it invented in England and not Italy?

Lasagna was responsible for a diplomatic dispute between England and Italy.

In 2003, researchers studying the medieval cookbook The Forme of Cury in the British Museum found a recipe for a lasagna-style dish prepared by chefs for King Richard II in 1390.

The aptly-titled spokesman Maurice Bacon declared that lasagna was an English invention and defied "anyone to disprove it, because it appeared in the first cookery book ever written".

At first glance, Bacon's claim seemed unarguable. The dish, called "loyseyns", was pronounced "lasan" and consisted of flat pasta sheets separated by cheese sauce.

The Italian embassy in London immediately issued a denial, while patriotic Italian medieval historians mounted a defence by producing records from 1316 that mentioned a lasagna producer called Maria Borgogno. While both countries can claim to have invented lasagna, no one knows where it was first made. An alternative theory suggests the dish came from Ancient Greece, where it was named after lasanon ("chamber pot"). Other fingers point to Ancient Rome, where the phrase lasanon or lasanum meant "cooking pots".

Regardless of its provenance, lasagna has successfully established itself as one of the world's most popular dishes. In 2004, it replaced chicken tikka massala as Britain's favourite ready meal. Sainsbury's sold 13.9 million lasagnas, compared to 7.4 million chicken tikka massalas.

Lasagna is highly popular in the north-east African country of Eritrea. Residents of the former Italian colony make the dish with berbere, a hot spice mixture.

Australian chef Benjamin Christie has created one of the most exotic adaptations of the dish: kangaroo lasagna served with bush tomato chutney and lemon myrtle.

Florentine lasagna was selected as part of a special kosher space menu created for the first Israeli astronaut, Colonel Ilan Ramon, who later died in the Columbia space shuttle disaster of 2003.

The American armed forces cookbook has four recipes for lasagna. It includes a "standard" version plus lasagna with ground turkey, lasagna with canned pizza sauce and lasagna (frozen). While British cooks use flat pasta pieces in their lasagna, Americans use sheets that resemble corrugated iron. July is national "Lasagna Awareness Month" in the US.

The most important lasagna to have ever lived is the late Dr Lou Lasagna, considered to be one of the most important scientists of the 20th century. His groundbreaking work on how different people react to the placebo effect was cited by Richard Horton, editor of The Lancet, as one of the 27 most notable medical achievements in a list that started with Hippocrates.

Dr Lasagna, dubbed "Father of Clinical Pharmacology", also invented "The Oath of Lasagna", a contemporary version of the Hippocratic oath that is used in many American medical schools today.

Lasagna shouldn't be mentioned at North London's Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. A "dodgy" lasagna stood accused of costing the team £14 million after several players who had eaten the pie fell ill before a key match against East Londoners West Ham last year. The players were later found to have contracted norovirus, otherwise known as the "winter vomiting bug" before arriving at the hotel that served the lasagna.

Tottenham's malaise is not to be confused with "lasagna syndrome", which is a computer enthusiast's term for an infuriating excess of overlapping "browser windows" that makes a task almost impossible.

Leftover lasagna can become an electric battery. When the aluminium foil covering the lasagna touches a different metal - say the stainless-steel tray holding your lasagna - and a conductor (in this case the tomato sauce), the three materials create an electric current. This occurs because the stainless-steel tray is mostly made of iron. The iron's atoms hold on to their electrons more tightly than aluminium atoms hold on to theirs.

Given a chance, the tray's iron atoms "steal" electrons from the foil's aluminium atoms via the tomato sauce.

Lasagna contests measure weight rather than size. The largest recorded specimen weighed 8,188 lb, 8 oz - the same as a white rhino.

To order a copy of The Book of General Ignorance (Faber & Faber) for £9.99 (rrp £12.99) plus 99p p & p, call Telegraph Books on 0870 428 4112

Next week: QI on smells (www.qi.com)

telegraph.co.uk

Last edited:

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Quite interesting facts,I will ponder these well eating Lasagna next time, thank you

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
The Forme of Cury in the British Museum found a recipe for a lasagna-style dish prepared by chefs for King Richard II in 1390.

The Italian embassy in London immediately issued a denial, while patriotic Italian medieval historians mounted a defence by producing records from 1316 that mentioned a lasagna producer called Maria Borgogno.

Considering what makes or breaks a lasagna is the sauce, and considering the tomato is native to South America and wasn't introduced to Europe until the 16th century, it's just silly to argue over lasagna's origin using 14th century records. There are no limits to what can be construed as "lasagna-style".

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
lasagna is the name of the flat sheets of pasta. it was always my understanding that the dish was named after the pasta, rather than the other way round. Maybe the 14th century stuff was talking about the pasta rather than the dish?

anyway despite what you think, britain invented everything and is obviously the best.:D

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
lasagna is the name of the flat sheets of pasta. it was always my understanding that the dish was named after the pasta, rather than the other way round.

In Italian, yes. Here's another interesting article about the origins.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-las1.htm

I now know more about lasagna than I want to know.
Guess what i'm having for lunch after getting involved in this thread? :)

Yup, bangers and mash!! :smilebox:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Considering what makes or breaks a lasagna is the sauce, and considering the tomato is native to South America and wasn't introduced to Europe until the 16th century, it's just silly to argue over lasagna's origin using 14th century records. There are no limits to what can be construed as "lasagna-style".
LOL Yeah.Meat, cheese, noodles, and sauce. Is there a theme here? Chicken carbonara, fettuccine, spaghetti, chow mein, linguini, etc. Is there another British dish that uses pasta/meat/cheese/sauce?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
There's an ancient traditional lincolnshire dish called "whoopsie" which is made purely of fettucini, beef, lincolnshire blue cheese and a parsley sauce. Traditionally, if eaten on a thursday it helps you to swim faster.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Frankly its all good and I don't care who invented it but whoever he/she is has my thanks, look at spaghetti it came from China. No matter how we look at pasta the recipies we use in no way resembles they way the Italians eat their pasta.

All I can say is yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Frankly its all good and I don't care who invented it but whoever he/she is has my thanks, look at spaghetti it came from China. No matter how we look at pasta the recipies we use in no way resembles they way the Italians eat their pasta.

All I can say is yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Quite right. Each region's dishes are unique to that region. Besides, it seems more important to me that the Etruscans and Chinese were using noodles 3 or 4 thousand years before christ and everone else has been modifying the noodle dishes to suit their own tastes since.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I always thought Lasagna was born out of a mechanical breakdown ....

... the pasta cutter broke and they had to serve up large scale flat noodles....