Costco -- the Bible is fiction

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
They are thicker and heavier than the Koran, a bible or the Talmud or the Torah hurled at <42k will kill an ox the Koran will cause superfishall damage only. No the science and logic is clearly indiicating your grievous miscalculations.

Mustn't upset the Muslims, eh? Christians are okay to pick on, but it just isn't PC to attack Islam, is it?

Anyway, back in the real world, the fact is that the ten most evil teachings in human history are all found in the Koran. The size of the Koran is irrelevant.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah. And that's what it's usually classed in. That's the non-fiction reference section, where it's usually placed.

What makes you think management would even know what a Dewey Decimal system is, much less their clients? They're pandering to customers who need to be shown stuff like this:

Why don't you just go and tell them to change the label to say "Theology", or if that's too complicated, "Faith"?

I don't read the Koran. I'm Christian.
Why, are you afraid it might convert you?

You should. Ever heard of "Know Thine Enemy"?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What makes you think management would even know what a Dewey Decimal system is, much less their clients? They're pandering to customers who need to be shown stuff like this:

Why don't you just go and tell them to change the label to say "Theology", or if that's too complicated, "Faith"?

As I've already said, according to the Dewey Decimal system, Bibles and other similar works range from 220-229, falling under the category of Religious (non-fiction), which ranges from 200-299. Most works of fiction fall into short sections of the 800-899 Literature section. Most libraries follow this system, and bookstores often follow similar systems.

It seems that the staff at this bookstore are a little confused. If I was in that bookshop I'd be straight to the counter to point out their mistake.

Why, are you afraid it might convert you?

No. It's because I'm Church of England, and I believe in the Bible, not the Koran.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
As I've already said, according to the Dewey Decimal system, Bibles and other similar works range from 220-229, falling under the category of Religious (non-fiction), which ranges from 200-299. Most works of fiction fall into short sections of the 800-899 Literature section. Most libraries follow this system, and bookstores often follow similar systems.

And as I already said, what makes you think management or consumers would know how to interpret books labeled with the Dewey Decimal system in a stores... it's not a library.

It seems that the staff at this bookstore are a little confused.
Either that or extremely agnostic.

If I was in that bookshop I'd be straight to the counter to point out their mistake.
How? Make them change the label to say "220" as the category? It would be fun to watch your anual performance review.

No. It's because I'm Church of England, and I believe in the Bible, not the Koran.
So? What harm would it do to read it? Are you afraid it would convert you? Don't you want to know what motivates your enemy?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And as I already said, what makes you think management

If they don't they shouldn't be working there.

or consumers would know how to interpret books labeled with the Dewey Decimal
system in a stores... it's not a library.

I'm assuming most consumers would use their commonsense when going into a bookstore and not search for a Bible in the fiction section.

So? What harm would it do to read it? Are you afraid it would convert you? Don't you want to know what motivates your enemy?

How would you like it if I tried to force a Muslim or an atheist to read the Bible?

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
If they don't they shouldn't be working there.

If they do they'd probably be happier working in a library.

I'm assuming most consumers would use their commonsense when going into a bookstore and not search for a Bible in the fiction section.
Common sense is not the same as knowlege of the Dewey Decimal system. Common sense would be to go to the store and tell them to change the label to "Theology" or "Faith".

How would you like it if I tried to force a Muslim or an atheist to read the Bible?
Nobody's forcing you to. The question was, why wouldn't you voluntarily read it just for the knowlege? Are you afraid it will convert you? Don't you want to know what's motivating your enemy?

I have, along with the Baghavad Ghit, Buddhavacana texts, the Book of Mormon, Christian Apocrypha, Gnostic Scriptures, etc., and it didn't hurt my core principals one bit.

The Koran is kind of annoying the way they organized it according to size of chapters rather than chronologically, but otherwise its got some interesting stuff in there. It goes into a lot more detail about the life of Mary, mother of Jesus, than you find in the Bible, and it points to the homeland of the Queen of Sheba, which archeologists have checked out, and turns out it might be right.

In terms of codes of conduct, it's so much like the Bible than the main problem is you'll feel like you've heard it all before, so bring lots of coffee.

In any case, if the way Costco labels the Bible bugs you that much, then what you do is recruit allies.

Specifically, you buy some Korans, stick copies of the "Fiction" label on them, toss them into the bin, then call the local Mosque and give them an anonymous tip, and stand back to watch the fur fly.

At some point you can step in and suggest to management they change the labeling to "Theology" or "Faith", and with that little bit of peacemaking you get to be called a child of God.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Some Sanhedrin quotes would really get this party rockin'. They make the Koran look like a book of love in comparison.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Some Sanhedrin quotes would really get this party rockin'. They make the Koran look like a book of love in comparison.

No doubt.

Are there Jews today who take Sanhedrin quotes as anything more than history? i.e., Are there Jewish groups operating private courts where they use Sanhedrin statements as precedents?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
[SIZE=+1]Sanhedrin 59a[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]To communicate anything to a Goy(pig) about our religious relations would be equal to the killing of all Jews, for if the Goyim(pigs) knew what we teach about them, they would kill us openly.[/SIZE]

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
[SIZE=+1]Sanhedrin 59a[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]To communicate anything to a Goy(pig) about our religious relations would be equal to the killing of all Jews, for if the Goyim(pigs) knew what we teach about them, they would kill us openly.[/SIZE]

Woah... I bet telling Nazi SS that the Sanhedrin was abolished in 358 AD didn't help with *that* one.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
If they do they'd probably be happier working in a library.

If they don't know such a system they should be working in a bookshop, which has a similar system. It's commonsense.

Common sense is not the same as knowlege of the Dewey Decimal system. Common
sense would be to go to the store and tell them to change the label to
"Theology" or "Faith".

I'm no expert on the Dewey Decimal system, but commonsense (which many people seem to lack nowadays) would tell me not to go looking for a book on Neolithic Britain in the Sports section of the bookshop.

Likewise, commonsense would tell me not to go looking for the Bible in the Fiction section (unless I was in Costco).

Nobody's forcing you to. The question was, why wouldn't you voluntarily read it just for the knowlege?

What knowledge would that be? How to stone adulterous women, hang nufters and behead infidels?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm no expert on the Dewey Decimal system,
Clearly.

but commonsense (which many people seem to lack nowadays) would tell me not to go looking for a book on Neolithic Britain in the Sports section of the bookshop.
No, the Current Affairs section would be appropriate.

Likewise, commonsense would tell me not to go looking for the Bible in the Fiction section (unless I was in Costco).
The Science Fiction/Fantasy section would be appropriate.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
The Bible should not be in the non-fiction section. I, and many hundreds of millions of others, find the fact that it is, in that library, to be extremely offensive.

Being offended by it isnt an argument against putting it in the fiction section.

Im an atheist and have read both. I have a copy of both of them as well. The Bible was a big part of why I stopped believing. I found it very funny that people actually expected me to believe it.

And on another point about Muslims getting a pass - no. Their book should also be in the fiction section if it isnt already. Perhaps philosophy as well with the other religious books.

Anyway, back in the real world, the fact is that the ten most evil teachings in human history are all found in the Koran. The size of the Koran is irrelevant.

Given the fact that you havent read the book how could you know this to be true? You dont even know whats in it one way or another.

What knowledge would that be? How to stone adulterous women, hang nufters and behead infidels?

You can learn about all of that in the Bible.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

It seems that the staff at this bookstore are a little confused. If I was in that bookshop I'd be straight to the counter to point out their mistake.

qSo because you choose to believe a work of fiction that is produced in your country any works of fiction produced in other countries must be evil. Gotcha.

If they don't know such a system they should be working in a bookshop, which has a similar system. It's commonsense.

I'm no expert on the Dewey Decimal system, but commonsense (which many people seem to lack nowadays) would tell me not to go looking for a book on Neolithic Britain in the Sports section of the bookshop.

Actually it is not common sense. The Dewy Decimal System is an arbitrary system that most libraries chose to follow.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver

You meant to say, "they should *not* be working in a bookshop", right?

If you were a Cosco bookstore manager, common-sense would tell you not to categorize your books according to the Dewey Decimal system, because their clientel are very unlikely to be able to find anything according to the DDS.

In any case, if it bugs you, just tell the manager to change the category to something like "Theology" or "Faith".

If you're athiest or agnostic that's a very common-sense section to stick it in. Maybe the bookshop manager figured that people who believe the Bible already have one, therefore the market would be people who don't own a Bible but want to read it, and for those people, odds are they think the Bible is fiction.

Right in there along with how to sell your daughters into slavery, how to sacrifice bulls, how to genocide Caananites, etc.

BTW - You make reference to stoning adulterers... I bet you're thinking of the story where Jesus says, "Let he who is without sin throw the first stone", right?

Did you know that tale wasn't in the original Gospel? It got added by a scribe somewhere around the 6th century.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Actually it is not common sense. The Dewy Decimal System is an arbitrary system that most libraries chose to follow.

Silence, heretic! The Dewey Decimal System was ordained by GAWD!

Dewey was a Yank, by the way. Seems Blackloaf hates Moose-lums even more'n he hates us. Ain't that sweet?