Do we need this language law?

I'm a resident of Ontario and I would

• suport the law proposed here, or some similar law.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • oppose this or any similar law.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other answer

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

einmensch

Electoral Member
Mar 1, 2008
Well guy --it took 5 years of foreign language to Graduate in Ontario and two three hour written exams in Ontario. Time for second language to be Mandarin ,Hindi--
Problem How often do you think (German) immigrants speak German--except inside house quack? And then the wife /husband don't speak German--no one speaks German
French-English in Canada is a yes
If one does not use the language ,what is the point?
Takes a long time to really learn a language --Kindergarten would be a good time to start but $$ are needed to find Osama more
English is not my first language

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
And giving schools the freedom to choose which second language to choose could help increase, not decrease, the rate of bilingualism in Ontario. THis way, schools can take advantage of co-operation with their pupils' parents to exploit the home language in the classroom.

The problem with allowing individual schools to pick and choose the languages of choice is that special interest groups start to get involved and soon you have little UN groups in each municipalities.. Then gangs wars break out between each schools..

If all schools much have set guidelines it makes it much easier.. That said, the more kids have options the better.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The problem with allowing individual schools to pick and choose the languages of choice is that special interest groups start to get involved and soon you have little UN groups in each municipalities.. Then gangs wars break out between each schools..

If all schools much have set guidelines it makes it much easier.. That said, the more kids have options the better.

You're kidding, right?

In England, schools are free to teach the second language of their choice as long as their course plan is approved by the local education authority based on pedagogical standards.

US schools have a similar freedom.

In Hungary, pupils can choose to be tested in 20 different languages. In Poland, 4; in Italy a few languages too.

In British Columbia, schools can choose between French, Spanish, German, Russian, Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese.

In Alberta they can choose between French, Blackfoot, Cree, Chinese, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, and Ukrainian.

We're not looking at civil war in any of those places now, are we?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
You're kidding, right?

No I am not..

In England, schools are free to teach the second language of their choice as long as their course plan is approved by the local education authority based on pedagogical standards.

My ex went to school in Kent England and told me of course English and French were Mandatory in her school district. A third selective course she took, German, was optional.

US schools have a similar freedom.

There is no Language in the US Constitution.. School can pick, but please show me schools that do not teach English and Spanish as primary languages ?

In Hungary, pupils can choose to be tested in 20 different languages. In Poland, 4; in Italy a few languages too.

Hence why I say Canada lags behind and our kids should learn as much as possible. But when you give selective groups the option of two you will have a battle between groups all the time.

In British Columbia, schools can choose between French, Spanish, German, Russian, Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese.

Of course you can but as my daughter just finished BC Spanish Grade 11 and cannot even speak a word of it, tell me what use it it to her? She know more Japanese self taught then Spanish...

In Alberta they can choose between French, Blackfoot, Cree, Chinese, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, and Ukrainian.

I have no idea about Alberta so no comment..

We're not looking at civil war in any of those places now, are we?

I am speaking from my youth experience and knowledge of my kids school. Yes we have that at present and would be better off if the school had set bilingual languages with an elective 3rd language per district. Right now schools are competitive enough without adding more fuel to the fire.

tipseynipsey

Time Out
May 11, 2009
i think it's a great idea to try to get all students to be able to speak two languages, regardless of what the second language is, my only problem with it is there are people in schools at all different levels, so to impose a standard for everyone would be unfair to say the least... and it wouldnt be fair to force only a certain group to do it either because then it's not fair to them that they are being set apart and forced into something they dont necessarily want to do

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I think the failure of people to learn the second language even though they took it in school is indicative of their failure to use it. That is why immersion programs work so well, it forces people to use the language.

Anyways, knowing a second language is still a useful skill in this world. There are good reasons to desire a population that can converse in multiple languages.