deaths

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Gerry and the Pacemakers singer Gerry Marsden, whose version of You'll Never Walk Alone became a football terrace anthem for his hometown club of Liverpool, has died at the age of 78.

His family said he died on Sunday after a short illness not linked to Covid-19.

Marsden's band was one of the biggest success stories of the Merseybeat era, and in 1963 became the first to have their first three songs top the chart.

The band's other best known hit, Ferry Cross The Mersey, came in 1964.

It was written by Marsden himself as a tribute to his city, and reached number eight.

Marsden was made an MBE in 2003 for services to charity after supporting victims of the 1989 Hillsborough Disaster.

At the time, he said he was "over the moon" to have received the honour, following his support for numerous charities across Merseyside and beyond.

Gerry Marsden

Gerry Marsden in 2009 on the Mersey ferry, which he made famous with his song Ferry Cross The Mersey, as he received the Freedom of the City in Liverpool

Marsden's daughter, Yvette Marbeck, said he went into hospital on Boxing Day after tests showed he had a serious blood infection that had travelled to his heart.

Ms Marbeck told the PA news agency: "It was a very short illness and too quick to comprehend really."

He died in hospital, Ms Marbeck said, adding: "He was our dad, our hero, warm, funny and what you see is what you got."

Liverpool FC posted on social media that Marsden's words would "live on forever with us".

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Liverpool fans sing You'll Never Walk Alone after Liverpool won the 2019 Champions League:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I can see why you lot are always depicted as the bad guys in the movies.
Oh, I wish! Believe me, I enjoyed the "menacing savage" SO much more than the candy-ass "spiritually enlightened child of the earth" shit they're pushing on us now!

It's not racist to say we're mostly poor, drunk, and violent, it's just accurate. What kind of spiritually aware children of the earth drive around in POS junkers that spew smoke everywhere? They're called "rez cars" because the reservation authorities don't require any sort of safety or mechanical-soundness standards, generally.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Oh, I wish! Believe me, I enjoyed the "menacing savage" SO much more than the candy-ass "spiritually enlightened child of the earth" shit they're pushing on us now!

It's not racist to say we're mostly poor, drunk, and violent, it's just accurate. What kind of spiritually aware children of the earth drive around in POS junkers that spew smoke and motor oil everywhere? They're called "rez cars" because the reservation authorities don't require any sort of safety or mechanical-soundness standards, generally.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

It's not racist to say we're mostly poor, drunk, and violent, it's just accurate. What kind of spiritually aware children of the earth drive around in POS junkers that spew smoke everywhere? They're called "rez cars" because the reservation authorities don't require any sort of safety or mechanical-soundness standards, generally.
Crazy as it sounds, but I actually agree with you.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Weird, enit? Nah, it's only racist to insist that because I'm Native, I must be poor, drunk and violent.

I ain't poor.

You're the one who brought up racism, not me. I was actually just being nice and replying to a thread.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You're the one who brought up racism, not me. I was actually just being nice and replying to a thread.
That's fine. You're right, I'm the one who brought it up. I don't see us having any disagreement here.

Maybe I'll start calling you Henry VIII, after the song, considering "the widder next door."

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
That's fine. You're right, I'm the one who brought it up. I don't see us having any disagreement here.

Maybe I'll start calling you Henry VIII, after the song, considering "the widder next door."
Herman's Hermits, 1965.

It's weird. I actually like singing that song when I'm at work.