Dinning Alone

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
OK NOW Im hungry! LOL Im watching a program on Gilroy Calif. Garlic capital of the world! YUM!!! I think I'll have shrimp tonight lightly sauted in fresh garlic and basil in butter mmmmmm mmmmmmm GOOD!

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Well it took 3 hours to finish lunch LOL I made a nice plate of veggies and salmon. My wee Scottish friend in England got me stuck on it LOL I think I'll skip dinner. I started my new site and I'll develope it more tomorrow. Im really excited about it and hope it takes off the way I intend it to. It'll keep my mind busy if nothing else.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Hi Nikki,

I pulled this off a frano-american womans institute

http://www.fawi.net/

it sounded delicious

[SIZE=+2]Memere/maman's recipe for tourtiere:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1](pronounced as you like, but it can be touchay for those who are in a big hurry like me...)[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]1 beef roast[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]1 pork roast[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]of equal poundage, I buy approximately 6 to 8 lbs. of meat each, with more pounds in beef slightly[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]10 to 12 potatoes in proportion to the meat[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]3 or 4 medium onions[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]salt/pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]nutmeg[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]cook roasts together till done[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]peel and cook potatoes, and make tasty mashed potatoes with margarine, (or butter, or sour creme, or my latest, crême fraiche sent to me from a new-found Franco women in California who markets this traditional condiment from Western France,) salt and pepper to taste as well.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Ground up the cooled roasts with onions added to the grinding process using either a food processor or hand-crank grinder. The consistency is not too fine, but not too coarse either.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Mix the meat and potato mixture together in a large pan, adding a dash of nutmeg and salt/pepper to taste.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]You can then bag and freeze this for up to 6 months.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Also you can make a tourtière/tourtiere immediately to taste your wares.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]This makes enough for up to 6 or 7 pies. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Tourtière requires a two-crust pie, top and bottom. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how long it takes for crust to brown. Serve with green tomato ketchup or for breakfast the morning after with a sunnyside egg on top.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]C'est'assez bon! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]This is so Good![/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1](literal translation: this is enough good!)[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Green tommy ketchup?...ah I remember it being in the shops here for a couple of months.

otherwise, ur making my mouth water!!!. :)

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
That sounds good. Here is the one I found.

Tourtiere

1 lb Lean ground Pork
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 onion (diced)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1/4 tsp ground sage
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 recipie pastry for a 9 inch double crust.

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 C)
In a saucepan, combine pork, beef, onion, garlic, water, salt, thyme, sage, black pepper and cloves. cooke over med heat until mixture boils; stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer until meat is cooked, about 5 mins.
Spoon the meat mixture into the pie crust. Place top crust on top of pie an dpinch edges to seal. Cut slits in top of crust to steam can escape. Cover edges of pie with stripes of aluminum foil.
Bake in oven for 20 minutes, remove foil and return to oven. bake for an addition 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool 10 min.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Man i cant belive I didnt see this thread before. :smilebox:

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I LOVE having company for dinner! LOL I dont have a stove but when I get the chance (once a year) I cook at my sisters. Its soooooo fun cooking for Irishmen LOL My bro in law will go nuts over this one!! Im glad you found us ok. I think Daz was getting lonely LOL

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
I LOVE having company for dinner! LOL I dont have a stove but when I get the chance (once a year) I cook at my sisters. Its soooooo fun cooking for Irishmen LOL My bro in law will go nuts over this one!! Im glad you found us ok. I think Daz was getting lonely LOL

OMG!!!! You don't have a stove!??? I couldn't live without a stove. I love cooking!!!!

Next week I am going over to my mom's house to do all her christmas baking. :smilebox: And I can't wait... Yest I am a dork but I don't care.

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
Your too cute!!! LOL I love cooking too, I just had to get creative ;) I doo that well! Check out my oatmeal cookie recipe its the BOMB! great dunkers ;)

I did see it there. I think well I am bored at work tomorrow I might go through a bunch of these threads. :smilebox:

I can be creative but I don't know if I can be that creative. I can't live without my stove lol.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Its just me here and a hotplate, toasteroven and my crock do very well. I catch good sales and at 242 lbs Im not starving LOL I do eat fairly healthy and Im at an altime personal low (used to be 333) Lifes good when you look forward to your own cooking :)

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I wish I could cook. My girlfriend is an excellent cook though. I survive on K-D and chicken. Thank God for my girlfriend. I do the dishes, she cooks. It's win, win.

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
Its just me here and a hotplate, toasteroven and my crock do very well. I catch good sales and at 242 lbs Im not starving LOL I do eat fairly healthy and Im at an altime personal low (used to be 333) Lifes good when you look forward to your own cooking :)

Crock pots are an awsome invention :). Roasts are so good cooked slowly all day long.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I wish I could cook. My girlfriend is an excellent cook though. I survive on K-D and chicken. Thank God for my girlfriend. I do the dishes, she cooks. It's win, win.

Awww that is win-win :) Would you like to surprise her for Yule? try that cranberry relish all you have to do is pulverize it in the food processer.......very guy food ;)

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Crock pots are an awsome invention :). Roasts are so good cooked slowly all day long.

I do miss making my teriaki jerky at Yule. Critter would find it before I packaged it LOL Id always had to make 3 batches. That and choclate covered cherries LOL hand rolled! Turkey would devour them!

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
On friday nights if Ive managed to squirel away 5 bucks I go to the local pub for a guiness. I managed this week ;) and if Im lucky I'll find some good conversation and a kind heart. If not I get a few chapters read in my latest book LOL Talk to ya later ;)

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Here's one for ya Self:

Buy half a Salmon and mix equal parts of brown sugar, lemon and butter melt and stir and then slather on salmon and bake in the oven for twelve minutes. You will have a piece of salmon that is moist tasty with a hint of the flavor of brown sugar and you can chop it into pieces and freeze it for a later date. Bake on 350. You won't believe how this, I think it's called braise, makes the salmon taste. Yummy and I don't like Salmon.