Dinning Alone

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia

OLD BAY Shrimp Fest Prepare this one-pot shrimp fest for easy, summertime entertaining! Shrimp, smoked sausage, potatoes, corn and onions are perfectly seasoned with OLD BAY Seasoning.

Ingredients

1/2 cup OLD BAY® Seasoning
2 tablespoons salt
4 quarts water
1 can (12 ounces) beer (optional)
8 medium red potatoes, cut in quarters
2 large sweet onions, cut in wedges
2 pounds lean smoked sausage, cut in 2-inch lengths
8 ears fresh corn, broken in half
4 pounds large shrimp* in shells

Directions

1. Bring OLD BAY Seasoning, salt, water and beer to boil in 8 to 12-quart pot. Add potatoes and onions; cook over high heat 8 minutes.

2. Add smoked sausage to pot; cook 5 minutes. Add corn; cook 7 minutes. Add shrimp in shells; cook 4 minutes, or until shrimp turn pink.

3. Drain cooking liquid. Pour contents of pot into several large bowls, shallow pails or mound on paper-covered picnic table. Sprinkle with additional OLD BAY Seasoning, if desired.

Trap-caught or farmed

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
LOL I thought we were still looking for grout cleaner. Looks yummy though. I printed off a couple of recipes from the site. Can't say I have ever seen Old Bay but I am sure we ahve an equivalent or I can come up with one. My spice and condiment rack is as stocked as my freezer.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Ingredients

CELERY SALT (SALT, CELERY SEED), SPICES (INCLUDING MUSTARD, RED PEPPER, BLACK PEPPER, BAY [LAUREL] LEAVES, CLOVES, ALLSPICE [PIMENTO], GINGER, MACE, CARDAMOM, CINNAMON), AND PAPRIKA.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Im skipping the pub tonight It be dangerous to someone else or me if I start tonight. Sometimes I wonder if Pan gets the biggest kick outta yanking my chain!

(sorry off topic I know)

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
GAWD Im exhausted! But Ive finished the bathroom, pantry (kitchen) and living area. Every inch washed dusted sorted tossed or donated. It looks good and feels better. I'll sleep a bit and start the last two areas. This is where I wish I had help, Im going to move the bureau and switch the altars where it is now. thinking I might change the bed too. we'll see. Night

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Some days just call for comfort food. Grilled cheese (processed swiss cheese) and tomato soup (with milk!) Becareful the cheese is hot! The only thing Ive eaten for two days is peanuts lol time for a meal.

Oh and I forgot........Oliver in the vhs. Critter used to sing it with me.

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Anything I can eat is what I call "comfort food". I'm on a seefood diet, though. I seefood, I eat it. :D (If I can fit it in).

Never was terribly fond of processed cheese. Jay Leno called it gelled goat phlegm or something to that effect. :D But, I like the tomato soup with milk and parmessan in it with real cheese grilled sandwiches and dill pickles.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Anything I can eat is what I call "comfort food". I'm on a seefood diet, though. I seefood, I eat it. :D (If I can fit it in).

Never was terribly fond of processed cheese. Jay Leno called it gelled goat phlegm or something to that effect. :D But, I like the tomato soup with milk and parmessan in it with real cheese grilled sandwiches and dill pickles.

Do you have my measuring tape?????? I cant find the damned thing!

Im not crazy about processed either but this swiss is really yummy for sauces and sandwiches.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Ive had enough. There are pluses to having a man in the house. Moving furniture in a small space is not easy! Ive pulled my hamstring and ended up with a bloody friffin nose. I made scrambled eggs for dinner and I think Ive had it. Im not done but I have tomorrow. I just have to reorganize the altars and clean the closet. Ive two big bags for the vets and 3 bags in the dumpster, Im quite proud of myself actually. Night

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
New years was mellow. Had friends over for dinner Saturday and Sunday night. We had Crusted Rack of Lamb Frenched with spicy curried rice and raisins Saturday.
1tbsp of dijon
1tbsp of oil
1tbsp of mint sauce
1/2 cup of herbed bread crumbs

sear lamb 2 minutes per side in skillet
brush on oil and dijon
pour crumbs over
place back in skillet
put skillet in preheated oven at 425'F for 15 minutes
remove from oven place on plate and cover with foil to rest for 5-10 minutes

On Sunday night we had butterflied broiled trout with a maple sweet and sour sauce and scalloped potatoes.

2- 2lb trout butterflied and deboned (might debone next time after cooking)
s&p to taste

Sweet and sour sauce
2 tbsp of pure maple syrup
2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp of olive oil

brush sauce on fish with skin side down
broil for 5 minutes skin side down on baking sheet lightly sprayed with canola oil

Other than that a mellow New Years Eve.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Im glad you had a nice New Year. I went down to the pub and had a guiness and splurged and had spicey scallops wrapped in bacon. It was good but Id make it better. It reminded me I hadnt had rumaki in awhile. Some jerk put his hand down my shirt. I took my quill and my Dragons Blood and wrote 4 pages of Intentions. As the ball dropped my last Intention was "Help Critter over to the summerland" and I didnt feel him anymore. I shot an 1800 and I sobbed, I couldnt help it. Well, then Vickie walked over (a 21 year old lesbian) She brought me over to her friends 2 gay young men. and one of the boys are Wiccan :) So we talked and tomorrow night Im going over his house to help him set up his altar. I think I'll invite him to circle in february. I found an old recipe that a friend gave me............its NOT on our diets but it IS YUMMY.

CHOCOLATE BAKLAVA

Ingredients

1 pound phyllo dough (I got it in the freezer section at Vons)
3/4 pound unsalted Butter, melted

Filling:
1 cup chopped Walnuts
1 cup Chocolate Chips
2 teaspoons Cinnamon

Syrup:
1-1/2 cups Sugar
1-1/2 cups Water
1 Lemon, juiced
1/2 cup Honey

Directions

Syrup:
In a medium saucepan combine sugar, water and lemon juice.
Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
Gradually add the honey and simmer for 5 minutes more.
Remove from heat.

Baklava:
Preheat oven to 325o.
Butter a 9 x 12 baking pan.
Combine the walnuts, chocolate chips and cinnamon, set aside.
Line the bottom of the pan with a sheet of filo and brush it with melted butter.
Add another sheet of filo and brush this second one.
Continue this way until you have used up 1/2 the package of filo (approximately 20 sheets) (If the amount of butter astounds you, you can get the same result by buttering every 2nd or 3rd layer of filo.)
Sprinkle the walnut/chocolate mixture onto the prepared filo.
Continue layering/buttering the filo on top of the chip mixture until all the filo is used up.
Using a sharp knife cut through the baklava to form diamonds (or whatever shape you can, in my case)
Bake about 1 hour or until golden brown.
Remove from oven and slowly pour the cooled syrup on top (if syrup is too thick by then, just heat it up a couple minutes again to desired consistency).

NOTE: if buying frozen phyllo dough, for sure let it thaw according to directions for easy maneuvering; I defrosted it in the microwave which made its pliability alter a bit, but didn't affect the end product at all, it was just odd to work with).

ALSO, if you're a huge chocolate fan like me, I think you could even double the chocolate chips in it (that's what I'm going to do next time)

Let cool completely and serve at room temperature.

Todays been emotional, that lump in my throat wont go away. Just overwhelmed I guess.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I have been having great results subbing the Becel 67%RSF marg for butter or oil in baking recipes. A whole lot healthier than both. Subbing cocoa for chocolate chips or baking squares is different. The amount of marg and cocoa I have to use in phenominal. So have stayed away from chocolate ingredients. If it is just a cocoa recipe I am all for it. I got some frozen phyllo dough and will be trying something with it and an apple filling.

Some jerk copped a feel? In public? Copped a feel is wrong term. Sexual assault is more like it. Unwanted sexual touching it is called up here.

You shot an 1800 and sobbed (?) Sorry don't know what that means.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Something my son and I had in common was our taste for fine tequilla (1800) at midnight I had a shot in his memory and ended up in tears, everyone happy and screaming and there I was crying. It was dumb.

The jerk got told if he touched me again Id call the cops. He was a pest trying to apologize for about 30 mins and I moved seats and his buddies made him go lay out in the car.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I still get blubbery sometimes over my brothers death and that was 4 years ago. A parent is not supposed to outlive their child so considering your loss was only last year (it's 2007 I can say that) go ahead and sob your heart and brain out.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
just gave me a headache. Not the tequilla the crying. I made shrimp tonight and that pudding dessert (the diabetic one) I like so much. Wish something decent was on tv......heroes yuck.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
STEAMED SHRIMP:
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon OLD BAY SEASONING
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1 pound shrimp

In saucepan, combine first 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Add shrimp, stir gently. Cover; steam until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, remove shells and vein on back.

That was really good. except bring it to boil add shrimp cover and turn off the heat to steam.

I bought strawberries today, sounded good for the pudding but their so ripe they didnt make it.