Dinning Alone

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I was just informed on the phone that my sweet soulmate is feeling a bit better. And when his friend whispered in his ear my secret word to him she said he BEAMED!! Its going to take a very long time BUT he will be ok. My Dearest Godess and God are looking after us. They know Im not the shining star that Im capable of being without him in my life. Hes my very best friend and the truest Love in my heart.

Im going to sort the bills and see if I have enough for a pint, a bit of a treat twice in one week :) But this deserves a celibration.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
And I did :) Me and my friend (in spirit) and Rae Beth (my newest book on English Wiccan Priestess training) I splurged and ordered Bri's fav seasoned fries LOL Im gonna look like a house with this depression. But it reminded me of when I did have a stove and it was just me and the kids. Critter LOVED my homemade fries. Id double fry them......their crunchy on the outside soft on the inside. Id deep fry then id season them then dip them again and season once again. Definately NOT diet food but the kids adored them with ranch dressing lol yum

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I FOUND IT!!!

Yules coming and on the 17th our circle gathers, this is my fav party food. My sis made it up for my diabetic nephew.

This ones from Kim can be chand to low cal and low fat and OMG YUMMY!!!

Hi Tam!

Here's the recipe:

16 oz Cool Whip
32 oz Vanilla Yogurt
2 pkgs French Vanilla Instant Pudding
1 can Tropical Fruit Salad
1 can Mandarin Oranges
1 can chunk pineapple
drain canned fruits well.
you can also add red or green grapes....any fruits you want.
Whisk together yogurt, pudding then fold into cool whip; fold in the drained fruit along with the grapes. Mix well to incorporate everything.
Top w/ cool whip and place any additional fruit on top for a garnish.

I use low fat/ no fat and diabetic no sugar ingrediants. Fruit is fresh or drained so its healthy too.

Last edited:

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Here's one for ya Self:

Buy half a Salmon and mix equal parts of brown sugar, lemon and butter melt and stir and then slather on salmon and bake in the oven for twelve minutes. You will have a piece of salmon that is moist tasty with a hint of the flavor of brown sugar and you can chop it into pieces and freeze it for a later date. Bake on 350. You won't believe how this, I think it's called braise, makes the salmon taste. Yummy and I don't like Salmon.

Im headed out to the store.....guess whats dinner?! ;) Gonzo this ones easy peasy give it a try :)

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
OH MY GODDESS!!!!! This is FAB!!!!!! Sassy it is the most amazing taste! Sweet and savory! I took the juice and dipped it with a cranberry/nut loaf I had bought yesterday. I broiled it (like garlic toast) YUMMMMMMMM

THANK YOU for sharing! this ones a keeper in my cookbook. :)

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I just made the venus de milo soup in the crock. If your cooking it in the crock DONT add the Orzo til Id say about 30 minutes from the end. It basically thickens if you put it all together at the beginning. Live and Learn eh?

Oh and Sis suggested a new hard candy thats put out for the holidays creme savers they have apple pie alamode, strawberry cheesecake and cinnamon bun.......not badand only about 15 calories per peice

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I dine alone most of the time. Never was one for cooking before, used to go out to restaurants 7 days a week for 2 meals. Am single and well employed so money not an issue. After heart attack was forced to adopt low fat/no salt added diet. The hard part is paring down most available recipes to feed one person. Dividing every thing by 4 is not quite the same. Substituting low fat marg, low fat/cholesterol egg product, and low fat or skim milk products for butter, egg and cream is difficult too. Am really getting into trying at least. Just dropped 1500$ CDN on new cookware, plates and utensils and small appliances. Had to go out a buy a pantry as my cupboards are full. Also had to buy a second fridge and freezer to fit all my meats in. My freezer is full of , well you name it. Scallops (huge mother scallops), shrimps, fish (sole, polloock, salmon (Pacific and Atlantic), rainbow trout (caught by me from my fishing club), steaks (mostly tenderloin (going low fat and watching portions might as well get the best), pork loins, ham steaks, skinless boneless chicken breasts legs and tenders, Alaskan crab legs, lobster claws and tails. Never really been a veggie fan. Carrots, peas, corn and cauliflower is about it. Bought a steamer, mmmm steamed cauliflower. I do and awesome braised carrots in a honey garlic sauce (VH brand). Took me a while to come up with a rice recipe I liked to substitute for potatoes all the time. I do a mean indirectly grilled Cornish game hen on my barrel smoker I bought. Chicken breasts in S&B Cajun sauteed with minimal canola oil is awesome. Looks burnt cajun style and is juicy and spicy. All this within 7 months. My friends are amazed at the transformation and some look forward to invites to supper as opposed to going out to eat. I even inspired a couple of buddies wives to try eggs benedist and my cajun chicken. Always was a chocoholic but now chocolate is off list. I found a 98% fat free chocolate ice cream but it has .1 g of trans fat and so I eat sparingly. Have just tried no fat yogurt with fruit in my food processor. That works well and now forms the most part of my lunch at work.

Like I said all this within 7 months. For those who do not currently cook, it's easy. Get a couple of timers and have everything ready (mise en place (?)) before you start. The Joy of Cooking is indispensible. If you don't have one get one, it rules.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Your freezer sounds devine! Dinning alone is a real art but I must admit a table for two and a easy movie can make for a very sweet evening. I Love fishing myself but I havent found a place to go yet. Its my goal for next summer. I found the greatest camping spot, extremely secluded but no fishing. :( I'll keep looking. Dont be a stranger Id love to hear some of your recipes. :)

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Richmond
  • Bryan Park is located at Bellevue Avenue and Hermitage Road. It features Young’s Pond (Upper & Lower) and is recommended for fishing with children.
  • Byrd Park is located at Boulevard and Idelwood Avenue. It features 3 lakes (Shield’s, Swan & Fountain) containing numerous fish species, including largemouth bass, bluegill, sunfish and channel catfish. It is stocked regularly and provides excellent family fishing.
  • Dorey Park Lake is a 5 acre lake with catfish, largemouth bass, bluegill, redear and an occasional crappie.
  • Great Shiplock Park is located at Canal and Pear Streets. It features great river fishing off Chapel Island during the spring migration period. Anglers can expect to find white perch, shad, herring, rockfish and catfish.
  • James River Park is Richmond’s largest park and its most diverse. It includes over 550 acres of
    </IMG>shoreline and islands in the heart of the city. The park offers spectacular fishing, kayaking, hiking, and bird-watching. A mixture of roaring rapids, deep pools, and calm flat water create excellent fishing opportunities for all anglers. The Mayo (14th Street Bridge) is a great location for shad fishing and Ancarrow's Landing offers riverbank fishing which is ideal for families.
  • Pocahontas State Park's Swift Creek Lake and Beaver Lake
  • Upper James River
Pan fish such as bluegill and crappie are very tasty. Called panfish because they go in a frying pan nicely. Bas are best for catch and release as they are kinda bony. Watch for parasites in belly meat of bass during warm months. Shad roe is a delicacy. I wonder what kind of seasonal run fish come into James River system from Atlantic. Asian folk swear ny carp. Catfish done cajun style blackened in a cast iron skillet is gourmet.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Arent you an ANGEL!!! Ive been here 4 years and still havent found a way down to the river LOL i live only two miles away!!!

We used to catck shad by the netfuls as a kid, in fact the place was called Shad Factory. As for catfish.......not my cup of tea. I will check out how to get to these spots. Have you fished the James?

Wait, Byrd island? I volunteered there for folkfest! Had no clue I could fish there!!

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Try S&B Cajun mix with boneless skinless chicken breast sauteed in skillet with minimal canola oil. S&B sacrifices itself to protect meat inside. Looks black and burnt but taste divine. Looks real cajun blackened. 5 minutes per side. Yuummmmmyyyyy

Quick spicy rice. 1/2 cup 5 minute converted rice, 1/2 cup veggie stock, 1/2 tsp of curry powder, 1/4 cup of raisins or currants, s&p to taste, 2.5 min in nuker on high, stir in 1 tbsp of marg, sit for 2.5 mins and toss. If no nuker go with stovetop directions. Probably works with real rice. I just haven't got time or patient most times to cook rice.

I have had good luck with Knorr's Bearnaise and Hollandaise sauces too. Adapt well to low fat marg and 1% milk. Bearnaise sauce goes well with peppercorn steaks.

Homemade mayo: 125ml of canola oil, 1 egg, 1 tbsp of dijon, 1 tbsp of lemon juice, 1 tbsp of dill
Mix with canned salmon and fry up as burgers.

Simple pan sauce: apres sauteeing any meat or fish, add 1 tbsp of chopped shallots, fry till brown and soft, add 1/2 cup of wine (red for meat, white for fish or chicken), reduce by half, add 1/2 cup of stock (beef or chicken) or more wine, reduce by half again, strain and serve with food.

Always let your meat and chicken rest 10 minutes before serving. Lets juices cool and soak back into food.

The individual vacuum wrapped marinated pork loins are great pounded down to 1/2 inch with large mallet between 2 sheet of wax aper/parchment or plastic wrap (shopping bags work too), coat in flour and sautee for max 3 minutes per side.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I have never been to Virginia. Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan and Tennessee only places in states I have been. I just googled fishing, richmond, virginia. Fishing is great way to get organic foods for nothing. Watch for restrictions on eating fish from rivers in urban areas. Small children and pregnant women may want to avoid.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
WOW Im totally impressed!!! Ive stayed away from curry's they kinda scare me lol but my bro in law does really well with them. Ill have to take the plunge and try it. Your rice recipe sounds great!!!

I use low fat, no sugar ect types of ingrediants plus fresh veggies. I adore spinach salads with rasberry dressings.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I have never been to Virginia. Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan and Tennessee only places in states I have been. I just googled fishing, richmond, virginia. Fishing is great way to get organic foods for nothing. Watch for restrictions on eating fish from rivers in urban areas. Small children and pregnant women may want to avoid.

May I strongly suggest our fair state on your next vacation. It is in my estimation heaven on earth. But remember Im a bit prejudice ;)

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Sorry my vacations are taken as far north as I can get at the time. Friends have a lodge north of Sudbury. We ride our motorcycles there with others following in vehicles with all our stuff. A stop in Sudbury for a night of drunken debauchery at the local nudey bar and then in to the woods for a week or two. With no roads, phones or TV, it is heaven on earth. You may see a boat or two and a bush plane may overfly but that is all. Not that we rough it much as over the years we have gone from a shack for cooking in and tents to sleep in to 3 cabins that sleep 16 with solar power and hot water and a sauna. We spend all our time fishing, drinking, playing poker and eating very very well. I have taken over job as cook. I will never have to wash another dish in my life as long as I can turn out eggs benedict, peppercorn tenderloin with bearnaise sauce and clam chowder in the middle of nowhere. Will keep it in mind though. May have to get a passport before long just to cross the longest undefended border in the world.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
LOLLLLLLLLLLL Sounds TOTALLY fun!!!!! I miss the harley days, Im having trouble finding a ride around the corner now a days! As for the nudey bar.....well lets just say I know the girls LOL My last camping trip was a spirit quest 2 miles in the Backcountry, 5 days no food and no fire, plenty of water and beautiful camera shots. I LOVE taking pictures. Before that trip I was 35 days in England, 4 days on a friends yacht on the southern coast (Portsmouth, Cowes) Ive never felt so at ease in all my life. I love nature, I have all my life. Its amazing how your heart swells at the sight of a full moon or even fireflies lol......Im sure I'm boring you........Id never leave Canada if I were you.......your life sounds perfect......Im jealous :)

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Sorry made mistake on Mayo recipe I said "Homemade mayo: 125ml of canola oil, 1 egg, 1 tbsp of dijon, 1 tbsp of lemon juice, 1 tbsp of dill"
Should read 125ml of canola, 1/2 egg, 1/2 tbsp of vinegar, 1/2 tsp Dijon, 1 tbsp dill (optional), pinch of sugar and salt
The mixing is the key part. In blender oil needs to be slowly added in slow stream, I use a long bar mixer and whip up quick all at once, the mixer instruction is where I got the recipe. Bought the mixer at Zellers for 15$CDN. Don't think Zellers is in the US. Lowend Walmart stuff. It's the long thin hand held blender thingy.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Not perfect, not by far. I just survived a heart attack in April. Lucky I live 2 blocks away from one of the best hospitals in NA. My bypass surgery was done at the University of Western Ontario hospital, here in London, which is one of the premier cardiac hospitals in the world. I lost my mum to heart attack when she was 46, my younger brother at 38, my dad at 64 (still to early). Our plant is due to close in 2008 and I will be out of work. Not fun to out of work in mid-40's. I got lots of medication bills now. In Canada the hospital stay and surgery is free but the prescriptions are costly. I am hoping to go to UWO for engineering if I can get in as a mature student. With buyout package from work, company help with school supplies for 4 years and the equity I have in my home I am hoping it is feasible. I also got fallen arches in my poor aching feet, heavy damage between 6th and 5th vertebrate on right side (right arm tires very very easy plus the high cholesterol. I got the arteries of a 68 yr old. I got a quad bypass but figure a stroke is liable to get me before I make retirement age. I need to stay on bicycle, eat smart and keep taking cholesterol meds for life. Work sucks I don't like or trust those who suppose themselves to be my bosses. I work for a multinational chemical company based in the US and I want it and it's so called leadership out of my community for environmental reasons. My motorcycle needs 1500$ worth of new cam shafts and rocker arms. My house tax assessment went up 20,000 dollasr with a big rise in my taxes. I figure to raise asking price by 25000$ because of. I am going to sell my house and buy one near school and rent out rooms to students to make ends meet. Whole lotta stress in my life. I am on call at work 24/7 and work really screwed up hours. Have thought about chucking it all in and moving north to be a fishing guide for minimum wage and get UI during winter months.