Do you hear your Canadian accent?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Do you hear your Canadian accent?​

Many Canadians don't realize they speak any different than Americans (general american) but the Canadian accent is actually fairly pronounced. Words like "out" "about" come out sort of like oat and aboat because of "Canadian Raising". There are other giveaway words like "sorry" and "bagel" ect that expose the accent and a bit of a different intonation too. Do you notice?

I was oblivious to this at first but the more I started to listen to it the more I could hear it.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
In my 68 years, I have never heard Aboot, except when Americans are making fun of our so called accents........Now, that broken French the Quebecers and New Brunswickers speak, not to mention the Newfanese is another story

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
In my 68 years, I have never heard Aboot, except when Americans are making fun of our so called accents........Now, that broken French the Quebecers and New Brunswickers speak, not to mention the Newfanese is another story
Only person I recall pronouncing it aboot was a scotchman.

I think it depends where in the continent you are. All the west coast speaks pretty much the same but easterners are often quite different.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
My wife thinks I have an accent, but she comes from Germany so her opinion is not really relevant. She also says most of that were born on the coast tend to speak in dialect which is probably closer to the truth.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

Do you hear your Canadian accent?​

Many Canadians don't realize they speak any different than Americans (general american) but the Canadian accent is actually fairly pronounced. Words like "out" "about" come out sort of like oat and aboat because of "Canadian Raising". There are other giveaway words like "sorry" and "bagel" ect that expose the accent and a bit of a different intonation too. Do you notice?

I was oblivious to this at first but the more I started to listen to it the more I could hear it.
no eh? 🇨🇦 ;)

Reactions: B00Mer

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
My country has more accents than any other on the world.

We can travel in a car for 30 minutes down the road and be in a place with different accents. Despite speaking the same language someone from one part of the country can struggle to understand someone from another.