December 2017 Federal Byelections

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Voters in four ridings spread across the country go to the polls Monday in federal byelections that will provide a midterm report card on Justin Trudeau's Liberal government and present another tough electoral test for Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer.

Two of the ridings holding byelections — in Ontario and Newfoundland and Labrador — were last held by Liberals. The other two ridings, in Saskatchewan and British Columbia, were won by the Conservatives in 2015.

The byelection contests are happening in:

• Bonavista–Burin–Trinity in Newfoundland, last held by Liberal Judy Foote.
  • Scarborough–Agincourt in Ontario, last held by Liberal Arnold Chan.
  • Battlefords–Lloydminster in Saskatchewan, last held by Conservative Gerry Ritz.
  • South Surrey–White Rock in B.C., last held by Conservative Dianne Watts.

What to watch as Trudeau, Scheer face test in 4 byelections - Politics - CBC News

Most of the analysis I've read (including the one I linked to) says that the BC seat is the only toss up. As far as I can remember South Surrey-White Rock in BC has been strongly conservative. I'd see the seat flipping in a byelection as an upset but it would be easily explained away as an off-year anomaly. If the Liberals won White Rock this year, I wouldn't count out the Conservatives taking it back in 2019. Other ridings I'm not familiar with. Maybe other forum members know about those areas.

The pundit narrative is the usual test of leadership. Trudeau is two years in power as PM, so it's a performance review while Scheer and Singh are newly minted leaders. Byelection coverage tends towards over-analysis, but it's still fun.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Looking at the previous elections and 2015, it looks like that Saskatchewan riding is a Conservative landslide, which means that it won't mean much if the Conservatives win again.

As for the BC riding, I was working only on memory when I said it was Conservative dominated. That's still true, but it was very close on 2015. Just over a thousand votes between the Conservative winner and the Liberal runner up. I guess that's a better test of both leaders than I thought.

justlooking

Council Member
May 19, 2017
The NFLD and the ON ridings should be easy holds for the Libs.:neutral:
Shocking considering the government's performance.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
if the voters cared about the performance of the federal government the conservatives would have been wiped out after 10 years of harper.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
if the voters cared about the performance of the federal government the conservatives would have been wiped out after 10 years of harper.

Hardly. SOme of us like responsible government that can keep taxes low and promote Canada to investors. Now we have a clown that gives millions of our tax dollars to known terrorists and nothing for our vets.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hardly. SOme of us like responsible government that can keep taxes low and promote Canada to investors. Now we have a clown that gives millions of our tax dollars to known terrorists and nothing for our vets.

I predict with this clown it will just be a matter of time before income tax splitting for seniors will go the way of the Dodo. Oops is there a pun there somewhere? :)

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017

lol

Harper went $150 billion into debt after being handed a country with 8 straight balanced budgets.

The only way he ever balanced one was to get a whole bunch back from his vet's affairs dept. because they didn't spend it on vet's

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Won’t result in a change of gubmint so it doesn’t matter to anyone outside those ridings.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Whenever I think of Saskatchewan compared to the rest of Canada, I kinda feel like it's the equivalent of rooting for the Florida Panthers as your favourite hockey team.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
lol

Harper went $150 billion into debt after being handed a country with 8 straight balanced budgets.

The only way he ever balanced one was to get a whole bunch back from his vet's affairs dept. because they didn't spend it on vet's

Harper had the bad luck of having several minority governments and was forced into spending money we didn't have by an opposition that wanted nothing better than to have him fail.
Thank you for playing though.The previous Liberal "balanced" budgets were only balanced by stealing from EIC and down loading costs on the provinces.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Harper had the bad luck of having several minority governments and was forced into spending money we didn't have by an opposition that wanted nothing better than to have him fail.
Thank you for playing though.The previous Liberal "balanced" budgets were only balanced by stealing from EIC and down loading costs on the provinces.
whatever. its always something.

the victim card is getting worn out

cbc calling the NL seat for the liberals

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
whatever. its always something.

the victim card is getting worn out

cbc calling the NL seat for the liberals

You might do well to listen to taxslave and heed his advice. Unlike you he's been "around the block" a time or two.