Dinning Alone

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I started two crocks of venus de milo soup and im gonna have a grapefruit. The smudge smells so good......I make my own blend of local redcedar, sweetgrass, dessert sage (my friend in cali keeps me in supply) and virginian tabacco. It smells heavenly and reminds me of past lives in tipi's

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
"Let the waters settle
you will see stars and moon
mirrored in your Being."

-- Rumi

I made two crocks of venus de milo soup. I bet theres enough here for all of CanCon LOL I'll freeze some. But the housee smells of soup and smudge and candles. Its a peaceful Saturday and Ive got company coming later. I got to clean house lol

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
PRAISE THE GODDESS AND THE GODS!!!!!!
My soulmate soon will beat the odds!

His heart did fail but not his soul.
Babysteps will bring him back to me whole!

My thanks to Fae and my Love to Pan,
Your blessings on thisbrilliant man.

My unending faith in you I give,
His undying will to live.

A smile I bear, a tear I weep,
My heart is your my soul to keep.

My friend that had the stoke is making progress Ive been told :) Its a long road but he's making the long road back with babystep! :)

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Caramel Custard

This easy-to-make pudding is popular all over India but made especially well by the Parsis, Mangaloreans (both from Western India) and the Anglo-Indians. It can be steamed in a pressure cooker or baked in the oven.
INGREDIENTS:

• 4 cups full cream milk (approx 1 liter)
  • 7 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
PREPARATION:

• Prepare a mould/ pudding cups/ ramekin cups for the custard by greasing very lightly with butter.
  • Heat 1/2 cup of sugar with 1 tsp of water in a pan till it melts and turns golden brown. Pour this caramelised sugar into the pudding mould/ pudding cups/ ramekin cups and swirl to coat the sides of the mould.
  • Keep aside to cool.
  • If baking, preheat your oven now to 350 F/ 180 C/ Gas Mark 4.
  • Mix the eggs and remaining sugar together in a large bowl and blend till all the sugar has dissolved. Now add the milk, vanilla essence and nutmeg and blend again.
  • Pour this mixture into the mould/ pudding cups/ ramekin cups you are using, to fill them 3/4 of the way to the top.
  • If baking: Place the mould/ pudding cups/ ramekin cups in a large, deep baking pan. Pour hot water into the baking pan till it is about 1" below the rim of the moulds.
  • If steaming in a pressure cooker: It is advisable to use one mould in this case. Place the mould in the pressure cooker - elevate the mould with a pressure cooker ring (or overturned flat-bottomed metal bowl). Pour water very carefully into the pressure cooker till it is about 2" below the rim of the mould.
  • If baking in an oven: Cook for about 45 minutes or till the custard is firm. Test by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean the pudding is done.
  • If steaming in a pressure cooker: Cook for half an hour and then check for doneness as above.
  • When cooked, cool the pudding and then chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two.
  • To serve, place a plate over the mould/ pudding cup/ ramekin cup, hold firmly in place and turn over gently. The pudding will turn over onto the plate, caramel side up! Pour some of the remaining caramel (if any) over the pudding and serve.:wave:

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Boondi Ke Laddoo

can't think of one special occasion in India at which this laddoo is not on the menu! It gets its very cute name from the Hindi word for drops or droplets - Boond. Another name for it is Motichoor Laddoo (Moti means bead or pearl in Hindi). Read the recipe and you'll see why! Once you're through reading, make some Boondi Ke Laddoo, you WILL NOT regret it!INGREDIENTS:

• 1/2 kg bengal gram flour
  • Enough milk to make a thick batter (use full cream milk)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 4 cups water
  • 1/2 kg sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsps cardamom powder (made from green cardamoms)
  • 10 strands saffron (optional but highly recommended)
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped dried fruits - cashews, almonds, pistachios
  • 6 tbsps milk
  • Ghee (recipe below) for deep frying (you could use vegetable/ canola/ sunflower oil but ghee gives tastier results)
  • Special equipment: A very fine metal sieve
PREPARATION:

• Heat your oven for 10 minutes at 150 C/ 300 F/ Gas Mark 2 and then turn off. Keep the oven shut to contain heat.
  • While the oven is heating, put the 4 cups of water and the sugar in a deep pan and boil.
  • As it boils scum will rise to the top. Skim this off with a metal sieve. The sugar syrup must be boiled till it reaches a one-thread consistency. To see how this is done, take a look at Making Sugar Syrup For Indian Desserts.
  • Once the syrup has reached the one-thread consistency, remove from the fire immediately, add the cardamom powder, stir and place the pan in the previously heated oven to keep the syrup warm.
  • Now put the bengal gram flour and baking powder in a large bowl and mix well.
  • Add a little milk at a time till you get a thick batter. Whisk to ensure all lumps are removed and the batter is very smooth.
  • Now heat the ghee on a medium flame till hot. Reduce flame a little.
  • Hold the sieve about 4 inches above the hot ghee and fill a ladle with the batter. Pour the batter into the sieve. Now use another spoon to gently press the batter through the sieve and into the ghee. It will fall like tiny drops/ beads - Boondi - into the oil! This is what gives the Laddoos their name! Press through all the batter you had put into the sieve like this.
  • Now fry the Boondi till they are a very pale golden colour. When done, drain, remove and put into a separate bowl. The fried Boondi should be cooked but not crispy.
  • Repeat till all the batter is used up.
  • Once all your Boondi is ready, coarsely crush about 1/4 of it with a fork. Add the finely chopped dried fruits, pour the warm syrup over all the Boondi and keep aside for 10 minutes. The Boondi will soak up the sugar syrup and soften.
  • While this is happening warm the 6 tbsps of milk very slightly and then soak the saffron strands in it.
  • After the Boondi has sat in the syrup for 10 minutes, pour this saffron milk (remove strands before pouring) over it. Mix well.
  • Now grease your hands lightly with some ghee and start forming the syrup-soaked Boondi into walnut-sized (or slightly larger) balls (Laddoo in Hindi). Press gently but firmly to bind the Laddoos together. Arrange as you go, on a lightly greased platter .
  • Allow the Laddoos to cool to room temperature before serving.
  • Boondi Laddoos can be made ahead of time and stored in a cool, dry place in an airtight container for about a week.:angel8:

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
selfactivated That sounds absolutely sinful! Thank You Vin :icon_smile:

when you say it sound sinful in this regard that means you dont liked it or what , not understood ????

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Almond Pistachio Triangles

Ingredients:1/3 cup coarsely powdered almonds & pistachios
2 tbsp. melon seeds (charmagaz)
2 tbsp. poppy seeds (khus khus)
1/4 tsp. cardamom (elaichi) powder
1/2 cup sugar
Oil to grease

Almond Pistachio Triangles
Method:

1. [*]In a heavy bottomed pan, add the sugar and melt it over gentle heat, stirring continuously till the sugar is light brown in color (caramelized).
    [*]Remove from the fire, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
    [*]Pour this mixture onto a greased marble or stone surface.
    [*]Using a large greased rolling pin, roll out the praline as thinly as you can.
    [*]While it is still warm, cut into triangles. Allow it to cool completely.
    [*]Store in an air-tight container.
    Serves: 4
    Preparation time: 20-25 minutes

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Coconut Egg Burfi

Ingredients:2 eggs
1 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut
2 tbsp milk powder
1 tbsp butter
A few almonds
A few pieces of dry coconut
Coconut Egg Burfi
Method:
  1. Beat the eggs well, add milk and sugar, cook on low heat till thick
  2. Allow mixture to cool, then add desiccated coconut and milk powder. Mix well.
  3. Heat butter in a pan, add in the above mixture and cook till well blended.
  4. Grease a plate, spread the mixture on to it and let it cool.
  5. Decorate with almonds and coconut pieces.
  6. Cut into desired shapes and serve.

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Paneer Ke Laddoo

ngredients:500g fresh cottage cheese
200g powdered sugar
1 tsp refined flour
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1/4 tsp rose essence
125g desiccated coconut
Paneer Ke Laddoo
Method:
  1. Mash or grind the cottage cheese to a fine paste. Mix it together with the sugar and flour.
  2. Cook in a heavy-bottomed pan on a medium flame stirring continuously.
  3. Cook for 8-12 minutes. When the mixture becomes thick and dries up, remove it from fire
  4. Add the cardamom and essence. Shape them into laddoos.
  5. Spread the desiccated coconut on a plate and roll the laddoo on it.

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Pani Puris

ani Puri recipe - Pani Puris, also commonly called 'Gol gappas' by Indians can be bought from Indian supermarkets or chaat shops in bags ready to be filled. If pani puri masala is not available, mix 1/4 tsp chilli powderr, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp kala namak, 1 tbsp tamarind pulp & a pinch of salt.
Pani puri recipe Ingredients
250g Pani Puri or gol gappa
125g black chickpeas
100g steamed bean sprouts (lentils should just begin to sprout) - optional
125g potatoes, boiled and coarsely mashed
1 bunch of mint leaves
1/2 bunch of coriander leaves
salt to taste
1/4 tsp chilli powder
6 tbsp pani poori masala
mint chutney
tamarind chutney

Method
Grind the mint and coriander leaves into a paste.
Mix pani puri masala in 2 litres of cold water. Add mint and coriander paste and the ice cubes.

Wash chick peas and soak overnight. Next day, boil in a pan or pressure cook with water and salt, until soft. Drain and keep aside.
Add salt, chilli powder to the potatoes and mix in the chick peas and the bean sprouts, if using. Make a hole on one side in each gol gappa, and fill it with a teaspoon of the potato mixture.
Top with a little mint and tamarind chutney. To eat, dip each gol gappa into the prepared water and eat.

Reactions: selfactivated

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Hindi English
Adrak
Ajwain
Aloo
Amchoor
Besan
Bhindi
Brinjal
Chana dal
Chaval
Dahi
Dhania
Elaichi
Garam masala
Ghee
Gobhi
Haldi
Mirch, mirchi
Hing
Imli
Jaggery / Gor
Jeera
Kachori
Kalonji
Karela
Lasan
Lassi
Lavang
Methi
Masoor dal
Mooli
Panchphoran

Podina
Rai
Raita
Rajma
Sag
Soonf

Ginger
Carom
Potato
Unripe Mango -powder
Chick pea flour
Okra
Aubergine
Split chick peas
Rice
Yoghurt
Coriander
Cardamom
Spice blend
Clarified butter
Cauliflower
Turmeric
Chillies
Asafoetida
Tamarind
Raw cane sugar
Cumin
Deep fried savoury pastries
Nigella
Bitter gourd
Garlic
Yoghurt drink
Cloves
Fenugreek seeds
Red split lentils
White raddish
Bengali 5-spice mix.
Cumin,Fennel,Nigella,Fenugreek,and Mustard seeds
Mint
Black mustard seeds
Seasoned yoghurt salad
Kidney beans
Spinach
Fennel seeds
Chickpea flour noodles

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Any French-Canadians amongst us? I'm asking because I would like to make my husband a French-Canadian standard dish called "sliders". Despite my French last name, I come from English stock so if anyone has a recipe to share for sliders, I'd love to have it.

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Chicken and Sliders

:love9:

Chicken and Sliders, my internet source says, is a French Canadian dish that originated during the depression. My Reader’s Digest cookbook calls it Chicken and Noodles. Either way, here’s how I make them.

Chicken Stock

Remnants (carcass, skin, fat, etc.) of one roasted chicken. Re-roast remnants about 40 minutes @ 400, turning after 20. Add to stock pot, fill with water, make broth by adding basil, salt, pepper, 2 onions, 4 carrots,4 garlic cloves, 4 celery stalks, 2 or 3 med. potatoes (all chopped up in large pieces). Boil for 3 or 4 hours. Strain through mesh style strainer, rinse stock pot, return stock to pot.

Sliders (Noodles)
2 lightly beaten eggs
6 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour
(can sub some or all of the broth for milk if broth is cool)

Mix eggs, milk and salt. Add flour to form a stiff dough. (I use my hands and use a touch more milk if too dry to mix) Roll out to about 1/8 inch, but I usually have most of it at 1/4 inch. Roll and slice in strips, unroll strips and cut into bite size pieces. ( I use a rolling pizza cutter to cut without rolling up the dough. Lenghtwise, then across. Just seems faster.) Here’s where I split from the recipe: recipe says let noodles stand at room temp for 2 hours to dry. *I* drop them in the bowl I mixed the dough in, and dump in about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of flour and toss so all noodles are coated well. Then whenever I'm ready (then, or 2 hours later :D ) I put them (and all the flour in the bowl, this thickens without an extra step) in the just boiling stock, along with bite sized carrot pieces, frozen corn, sometimes celery, and whatever chicken meat I have left. Gentle boil for 20 mins. to 1/2 hour until noodles are tenderish.

I serve this like a chicken stew, with homemade dinner rolls or a nice multi-grain bread. Recipe says noodles can be refrigerated up to 3 days, or frozen. I've made a double batch of dough, and frozen half in a lump. Yield for us is 2 dinners, and one lunch for 2 adults and 2 kids. Excellent meal for someone who is coming down with something. Mouth watering enough to interest them in eating, and nutricious. :D

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
:love9:

Chicken and Sliders, my internet source says, is a French Canadian dish that originated during the depression. My Reader’s Digest cookbook calls it Chicken and Noodles. Either way, here’s how I make them.

Chicken Stock

Remnants (carcass, skin, fat, etc.) of one roasted chicken. Re-roast remnants about 40 minutes @ 400, turning after 20. Add to stock pot, fill with water, make broth by adding basil, salt, pepper, 2 onions, 4 carrots,4 garlic cloves, 4 celery stalks, 2 or 3 med. potatoes (all chopped up in large pieces). Boil for 3 or 4 hours. Strain through mesh style strainer, rinse stock pot, return stock to pot.

Sliders (Noodles)
2 lightly beaten eggs
6 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour
(can sub some or all of the broth for milk if broth is cool)

Mix eggs, milk and salt. Add flour to form a stiff dough. (I use my hands and use a touch more milk if too dry to mix) Roll out to about 1/8 inch, but I usually have most of it at 1/4 inch. Roll and slice in strips, unroll strips and cut into bite size pieces. ( I use a rolling pizza cutter to cut without rolling up the dough. Lenghtwise, then across. Just seems faster.) Here’s where I split from the recipe: recipe says let noodles stand at room temp for 2 hours to dry. *I* drop them in the bowl I mixed the dough in, and dump in about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of flour and toss so all noodles are coated well. Then whenever I'm ready (then, or 2 hours later :D ) I put them (and all the flour in the bowl, this thickens without an extra step) in the just boiling stock, along with bite sized carrot pieces, frozen corn, sometimes celery, and whatever chicken meat I have left. Gentle boil for 20 mins. to 1/2 hour until noodles are tenderish.

I serve this like a chicken stew, with homemade dinner rolls or a nice multi-grain bread. Recipe says noodles can be refrigerated up to 3 days, or frozen. I've made a double batch of dough, and frozen half in a lump. Yield for us is 2 dinners, and one lunch for 2 adults and 2 kids. Excellent meal for someone who is coming down with something. Mouth watering enough to interest them in eating, and nutricious. :D

Thank you! Funny getting a French-Canadian sliders recipe from an Indian!