Dinning Alone

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Chicken Tikka Masala

Definition : chicken tikka masala , n. • mild curry dish of chicken in a tomato-based sauce, cooked tandoori style (in a charcoal-fired oven). Optional hefty dose of tartrazine lends luminescent orange glow. (As described by BBC)
Chicken tikka masala has a truly postcolonial history, produced when one of the world's greatest cuisines found itself confronted by a British palette unused to anything spicier than table salt. Legend has it one obstinate diner demanded gravy on tandoori chicken. A bemused chef responded by adding tin of Campbell's tomato soup and pinch of spices, unwittingly partaking in early example of fusion cookery.

" Chicken Tikka Massala is now a true British national dish, not only because it is the most popular, but because it is a perfect illustration of the way Britain absorbs and adapts external influences. Chicken Tikka is an Indian dish. The Massala sauce was added to satisfy the desire of British people to have their meat served in gravy. "

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
All my curry and curry like dishes for chicken are the same.

In a skillet with 2 tbsp of oil cook required amount of bite sized diced boneless skinless chicken breasts until turns white. Add 1/3 cup of plain yogurt and 4 tbsp of curry sauce (Tandoori, Masala, Butter-chicken) stir well, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with Basmati rice (I stir in dried cranberries before serving) and whatever veggie you like.

Yogurt and curry paste mix can also be used as a marinade. Prick same chicken pieces all over and marinade for 6 hrs to overnight. Chicken may then be baked, grilled or broiled.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
All my curry and curry like dishes for chicken are the same.

In a skillet with 2 tbsp of oil cook required amount of bite sized diced boneless skinless chicken breasts until turns white. Add 1/3 cup of plain yogurt and 4 tbsp of curry sauce (Tandoori, Masala, Butter-chicken) stir well, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with Basmati rice (I stir in dried cranberries before serving) and whatever veggie you like.

Yogurt and curry paste mix can also be used as a marinade. Prick same chicken pieces all over and marinade for 6 hrs to overnight. Chicken may then be baked, grilled or broiled.

DELISH! I like to add a little Tammerine to the rice water to flavour the rice. And if you heat the spices a little in the pan before you place the chicken in, it will bring more flavour to the meat. We love peas in with the curry but I haven't tried cranberries. I'm going to give them a go next time I make it.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I put cranberries in my rice not the chicken curry dish. I have put them in rice with curry powder added. I always use veggie stock for my rice. Chicken stock if I'm having chicken. No one carries a fish stock. Beef, chicken and vegetable but no fish. I'm assuming it does not keep no matter how much salt you put in it. I buy a organic stock. They have the least amount of salt per serving. The chicken stock is actually named free range organic. Again I'm more interested in the lower sodium. 15% as opposed to 25% per serving. I used to use the powder stocks but salt is way up. Add to much veggie stock powder and your rice tatse too salty. A dash of black peper goes a long way in a rice dish. I put peas in my rissotto rice dishes.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Here's a simple and tasty soup that I had tonight:

1 pork chop

1 can of Campbell's French onion soup

3/4 cup of white cooking wine

...............................................................................................

Boil water.

Add pork chop and give it a good boil for 30-40 minutes (low-medium heat)

Reduce heat to low and add soup for about 10 minutes

Add cooking wine for about another 5 minutes

I added three slices of American cheese to my soup and it was a delight!

:)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Gopher goes hunting for food again: