3 Tbs. flour
2 cups water
1 cup milk (can be lowfat),
at room temperature
Black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup sour cream
(can be reduced-fat variety)
Finely minced fresh parsley, for the top

1. Melt the butter in a kettle or Dutch oven. Add onions, and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt, dill, and paprika. Stir well and cover. Let cook for about 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon juice.

2. Gradually sprinkle in the flour, stirring constantly. Cook and stir another 5 minutes or so over medium-low heat. Add water, cover, and cook about 10 minutes, stirring often.

3. Stir in milk; add black pepper to taste. Check to see if it needs more salt. Whisk in the sour cream, and heat very gently. Don't boil or cook it after this point. Serve hot, topped with freshly minced parsley.

This one

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Mushroom Barley and Beef Soup

1 T. canola oil
8 oz. extra lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 each, carrot and celery stalk, chopped (I usually use two each)
1 T. fresh, or 1 t. dried, thyme
2 T. tomatoe paste
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1/4 t. each salt and pepper
4 c. beef broth ( I use the low fat, low sodium)
3 c. water
1/2 c. barley
1 bay leaf
1 can (540 ml) black beans drained and rinsed

1. In a large deep pot, heat oil on medium-high heat. Cook beef til no longer pink. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and onion. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, carrots, celery and thyme. Cook for 15 minutes or until liquid has evaporated from the mushrooms.

2. Add tomatoe paste, vinegar, salt and pepper; stir to coat vegetables. Add stock, water, barley and bay leaf. Bring to boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until barley is tender. Add beans and heat through. Remove bay leaf.

And enjoy.

My mother has been on a low GI diet now for quite some time. This soup is wicked. She always makes this in anticipation of my visits.

Damn server, post allready!

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I know its still acting up :(

I love soups Theres nothing better to feel Loved. I make all different kinds but my personal favorite is split pea and cream clam chowder. I cant properly make the clam chowder here but I LOVE making it. I think the act of chopping nd prepairing is a mantra in of itself.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
The soup doesnt keep for long because of the dairy element. But I think we've frozen it before. Not sure if it gets any better over time. careful cos when it goes off it smells like the devils arse

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Im experimenting with a quick onion soup

One package onion soup mix 3 cups water
1 onions sliced
2 Tbs butter
shredded Motzorella
artisan bread heal is best

brown onions make soup in same pan after they are brown

pour into oven safe bowl
put bread in then cheese and broil til brown

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Im experimenting with a quick onion soup

One package onion soup mix 3 cups water
1 onions sliced
2 Tbs butter
shredded Motzorella
artisan bread heal is best

brown onions make soup in same pan after they are brown

pour into oven safe bowl
put bread in then cheese and broil til brown

That sounds good, I'm going to try it.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
It smells real good too.I thout all riests had houshold staff......no?

Not here. I prefer to do my own cooking. There is a lady that comes in once a week to clean.....but she complains because I am a neat freak and she thinks I leave her little to do...

Household staff, sheesh, those were the days..most parishes can barely afford to pay the priests, let alone much else...The world has changed, my friend.

There are allot of volunteers of course, mostly for upkeep and yard work.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I was in a cooking mood yesterday, besides, had some friends coming over, so I made pork steaks and stewed mushrooms with sour-cream and cheese. It was all so delicious.... What a pity I am so seldom in a cooking mood! :smile:

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Missed you Thursday and Friday......hope your ok. Ive got a major migrain today and the girls didnt bother calling today. Im not needed anymore and I dont need the drama so I guess its best they didnt call.

What do you do for your migraines, Self? I get them, too, about once in two months. The pain is just terrible, and pain-relievers help very little.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Missed you Thursday and Friday......hope your ok. Ive got a major migrain today and the girls didnt bother calling today. Im not needed anymore and I dont need the drama so I guess its best they didnt call.

I hope you'll be here tomorrow, I miss you on the weekends.

Bless

I had Thurs and Fri off work due to hours already worked and Good Friday. Have 10 days off next week. Let ya know ahead of time. Been at the other place a lot. Nothing you did. Some homophobic bigots here I'm trying not to deal with. My bro came "out" this weekend. He was actually outed by a radio station. He's cool with it. Thought it sort of funny. But he called me to tell me. We had a laugh. Anyone posts homophobic remarks is going to get it with both barrels from me. No hiding behind medieval ignorance, or religion.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
What do you do for your migraines, Self? I get them, too, about once in two months. The pain is just terrible, and pain-relievers help very little.

First I try choc milk.....Im allergic to it (usually gives me a migrain BUT if I have one it takes it away.....stange I know. If that doesnt work then I have Imatrex.....high dose migrain pills.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I had Thurs and Fri off work due to hours already worked and Good Friday. Have 10 days off next week. Let ya know ahead of time. Been at the other place a lot. Nothing you did. Some homophobic bigots here I'm trying not to deal with. My bro came "out" this weekend. He was actually outed by a radio station. He's cool with it. Thought it sort of funny. But he called me to tell me. We had a laugh. Anyone posts homophobic remarks is going to get it with both barrels from me. No hiding behind medieval ignorance, or religion.

Im glad your brother is out, to be totally honest its less stress on him and you. Im pretty sure Ive told the story of my friend Bruce......bless him.Life gets very complicated when you hide things. I will ask Pan to guide his way and protect him and you from people who are ignorant.

10 days!? *sigh* What am I to do? 4 was too long. :(